This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys think Portal 2 is a good entry to introduce my GF into gaming?

#1BlueFir3Posted 10/4/2012 6:49:26 AM
As you can tell, my girlfriend is not a gamer. Actually, she has a bad view on games because she has a younger brother who has a pretty bad addiction to video games. Anyway.. Ive tried out new stuff that she likes to do, even if it isnt my thing, and a while back, she told me that she actually wants to try to get into gaming for my sake. Mainly because i was able to convince her that gaming is not as bad as her brother represents it. I tell her its not just for fun, but modern games can be played for an experience that both books and movies can offer (she loves both).

Anyway, i noticed she has a huge thing for clever puzzles. I gave her my 3DS first and let her play Professor Layton. She loved it, and actually solve EVERY puzzle herself (maaaybe with a little help from me for a few, lol). She also watched me play Red Dead Redemption and Catherine, and she was really digging the story of those two.

So, i was thinking, for her first console game, Portal 2 would be the ideal choice. Puzzles are extremely clever, and the story surprisingly intriguing with hilarious characters, and theres co-op. I know this choice might sound like a great choice, but theres always those little things that ruin it. For example, i thought the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series would be great for her (i LOVE that series), but she said she got bored.. (the investigation parts, that is)

For people whonsay TL;DR, i dont blame you, aha. Main question is my topic title. So what do you guys think?
#2DyingPancakePosted 10/4/2012 6:51:33 AM
You should probably introduce her with a game thats actually fun
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 0
#3KtuluheroIIPosted 10/4/2012 6:52:30 AM
Ninja Gaiden Black/2
---
WINNING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1hLduV1p88
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 10/4/2012 6:53:43 AM
Is she loves stories then try some Final Fantasies and Metal Gears eventually. Eventually.
---
My Darksiders II Review:
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/988570-darksiders-ii/reviews/review-151743
#5FarlanderPosted 10/4/2012 6:56:49 AM
This might be a good choice. The only problem I can think of is that FPS-like controls like this can be very hard to get used to for people just coming into it. She may get frustrated with that.
#6Dragon NexusPosted 10/4/2012 6:58:45 AM(edited)
No, it isn't. It requires a lot of play with both analogue sticks and on occasion some quick reaction times.

Watch this.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sharing-our-medium
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 10/4/2012 7:02:29 AM
Actually, introduce her with FF games since most of them don't require quick reactions.
---
My Darksiders II Review:
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/988570-darksiders-ii/reviews/review-151743
#8SunDevil77Posted 10/4/2012 7:02:55 AM
Pokemon Black/White is where it's at.
---
When I eat, it is the food that is scared.
#9KtuluheroIIPosted 10/4/2012 7:05:16 AM
If you want to be a jerk have her play Slender one night. If you have a Kinect you can't go wrong with the Dance Central series.
---
WINNING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1hLduV1p88
#10SheepinatorPosted 10/4/2012 7:06:35 AM(edited)
I think you'd be better off with a co-op Arcade game. Portal 2 is great, but for a new player to gaming the FPS controls could be off putting. There are a lot of good Arcade games that support co-op: Trine 2 (has physics puzzles, gorgeous graphics), Lara Croft (good puzzles in there), Castle Crashers, Simpsons Arcade, Dungeon Defenders, Toy Soldiers Cold War (on sale next week).

And since these all have demos, you can easily find which she prefers.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.