This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buy X-Com, Rent Dishonored?

#1CalistoCoonPosted 10/7/2012 12:52:41 PM
Ah the trials of gaming on a tight budget, not sure if I want to buy or rent certain games and it's time like these I miss demos.

I played the old Xcom games and was absolutely terrible at them but I had fun with them despite my lack of any leadership skills.

Dishonored looks to be one of those very atmospheric and very story driven FPS games, just like Bioshock, one of my favorite games this gen. However I have some concerns on it's length and replayability based on these factors, I know you can go a stealth route or an action route, but I don't see that as a reason alone to score multiple playthroughs.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#2mark_98Posted 10/7/2012 12:55:27 PM
$5 360 games, all of them. best way to play
---
it has been porevn taht as lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres are crorcet, yuor barin has the pwoer to rcegnoize the wrods. Eagles, Raptors, Leafs
#3CalistoCoon(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 1:56:32 PM
Go ooooon.
---
#4IWUPosted 10/7/2012 2:54:14 PM
CalistoCoon posted...
...Dishonored looks to be one of those very atmospheric and very story driven FPS games, just like Bioshock, one of my favorite games this gen. However I have some concerns on it's length and replayability based on these factors, I know you can go a stealth route or an action route, but I don't see that as a reason alone to score multiple playthroughs.

As far as length is concerned, I know there was an article recently talking about a four hour play-through but keep in mind the total playtime was closer to 7 hours in real time (as opposed to the in game timer that stops in specific situations), and it was a speed run. The guy was playing on the easiest difficulty, skipping cut scenes, and running through the main story without doing any side quests or exploration. So even when you take the 4hr time it took for the speed run keep in mind that a Skyrim speed run took like two hours.

Also there was a quote from Matt from Bethesda who says the average gamer will take 12-24 hours to play through it, he himself took 22hrs without doing any side quests, and knowing all the solutions to the puzzles ahead of time but he went the whole way without killing anyone aka ghost mode. Finally, it has been confirmed that there are multiple endings to the game so that is even more of a reason to play-through the game more than once, on top of the different play styles.
---
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
#5CalistoCoon(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 3:00:56 PM
IWU posted...
CalistoCoon posted...
...Dishonored looks to be one of those very atmospheric and very story driven FPS games, just like Bioshock, one of my favorite games this gen. However I have some concerns on it's length and replayability based on these factors, I know you can go a stealth route or an action route, but I don't see that as a reason alone to score multiple playthroughs.

As far as length is concerned, I know there was an article recently talking about a four hour play-through but keep in mind the total playtime was closer to 7 hours in real time (as opposed to the in game timer that stops in specific situations), and it was a speed run. The guy was playing on the easiest difficulty, skipping cut scenes, and running through the main story without doing any side quests or exploration. So even when you take the 4hr time it took for the speed run keep in mind that a Skyrim speed run took like two hours.

Also there was a quote from Matt from Bethesda who says the average gamer will take 12-24 hours to play through it, he himself took 22hrs without doing any side quests, and knowing all the solutions to the puzzles ahead of time but he went the whole way without killing anyone aka ghost mode. Finally, it has been confirmed that there are multiple endings to the game so that is even more of a reason to play-through the game more than once, on top of the different play styles.

and you just made it a tough choice again.
---
#6mark_98Posted 10/7/2012 3:16:19 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7CalistoCoon(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 3:17:48 PM
mark_98 posted...
i sent you a pm, what choice

I'm not going to go that route, I want to support developers who make good games.
---
#8mark_98Posted 10/7/2012 3:19:49 PM
foolish
---
it has been porevn taht as lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres are crorcet, yuor barin has the pwoer to rcegnoize the wrods. Eagles, Raptors, Leafs
#9mark_98Posted 10/7/2012 3:20:31 PM
respectable kind of, but foolish
---
#10LuckNotDoWithItPosted 10/7/2012 3:44:18 PM
Rent all of them, leave honorable!