This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think streaming part of the graphics will become the norm in future?

#1reptileeggPosted 10/4/2012 1:03:57 PM
Like in Battlefield 3? That game I believe has a HD upgrade thing where it streams some of the graphics.
#2SodapopVIIPosted 10/4/2012 1:08:40 PM
Eh?
---
Gamefaqs user since 1999.
#3reptileegg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 1:14:51 PM
SodapopVII posted...
Eh?

I thought the HD install on BF3 thing made it stream part of the textures. But now I think maybe not. The clue might be the word install.
#4Dragon NexusPosted 10/4/2012 1:18:51 PM
Texture streaming has been a part of gaming for a long time now, even before this generation. There's no point in rendering the high res textures of an object miles ahead of you, or behind you.

If, however, you mean the idea of downloading better textures to save on disc space, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. Though it would suck for those with slower net connections.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#5reptileegg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 1:23:14 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Texture streaming has been a part of gaming for a long time now, even before this generation. There's no point in rendering the high res textures of an object miles ahead of you, or behind you.

If, however, you mean the idea of downloading better textures to save on disc space, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. Though it would suck for those with slower net connections.

yes it is not fair on people who have bad connections for no fault of their own - there are prob a lot of people who can't play online multiplayer but can play single player. To make texture streaming in a 1 player game game is not fair on them because then what do they do? Move to the big city or play on their SNES.
#6Dragon NexusPosted 10/4/2012 1:56:36 PM
Honestly though, in the next generation the consoles will likely not be using DVDs, so the whole disc space issue should be moot.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#7reptileegg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 3:12:30 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Honestly though, in the next generation the consoles will likely not be using DVDs, so the whole disc space issue should be moot.

But does the PS3 use Blu-Ray for games?
#8SheepinatorPosted 10/4/2012 3:18:46 PM
There is a lot of mis-information in here.

There are two different problems - disc space, and disc speed. Those are two reasons to install to HDD. Blu-rays are slow, which is probably why many PS3 games have mandatory installs. Textures can be streamed from HDD, which means no internet access, or in theory they could be streamed from the internet, which would be a terrible idea anyway, since every time you entered and left an area it would have to stream data again.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#9reptileegg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 3:21:39 PM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...

There are two different problems - disc space, and disc speed. Those are two reasons to install to HDD. Blu-rays are slow, which is probably why many PS3 games have mandatory installs. Textures can be streamed from HDD, which means no internet access, or in theory they could be streamed from the internet, which would be a terrible idea anyway, since every time you entered and left an area it would have to stream data again.

So Xbox BF3 is streaming from the HDD?
#10Super CreaturesPosted 10/4/2012 5:35:15 PM
Sheepinator posted...

Even in your own post.

Blu-rays are slow, which is probably why many PS3 games have mandatory installs.

No, the gen-1 Blu-ray player used in the PS3 is slow, read speeds have greatly improved in the last 6 years, and newer players are not as slow as what was available when the PS3 was first released.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.