This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think streaming part of the graphics will become the norm in future?

#11SheepinatorPosted 10/4/2012 9:59:23 PM
Super Creatures posted...
Sheepinator posted...
There is a lot of mis-information in here.

Even in your own post.

Blu-rays are slow, which is probably why many PS3 games have mandatory installs.

No, the gen-1 Blu-ray player used in the PS3 is slow, read speeds have greatly improved in the last 6 years, and newer players are not as slow as what was available when the PS3 was first released.

Seek times are the issue. I don't see anything in your post that qualifies as mis-information on my part.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#12RenamonPosted 10/4/2012 10:52:57 PM
reptileegg posted...
So Xbox BF3 is streaming from the HDD?

I seriously doubt it streams from the internet. Because that would be slow.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#13Dragon NexusPosted 10/5/2012 5:07:27 AM
I don't see anything in your post that qualifies as mis-information on my part.

Except, I dunno, that part he quoted from your post.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#14SheepinatorPosted 10/5/2012 5:40:22 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I don't see anything in your post that qualifies as mis-information on my part.

Except, I dunno, that part he quoted from your post.

Yeah, you don't know. This stuff is common knowledge. Examples below, and the data duplication is to cut down on seek times:

[It's] great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the Blu-ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360's DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if you're streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream

For instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you're storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem

- Jason Booth, Turbine and Harmonix Developer who produced titles such as Rock Band, and Guitar Hero.

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-360-better-than-ps3-part-one-hardware

reports that hidden away in an EGM story about Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD, a quote by Todd Howard on the PS3 version of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion raises eyebrows. Howard said: "Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower." Furthermore, EGM noted that "...the PS3 Oblivion team compensated for the slower drive by duplicating data across the Blu-ray disc, making it faster to find and load."

Replicating data in order to compensate for slow "seek time" does seem to negate the advantage of having higher capacity. Anyway, people have noted that replication of data to lower seek times have been done before, particularly in the PSP and with the UMD format. However they still add that it does negate, somewhat, the storage advantage.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/todd-howard-on-blu-ray-and-data-duplication.html
---
#15Super CreaturesPosted 10/5/2012 10:25:47 AM
You are still talking gen-1 tech, not what is available today.

Yes, the gen-1 tech is slow, but gen-1 tech has not been relevant in 6 years.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#16SheepinatorPosted 10/5/2012 10:50:55 AM
Super Creatures posted...
You are still talking gen-1 tech, not what is available today.

Yes, the gen-1 tech is slow, but gen-1 tech has not been relevant in 6 years.

So, the post you claimed has mis-information was accurate. I'd like to see your source for claiming that PS3 BR has been faster for six years. I'm still using a launch PS3 btw, and all the games still work on it.
---
#17Super CreaturesPosted 10/5/2012 11:45:52 AM
You didn't say that the PS3 was slow, you said blu-ray, as a whole, not on a single device, was slow.

Yes, gen-1 tech is slow, that does not mean that as a whole that the tech is slow.
---
#18SheepinatorPosted 10/5/2012 11:55:42 AM
Clearly the context is streaming and HDD installs of game data. How fast your home BR dedicated player is, is irrelevant here and you know it.

Still waiting on the info about how PS3's have had faster drives for six years, btw you might want to check the dates in those articles from actual developers above, also why you suggest early machines which are still in use aren't relevant.
---
#19IvanKozlovPosted 10/5/2012 12:02:21 PM
Sheepinator posted...
Clearly the context is streaming and HDD installs of game data. How fast your home BR dedicated player is, is irrelevant here and you know it.

Still waiting on the info about how PS3's have had faster drives for six years, btw you might want to check the dates in those articles from actual developers above, also why you suggest early machines which are still in use aren't relevant.

They don't. However you stated "Blu-Rays are slow" you didn't say the Blu Ray drive in the Ps3 is slow. Making your post factually incorrect. As for why the Blu Ray drive in the Ps3 hasn't been upgraded to be faster, this is because it would alienate people with the first gen Blu Ray drives, and that is bad for business.
---
I'll not stop moving forward. I'll not regret a single step I had taken. That's why...I order you...Do not betray me! And do not leave my side! No matter what.
#20Super CreaturesPosted 10/5/2012 12:06:28 PM
And this topic is about future practices, and the future includes next-gen.

I highly doubt they will be using 6 year old drives in next-gen consoles, so saying that, as a whole, blu-ray is slow, even within the context of this topic, is false.
---