This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any real arguments why PC gaming isn't better?

#291ChezDispenserPosted 10/11/2012 1:48:03 PM
GM_ posted...
ffgameman posted...
The lack of convenience/pick-up-and-play compared to consoles (and cost-effectiveness).

Consoles can last 5-6 years (at least) with no need for expensive upgrades. Also, I can easily connect with most of my gaming friends via Xbox - neither of us play PC games.

Buys game on Steam
Downloads game
Plays game

What's so hard here? The games install as they download.

Of course, that also means unless you buy and pre-load early, you'll be spending the day downloading 7GB-25GB file instead of playing day one.
---
Goddamn!
#292ConsolePeasantsPosted 10/11/2012 1:54:28 PM
ChezDispenser posted...
GM_ posted...
ffgameman posted...
The lack of convenience/pick-up-and-play compared to consoles (and cost-effectiveness).

Consoles can last 5-6 years (at least) with no need for expensive upgrades. Also, I can easily connect with most of my gaming friends via Xbox - neither of us play PC games.

Buys game on Steam
Downloads game
Plays game

Of course, that also means unless you buy and pre-load early, you'll be spending the day downloading 7GB-25GB file instead of playing day one.

I could download 25GB in less than 40 minutes, that is enough time to get a coffee and a snack and I'm ready to go. My main point is that internet speeds have improved drastically over recent years.
---
Core I77 777 Core Edition @ 77 PHz // WIndows Mac 2077 // 77 ZETABYTE DDR77 // AMDISFINISHED 77777 GPU x77 SLIFIRE // 77 YB Particle Drive //
#293Perfect LightPosted 10/11/2012 1:55:35 PM
Because you can resell console games.
---
youtube.com/sciencebytes...learn something new
My novel - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095KJ6YC
#294Darth_ElusivePosted 10/11/2012 1:59:58 PM
Console exclusives is the only reason not to go PC.
Split screen, seriously, how often you people use it.

Early in XBOX360's life cycle there were some exclusives (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2) that persuaded me to get the 360. Now I am done with JRPG and NG is also on PS3, my PC totally replaces my 360. Note: I don't play Halo, Gears and Forza at all. I also don't play Fable even though it is on Steam.

And Steam is 10 times better than LIVE and PSN, especially they have crazy sales from time to time which you would not see on consoles.
---
Look at my XBOX720 ===> i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead or Alive 5
#295SunDevil77Posted 10/11/2012 2:03:08 PM
Darth_Elusive posted...
Console exclusives is the only reason not to go PC.
Split screen, seriously, how often you people use it.

Early in XBOX360's life cycle there were some exclusives (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2) that persuaded me to get the 360. Now I am done with JRPG and NG is also on PS3, my PC totally replaces my 360. Note: I don't play Halo, Gears and Forza at all. I also don't play Fable even though it is on Steam.

And Steam is 10 times better than LIVE and PSN, especially they have crazy sales from time to time which you would not see on consoles.

The only thing Steam does better than Live is sales.
---
Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable
#296GM_Posted 10/11/2012 2:26:11 PM
ChezDispenser posted...
GM_ posted...
ffgameman posted...

Buys game on Steam
Downloads game
Plays game

I downloaded a 10 GB game in under an hour. I'm sorry you live in BFE.
---
Trolling the Mods since 2009
#297ReeGPosted 10/11/2012 2:30:40 PM
Superlinkbros89 posted...
Mainly, consoles are far superior if you just want to pick up and play a game in your living room on a couch (Try Big Picture all you want, but lugging my 800 rig across my house and then having to use a mouse and keyboard just to acess steam in my living room isn't my idea of pick up and play).

I can't believe people are still using this lame excuse in 2012. It's extremely simple and relatively cheap to build your living room/couch setup around a PC in a way where you dont' need to be lugging hardware anywhere or do anything more complicated than you would with a console.
For example
http://i.imgur.com/aX7GK.jpg

The only real argument is what you can afford period
---
I7 2700K | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws | GTX 560TI | GB-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | PS3, 360, Wii, 3DS, PSP
#298Snuckie7Posted 10/11/2012 2:59:14 PM
Unbridled9 posted...
See? You are still using sales to determine which platform is "better." By your logic, McDonald's clearly sells the highest quality food in the world.

Wow. I can't grasp how it is possible to miss the point so badly without being an intentional troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this once and assume it's possible via some unknown jungle disease you contracted from a coffee stirrer at Starbucks.

Also, FYI, by the logic you seem to think I'm using, the PC would be the best with Chess beating them all.

Except yes. . .it does matter. Besides artistic direction, framerate and resolution are also very important parts of how a game looks and plays, especially with the majority of recent games going for a somewhat 'realistic' feel.

Artistic direction doesn't matter in terms of graphics. That's an aesthetic thing. Better graphics only allows more options, but doesn't offer improvements. Framerate doesn't matter too much unless you're going for a hyper-realistic feel or have a lot of things happening on-screen, and resolution doesn't matter too much unless you either have to see EVERY granual of dirt in the newest CoD game or are playing some hyper-detailed game.

If we're talking about f2p, why would you discount microtransactions? You don't have to pay for them. They are nice things that are there that allow the developers to you know, make money?? The whole point of releasing games? Did you really think that devs would release a game, and design it in a way where they couldn't make money off their hard work? Off that note, there are many excellent f2p games out there (that don't require you to spend a cent) including the massive Planetside 2 which is launching early next year.

Because said games are often 'pay to win' with people who don't pay for the micro-transactions only being able to progress so far before being destroyed. Therefore they are not truly 'free'. Imagine if Mario claimed it was 'free' but in order to gain any lives past your initial you'd have to pay money. Technically it's 'free' and can be beaten all in one life, but would also be way too hard for people who didn't cough up the extra money.

Also, if the game-makers are in it for the money, then why would they release a high-quality game that's worth playing and not set it up so they get money from it? Browser-based games are the only way to manage such a thing and those get money off of ads.

But as you said before, different games play better with different controls, so why wouldn't you want it all?

And you can't really use KB/M on console so yea. . .

How do you define 'really'?

Holy s*** your posts are so bad. You seriously can not put together a single coherent argument anymore. Please, just read through all my posts again, and at least try to understand what I'm saying.
#299naughtydog2kO3Posted 10/11/2012 3:20:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#300naughtydog2kO3Posted 10/11/2012 3:24:30 PM
I can't believe people are still using this lame excuse in 2012. It's extremely simple and relatively cheap to build your living room/couch setup around a PC in a way where you dont' need to be lugging hardware anywhere or do anything more complicated than you would with a console.
For example
http://i.imgur.com/aX7GK.jpg

What a messy ass living room...if you didn't have that PC there with those wires on the floor, it would look nice but..LOL...
---
XBL: naughtydog2k03
PSN: naughtydog2k03