This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rockstar paid for good GTA4 reviews

#31Arucard05Posted 10/10/2012 6:55:05 AM
Ah man, you should, it seems like a hell of a victory. How many times does someone have a crappy boss that essentially gets them fired, but then they Jerry Mcguire the whole staff, start their own thing that gets to waltz back in to their old place of employment (which is now giving them more cash and resources) sans bad boss? That's kinda cool.

Yeah, I definitely gave a fist pump for them for that whole angle. It's just....too close for comfort.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Do you want to read awesomely rad reviews and articles? No? ****.
#32DarkSymbiotePosted 10/10/2012 6:56:39 AM
I remember selling my PS2 (stupidly) to pay for GTAIV after reading IGN's review. I hate them for this very reason.
---
My Darksiders II Review:
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/988570-darksiders-ii/reviews/review-151743
#33DoukouPosted 10/10/2012 6:57:30 AM(edited)
Arucard05 posted...
Are you telling me that you believe the game deserves that high score?

I am.

Arucard is being paid by Rockstar

20 bucks a day if he says good things about GTA.
---
Don't read this sig.
#34Arucard05Posted 10/10/2012 6:59:09 AM
Arucard is paid by Rockstar

20 bucks a day if he says good things about GTA.

That post is as false as GTA IV* is good.

*Grand Theft Auto™ IV: The Complete Edition on sale now!
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#35NemerlightPosted 10/10/2012 7:06:25 AM
Foppe posted...
Nemerlight posted...
GTA 4 (360 version) got 86 reviews with average score of 98. Are you telling me all of them got paid? :O

Single player was a bit boring sure but online is so much fun that i still play it to this day. So yeah game is worth that high score IMO.
---
New Orleans Saints
#36Rome218Posted 10/10/2012 7:38:50 AM
Just for declaring I feel that GTA4 was not a good game, I have received a lot of crap from posters. One of the main thing they like to bring up is how it had so many great reviews. =)
#37battlfrnt2006Posted 10/10/2012 8:07:56 AM
Samman123 posted...
Not shocked since the game was crap

---
Gamertag: CapraDaemon
PSN: mtllica
#38TrugamerPosted 10/10/2012 8:14:39 AM
I completely stopped trusting game reviews at all after this debacle and now I rent every game from Gamefly before I ever consider a buy.
#39MUD VIPERPosted 10/10/2012 8:44:16 AM
Yeah, it's not like Jeff Gerstmann got fired because of that "little pressure"..

Nope. He got fired for being a fanboy and not doing his job. But internet drones made him into a martyr and he simply accepted that rather than admitting to the truth.

He pretty much echoed the rumors. He wanted to give games certain scores, the management back then came up through advertising and was more about giving coverage for money, and mitigating negative opinions for paying advertisers. Not that that wasn't kinda obvious from the beginning, four members of your editorial staff don't jump ship for little problems

He was ousted for saying he would rather play assassins creed than review kane & lynch, not very professional. He was then ousted for only having played K & L for a few minutes not even completing the first level when he posted his review, also not very professional.

The "rumor" part is that eidos caught wind of this and asked GS to have Jeff do a full review( you know, what he gets paid to do ) GS supposedly refused and said they stood behind Jeffs initial review even though eidos had proof that he only played the game for a few minutes, in which eidos threatened to pull support.

The review was edited: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/comparison-shows-significant-edits-to-gerstmanns-kane-and-lynch-r/

The simple fact is that IF Jeff was fired for not giving a good review he would have ample grounds for a lawsuit that could win him more money than any settlement or agreement that GS could offer him. There is a reason he never filed a suit.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
#40FoppePosted 10/10/2012 8:54:30 AM
Nemerlight posted...
Foppe posted...
Nemerlight posted...
GTA 4 (360 version) got 86 reviews with average score of 98. Are you telling me all of them got paid? :O

Single player was a bit boring sure but online is so much fun that i still play it to this day. So yeah game is worth that high score IMO.

So if a game with a boring singleplayer mode and a good online mode deserves such a high score... what score does a game with a great singleplayer and great multiplayer mode deserve?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC