This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls or Skyrim?

#31MR_SorenPosted 10/4/2012 5:57:59 AM
It is interesting how so many people are openly hostile towards Dark Souls. Like they can't accept that some people like something different.

Ultimately it is a question of whether you want tons of content or great gameplay. The games typically appeal to different people, or at least in different ways.

On a long enough timeline, gameplay always trumps content because the content eventually runs out. However, it cannot be denied that Skyrim has a ridiculously large amount of content, and fans of that can keep themselves occupied for a long time.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#32a687947Posted 10/4/2012 6:03:15 AM
MR_Soren posted...
It is interesting how so many people are openly hostile towards Dark Souls. Like they can't accept that some people like something different.

Ultimately it is a question of whether you want tons of content or great gameplay. The games typically appeal to different people, or at least in different ways.

On a long enough timeline, gameplay always trumps content because the content eventually runs out. However, it cannot be denied that Skyrim has a ridiculously large amount of content, and fans of that can keep themselves occupied for a long time.

are you trying to say that skyrim only has a lot of content and not great gameplay? i thought that the combat and movement in dark souls was slow and cumbersome, and that the gameplay in skyrim was much better, combat included.
#33MR_SorenPosted 10/4/2012 7:04:37 AM
a687947 posted...
are you trying to say that skyrim only has a lot of content and not great gameplay? i thought that the combat and movement in dark souls was slow and cumbersome, and that the gameplay in skyrim was much better, combat included.

I'm not trying, I did say it. You comment also shows a lack of experience. You could play with a faster weapon or lighter equipment load. Dark Souls has extremely good movement and controls if you take the time to learn it.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#349inchesDeepPosted 10/4/2012 7:40:10 AM
Dark Souls is fun to play.

Skyrim is dull and boring. Maybe if you like to take walks in the park, that game would be fun for you.
#35a687947Posted 10/4/2012 7:46:19 AM
MR_Soren posted...
a687947 posted...

I'm not trying, I did say it. You comment also shows a lack of experience. You could play with a faster weapon or lighter equipment load. Dark Souls has extremely good movement and controls if you take the time to learn it.

it doesnt show lack of anything, i did try several different weapon types in dark souls, the controls themselves are awkward and slow to respond, i spent close to 15 hours constantly trying out the different weapons i found. the gameplay in skyrim is much better and just as varied, if not more.
#36DaLaggaPosted 10/4/2012 9:21:36 AM
MR_Soren posted...

The problem with DS combat is that it's just about memorizing patterns. There's really not much skill involved at all beyond that. You don't need to be fast or use much strategy at all. Not that Skyrim's melee combat is better, but DS combat is massively overrated.

And when it comes to other combat systems like ranged, magic, and stealth, Skyrim curb stomps Dark Souls into oblivion (har har). I tried rolling a mage in Dark Souls and literally started falling sleep at the controls. Having to spam one offensive spell (with only a tiny handful of minor variations) for the first 1/3 of the game is just boring beyond belief. And things don't get much better by the endgame even if magic is massively OP and can easily break the game. I don't think I need to even mention stealth or ranged since those aspects of DS are so laughably bad that I could think of games from the 90's that implemented them better.

It's also worth mentioning that Skyrim was properly designed for PC to support the modding community and as a result, there are mods to fix and improve just about anything you didn't like about the game as well as add tons of new content. With Dark Souls however, From Software ended up demonstrating their incompetence and as a result the PC version will likely never be anywhere near as modable as Skyrim (even if modders were able to fix the framerate and resolution locks).

In short, most of the aspects that DS is praised for (difficulty and its melee combat) are really overrated. The game isn't very hard and the melee combat gets bland, boring, and repetitive quickly. However, most of the aspects that Skyrim is known for (exploration, customization, quests, etc.) remain strong and engaging even after hundreds of hours of gameplay.
#37aDRE8Posted 10/4/2012 10:15:32 AM
9inchesDeep posted...
Dark Souls is fun to play.

Skyrim is dull and boring. Maybe if you like to take walks in the park, that game would be fun for you.

That's almost exactly how I feel.

I've played both for hours, Dark Souls is just something else. Loved playing the entire game.

As for Skyrim, it's good, but got boring pretty quickly...just not my cup of tea.
#38Game Player05Posted 10/4/2012 12:03:30 PM
You are comparing an action hack and slash with RPG elements to an actual fully fledged RPG.

Let's compare Borderlands to Final Fantasy next.
---
Meh, new sig time.
#39superbowl54Posted 10/4/2012 12:40:01 PM
JON4495 posted...
majicray2112 posted...
Skyrim is better for me. Dark Souls--the world seems dead; it's like a crazy dream that you are in hell. Skyrim has color , you can ride horses, has better combat and is more fun.

lol

lol x 2.

A text adventure game has better combat than Skyrim
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Uncharted 3, Metro 2033, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, Dragon's Dogma
#40darealest47Posted 10/4/2012 12:51:52 PM
Both but I personally prefer dark souls
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec