This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Designer of XCOM tries to sell it at a game store, fails.

#21IWUPosted 10/4/2012 10:12:22 AM
I will get this game sometime before the year ends but it's not quite a day 1 for me.
---
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
#22DaLaggaPosted 10/4/2012 10:14:57 AM
MR_Soren posted...
Strategy is alive and well. It just doesn't appeal to the mainstream "Press Button, Receive Content" crowd that dominates the sales charts.

Strategy games are alive and well on PC, yeah. But on console, they've been dead a long time. Which was kind of the point of my post. Console gaming went mainstream and it basically killed the genre on console because most of those gamers want to just mash buttons and watch perdy colors sparkle across the screen.
#23memphis12Posted 10/4/2012 10:22:49 AM
Wait.... Some of you guys actually thought this video was for real? *sigh* $120 for god sake, come on.......
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#24MR_SorenPosted 10/4/2012 10:51:34 AM
Luthor_ posted...
Ugh, not all gamers avoid strategy games because they are braindead. Which should really be obvious with the sales RPG's get, which do require some sort of thinking.

Most RPGs really don't require much critical decision making, but the players believe themselves to be intellectuals because there is no requirement for physical ability and there are numbers on the screen.

Ultimately, most RPGs are still about consuming content rather than critical decision making.

I think a lot of people would love XCOM if they gave it a serious chance, but I think it will be extremely difficult to get people to try it out. I also expect that the demo will not do it justice.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#25MR_SorenPosted 10/4/2012 10:53:47 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26PsychoDrama1Posted 10/4/2012 11:02:55 AM
I am so so so psyched for this game.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#27FiendingHard(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 11:49:07 AM
Luthor_ posted...
Ugh, not all gamers avoid strategy games because they are braindead. Which should really be obvious with the sales RPG's get, which do require some sort of thinking.

RTS games usually don't translate well onto consoles, mostly because of the controllers. After playing AoE on PC, I could never play Halo Wars again. And don't even get me started on C&C.

XCOM isn't RTS, its turn based.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Final Fantasy 6
#28_Vuvuzela_Posted 10/4/2012 1:09:02 PM
This guy couldn't even sell free offers. This is sad.
#29darkharePosted 10/4/2012 5:05:06 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
^flinging crap without stating any valid reasons why..

Yeah, just like saying "This game is gonna bomb".

i hope this game doesnt bomb, but tbs and rts are a niche genre on console. i dont have any doubts that it'll sell modestly well on pc, on console though i highly doubt it will sell very well which i find disappointing because i dont game on my pc i work using it.
---
all my posts are quality, its you reading them that dirties 'em up.