This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cheap wifi-adapters to use with my old Elite?

#1The_MadnessPosted 10/5/2012 5:29:59 PM
For years, I've had an ethernet cable running through the floors to where my Xbox 360 is, and finally after moving, I can't do that anymore.

I could just pick up a Slim for about $99 in Canada at Future Shop right now, but then my old Elite still works perfectly. I called to get a trade-in price and they told me $35 for the console, and $18 for my 120gb hard drive.

I have a feeling Microsoft is coming out with a new version of the xbox 360 soon or some new SKU's, because they are clearing out stock like crazy on the 4gb slim here. I was $119 at Amazon.ca a few weeks ago, and now Future Shop has it for $99 online.

I looked at the official adapters, but they cost more than what my entire console is worth to trade in. Is there any cheap adapters out there that will work fine? What about those slim USB D-Link adapters that look like a flash drive? Are they any good?
#2The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 5:47:15 PM
C'mon people... Will I be able to use any type of wifi adapter that plugs in with USB or no?
#3darealest47Posted 10/5/2012 5:49:18 PM
I don't know if you have the exchange near your area but they got USB wireless adapters for $50. Don't go to GameStop they'll rip you off.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#4The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 5:55:56 PM
That's a bit steep. I'd rather just get the $99 slim then, and look for some cheap hdd case that I could open and put my Elite hard drive into.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/tp-link-tp-link-wireless-n-usb-adapter-tl-wn722n-tl-wn722n/10161799.aspx?path=6ae70635f50b219b387b1e4290bc80efen02

Would something like the above work for the xbox 360?
#5darealest47Posted 10/5/2012 6:02:39 PM
I think it can work but you'll need to set up a wireless bridge connection for the USB wireless adapter and your access point. The official 360 wireless already has that done for you but it's up to you.
---
#6The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 6:05:42 PM
Damn...I thought it would just be plug and play. I'm debating whether to get the Slim now, depite a perfectly functioning Elite.

I looked and Amazon sells hard drive cases so you no longer have to try and get your old hard drive to fit, you just put open your old hard drive, put it into this case, that fits perfectly.

Thanks for the help though. When I think about it, Microsoft has made me spend so much money this gen, on it's accessories and stuff. It wasn't bad enough I had to get entirely new consoles since the ones they kept repairing finally were out of warranty.
#7darealest47Posted 10/5/2012 6:14:24 PM
"Damn...I thought it would just be plug and play. I'm debating whether to get the Slim now, depite a perfectly functioning Elite.
I looked and Amazon sells hard drive cases so you no longer have to try and get your old hard drive to fit, you just put open your old hard drive, put it into this case, that fits perfectly.
Thanks for the help though. When I think about it, Microsoft has made me spend so much money this gen, on it's accessories and stuff. It wasn't bad enough I had to get entirely new consoles since the ones they kept repairing finally were out of warranty."

I keep telling people that they be better off with a ps3. It already had built in wifi from the get go and has more games than just the usual halo/gears
---
#8The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 6:21:29 PM
darealest47 posted...
"Damn...I thought it would just be plug and play. I'm debating whether to get the Slim now, depite a perfectly functioning Elite.
Thanks for the help though. When I think about it, Microsoft has made me spend so much money this gen, on it's accessories and stuff. It wasn't bad enough I had to get entirely new consoles since the ones they kept repairing finally were out of warranty."

I keep telling people that they be better off with a ps3. It already had built in wifi from the get go and has more games than just the usual halo/gears

Yeah but when you buy an xbox 360 in 2005, and the ps3 doesn't come out until 2006, not much you can do. By that time, I'd already invested too much into the xbox 360.

Next generation, I'm no longer buying consoles at launch. Since the SNES days, I've bought consoles at launch, but I don't play much anymore, and you usually can wait to see how it's shaping up.
#9darealest47Posted 10/5/2012 6:30:00 PM
"Yeah but when you buy an xbox 360 in 2005, and the ps3 doesn't come out until 2006, not much you can do. By that time, I'd already invested too much into the xbox 360.
Next generation, I'm no longer buying consoles at launch. Since the SNES days, I've bought consoles at launch, but I don't play much anymore, and you usually can wait to see how it's shaping up."

Call me crazy but I think these types of games makes people grow tire of them. People complain about halo/gears all the time and these were the same people that loved these games when it first came out. I don't know maybe people are just getting sick of shooters or games in general but I do agree about what you said about not getting a new system at launch as I barely even use the 360 anymore.
---
#10SarlaccPosted 10/5/2012 7:26:59 PM
if you game online you have no business using WIFI. Get with the program.

wah wah no wifi come on. Kids these days.
---
Nobody expects the Sarlacc Pit