This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torchlight 2 Query

#1SqLeonheartPosted 10/8/2012 8:17:57 AM
Hey guys (and possibly girls)
Ok so I read what Runic's Devs had to say about Torchlight 2 being too big for XBLA's "Memory Limit".
I was hoping someone could properly explain that issue more clearly, and not just by saying "The 360's RAM, not HDD Space" and whatnot.
When I researched some topics on what exactly the XBLA's "Memory Limit" is, all information I got was nothing to do with RAM, or the HDD Space on the 360.
A few years back the XBLA's Memory Limit was 50MB? And got bigger as new Arcade games increased in size?
I hope someone could fully explain what that "Memory Limit" is, because the 360 can play games like Skyrim, Witcher 2 and so forth (with lower graphics compared to the PC of course, Witcher 2 runs at Medium compared to the PC counterpart) but can't run Torchlight 2? That is where the RAM issue makes next to no sense at all.
Thanks
#2Wizzl241Posted 10/8/2012 8:35:04 AM(edited)
It's not a RAM issue though, it is HDD space, or rather the game's file size, nothing to do with the 360 being able to run The Witcher 2. I don't know what the limit it right now, but Arcade games can't go over a certain size. Maybe around 2 gigs since the biggest Arcade game I have, Crysis, is around 1.5 I think. My guess is Torchlight 2 would go over that limit.
---
I like video games.
PSN Vita/XBL: Wizzl241
#3RPG_ApostlePosted 10/8/2012 8:36:05 AM
Wizzl241 posted...
It's not a RAM issue though, it is HDD space, nothing to do with the 360 being able to run The Witcher 2. I don't know what the limit it right now, but Arcade games can't go over a certain size. Maybe around 2 gigs since the biggest Arcade game I have, Crysis, is around 1.5 I think. My guess is Torchlight 2 would go over that limit.

Correct. Even after compression they couldn't get it below 2gb.

To me, it's incredibly stupid. They (the devs) WANT it to be on XBL, but MS puts these silly ass restrictions for zero reason. Well, I'm sure they have their reasons, but their reasons are stupid.
---
GameFaqs: Where two people agreeing means it's one person with two accounts.
#4DakhanavarXPosted 10/8/2012 8:42:05 AM
Wizzl241 posted...
It's not a RAM issue though, it is HDD space, or rather the game's file size, nothing to do with the 360 being able to run The Witcher 2. I don't know what the limit it right now, but Arcade games can't go over a certain size. Maybe around 2 gigs since the biggest Arcade game I have, Crysis, is around 1.5 I think. My guess is Torchlight 2 would go over that limit.

Crysis is much larger than that, but it's an exception. It's over 4gb in size. (Maybe more like a digital-only GoD? Who knows, they don't need to explain or justify it I 'spose.)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Crysis/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410968

More recently, Double Dragon Neon went a bit over as well.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Double-Dragon-Neon/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411252
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#5naughtydog2kO3Posted 10/8/2012 8:46:39 AM
Kind of makes you wonder how is it that PSN and Steam can support how big the games are but Xbox Live a multimillion/billion dollar company can't, it makes you really think what the reason is behind it.
---
XBL: naughtydog2k03
PSN: naughtydog2k03
#6Wizzl241Posted 10/8/2012 8:51:37 AM
DakhanavarX posted...
Wizzl241 posted...

Crysis is much larger than that, but it's an exception. It's over 4gb in size. (Maybe more like a digital-only GoD? Who knows, they don't need to explain or justify it I 'spose.)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Crysis/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410968

More recently, Double Dragon Neon went a bit over as well.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Double-Dragon-Neon/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411252

You're right, Crysis is much bigger. I could have sworn it was an arcade title, complete with the orange Arcade banner on the "box art", but I was wrong, turns out it's a GOD. So Crysis is a bad example. I can't explain Double Dragon, though. Maybe they made an exception...or the limit was raised recently?
---
I like video games.
PSN Vita/XBL: Wizzl241
#7SqLeonheart(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:54:19 AM
How can that be an issue then? The XBLA size is about over what? 2-2.5GB? Can't they just split the game in 2 maybe 3 pieces, and when all 2 (or 3) parts are on the HDD, when you go into the game a program or whatever else can run, locate all the pieces and combine or read from all the pieces?
So the pieces could maybe be combined (like the PC program called HJSplitter), or a program can locate all the pieces then read from each piece on the HDD when it needs a file (think of it like a game with more than one disc, disc one complete? Insert disc 2 but it's all done virtually, on the HDD), or another way, in one download the main game can be, character skins, monsters, all the basics.
On another part all the towns, dungeons, debris, fauna, flore can be so when a zone is loades, retrieves the data needed and voila?
No more millions for Retail and it can be added on XBLA, just on another weird way.
But I don't know if it can be made that way, I know it's possible on PC, so just trying my luck :)
#8naughtydog2kO3Posted 10/8/2012 8:59:16 AM
How can that be an issue then? The XBLA size is about over what? 2-2.5GB? Can't they just split the game in 2 maybe 3 pieces, and when all 2 (or 3) parts are on the HDD, when you go into the game a program or whatever else can run, locate all the pieces and combine or read from all the pieces?
So the pieces could maybe be combined (like the PC program called HJSplitter), or a program can locate all the pieces then read from each piece on the HDD when it needs a file (think of it like a game with more than one disc, disc one complete? Insert disc 2 but it's all done virtually, on the HDD), or another way, in one download the main game can be, character skins, monsters, all the basics.
On another part all the towns, dungeons, debris, fauna, flore can be so when a zone is loades, retrieves the data needed and voila?
No more millions for Retail and it can be added on XBLA, just on another weird way.
But I don't know if it can be made that way, I know it's possible on PC, so just trying my luck :)

I think the conclusion is, Microsoft is trying to be cheap by saving money or something, I guess the bigger the game is, the more money they have to spend on the bandwith or something when people download it, I'm not really too sure how it works but it might have something to do with it, maybe someone can explain or correct me here
---
XBL: naughtydog2k03
PSN: naughtydog2k03
#9sonicteam2k1Posted 10/8/2012 9:05:35 AM
Crysis is a GoD game so it can be whatever size they want. It's stupid for MS to put these files size restrictions up. Also I don't understand why Runic can't release it as a GoD game? Is it because of the licensing fee MS charges is a lot more expensive than the XBLA license?

Runic should just put it on PS3. I don't think they have file size limits.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#10Geist des DurcheinanPosted 10/8/2012 9:07:03 AM
There's a limit to how big Arcade games can be, but there's no reason why it couldn't go straight to On Demand. That's what Crysis, Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica did.
---
"If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on man, he would kill himself"