This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Better fighting game: KOF '98 or Garou: Mark of the Wolves?

#1shooterfan22Posted 10/6/2012 12:00:16 AM
Only Vote if you've played both - Results (68 votes)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
66.18% (45 votes)
KOF '98: Any version
33.82% (23 votes)
This poll is now closed.
topic
#2PsychoDrama1Posted 10/6/2012 12:11:08 AM
I voted G:MOTW, but you can't go wrong with either game.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#3Mutant1988Posted 10/6/2012 12:58:46 AM
Garou Mark of the Wolves.

But I think King of Fighters 13 is even better.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#4shooterfan22(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 2:08:09 AM
bump
#5shooterfan22(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 10:06:08 AM
Oh, KOF '98 came back.
#6TheArcadePosted 10/6/2012 10:19:33 AM
I voted Garou to because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonlSjoLRzg

No super finish sounds cooler than THAT. Plus Garou is the deepest fighter I've ever played.
---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Windcutter Flora, God-Eye Galatea
#7shooterfan22(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 12:02:26 PM
TheArcade posted...

No super finish sounds cooler than THAT. Plus Garou is the deepest fighter I've ever played.

I'm not really familiar with Mark of the Wolves. What makes it deep?
#8gabriusPosted 10/6/2012 12:03:16 PM
Mutant1988 posted...

I agree 100% with this statement.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#9TheArcadePosted 10/6/2012 1:04:02 PM(edited)
shooterfan22 posted...
TheArcade posted...

I'm not really familiar with Mark of the Wolves. What makes it deep?

I really enjoyed the prospect of Just Defense it allows you to parry and regain your health. The combos are tough but very rewarding when you learn them, the majority of the cast is well balanced and very few can utilize instant kills, Kevin being one of the few exceptions.

Moreover despite the combats high-level of complexity execution is more simplistic compared to other NeoGeo fighters. It's cool that you get to use the orange meter to upgrade your attacks but Garou allows you to choose when it activates. You can put the upgrade at the beginning of your health meter, seat it towards the middle or leave it near the end for a last ditch effort.

The orange meter has the potential to radically change the pace of the match since it changes some of your moves, thing is though after a few good hits it's gone. This fighting game kicks all kinds of ass. But you know what? As fun as the gameplay is Garou is celebrated for the characters. This is probably the most diverse fun loving cast I've ever seen. It has soul. Most characters are charismatic (Terry, Kevin, Jenet, etc.) timid (Hotaru), or supreme humble (Tizoc/Griffon) they express their personality in their moves. For instance Gato is a hardcore fighter his super move is he ***** you up and breaks your neck!! Another one is Rock the mental scars left behind by his Dad hurts his technique, whenever he uses Geeses moves it puts immense strain on his body and he gets tired.

Another one is Griffon he's got the fighting spirit of a warrior and the admiration of a popular WWE styled wrestler. He fights for his fans, he fights for the children and he is well loved. This gives him confidence whenever he pulls off the Izuna Drop or as he likes to call it, BIIIG FAAAALLL. Marco/Butt is disciplined and he doesn't let anyone diss Kyokogenryu as a result he never holds back. He strikes fierce like an isuri grizzly!

But Garou really excels at it's story never before have I've seen 8 chapters of a beautiful fighting game story arc seamlessly put together, from Fatal Fury and the legendary King of Fighters all the way to Garou. Each character has a lush backstory filled with questions, they all have different and compelling relationships. Do yourself a favor if you're looking for something deep and fun then buy it. KOF XIII is also great, never have I thought to compare it to Garou I'm sorry but they feel like two totally different games. Terry's Power Geyser isn't remotely the same as it is in Garou. KOF 13 is a flawless game in it's own right. GET BOTH!!!! There is no reason to settle for one when both of them have great things to offer.
---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Windcutter Flora, God-Eye Galatea
#10TheArcadePosted 10/6/2012 12:57:18 PM
gabrius posted...
Mutant1988 posted...

I agree 100% with this statement.

What's your favorite BGM on MOTW? Mines is Grant's stage (MVS/AES).
---