This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any real arguments why PC gaming isn't better?

#351DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/11/2012 9:58:14 PM
Why is this topic even here?
---
Also, lolz@SATA drives. You see, they make these things called "heat," which kills consoles.
-darkjedilink
#352TheTitan99Posted 10/11/2012 9:58:19 PM
cuz it sucks

/thread
---
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
#353DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/11/2012 10:06:33 PM
ArthasReborn posted...
TheGreenRobin posted...
PC gets the best of both worlds but half the games are console ports and you need to set up an account for basically every one of them. PC gaming is the least fun IMO.

You need to set up an account for every game? You mean just one Steam account? Which takes about the same hassle to set up as a PSN or XBL account, and it's free.

Eh, I'll give him a little bit more leeway than that. Worst-case-scenario, you'll set up a Uplay account, a GFWL account, and, while not mandatory to play, there's also Gamespy and perhaps a couple more. It's really easy to see which games need what, though, considering it's right there in the requirements.

Most things are, indeed, shifting to Steamworks, which makes things really convenient.

No, there are some publisher pushing their own community features into some games as well, and you need an account with that publisher. Rockstar did that, I think?
---
Also, lolz@SATA drives. You see, they make these things called "heat," which kills consoles.
-darkjedilink
#354CapwnDPosted 10/11/2012 10:19:18 PM
ArthasReborn posted...
TheGreenRobin posted...
PC gets the best of both worlds but half the games are console ports and you need to set up an account for basically every one of them. PC gaming is the least fun IMO.

You need to set up an account for every game? You mean just one Steam account? Which takes about the same hassle to set up as a PSN or XBL account, and it's free.

Eh, I'll give him a little bit more leeway than that. Worst-case-scenario, you'll set up a Uplay account, a GFWL account, and, while not mandatory to play, there's also Gamespy and perhaps a couple more. It's really easy to see which games need what, though, considering it's right there in the requirements.

Most things are, indeed, shifting to Steamworks, which makes things really convenient.

No, there are some publisher pushing their own community features into some games as well, and you need an account with that publisher. Rockstar did that, I think?

Max Payne 3. One account, I can't share it with my family because f*** me.

If I start a new campaign I lose all current progress. I dont' pirate s*** on PC and look who gets f*****. The person who pays full price for games on release day.
---
Thrash Zone
#355TheGreenRobinPosted 10/11/2012 10:27:42 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
TheGreenRobin posted...

I had to set up an account for Anno 2070. I had to set up a Battlenet for Warcraft, an EA account for whatever EA game. Every MMO requires an email verification. I wasn't even considering Steam. I was considering everything else. An account for GFWL too if you plan to buy games and GFWL is a whole bag of problems in it's own. Basically everything you run that has some semblance of multiplayer requires an email verification for some ungodly reason and I find it absolutely ridiculous, because then every time you load you have to sync it up with your account. Not manually but when you go online there's always crap like "Verifying account, downloading data" and crap like that. All it does is take you away from the gameplay.
---
GT: The Green Robin
Trying to get better at fighting games but dam they need dedication!
#356CapwnDPosted 10/11/2012 10:31:12 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
TheGreenRobin posted...

I had to set up an account for Anno 2070. I had to set up a Battlenet for Warcraft, an EA account for whatever EA game. Every MMO requires an email verification. I wasn't even considering Steam. I was considering everything else. An account for GFWL too if you plan to buy games and GFWL is a whole bag of problems in it's own. Basically everything you run that has some semblance of multiplayer requires an email verification for some ungodly reason and I find it absolutely ridiculous, because then every time you load you have to sync it up with your account. Not manually but when you go online there's always crap like "Verifying account, downloading data" and crap like that. All it does is take you away from the gameplay.

Another issue with GFWL is the log in can be weird sometimes, I think it's something about a changed password, and the way GFWL saves your password. You have to somehow trick it into not logging in right away so you can untoggle the option to save password, so it prompts you.

That may not be an exact recount of it, but it's something goofy like that, and caused me problems.
---
Thrash Zone
#357Logical_OnePosted 10/11/2012 10:35:05 PM
I will always be a PC gamer first and foremost.

Mods (not hacks but MODS) and sales will forever make the PC a better option. Also, paying so much for games on consoles makes me feel like I should rush and sell them to make SOME money back, however, on PC, games are so fairly priced (and you have no choice but to keep them) that I end up playing more games and enjoying them more in the process.

Example of game prices:

I pre-ordered BOTH Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution for $73.75 CAN (tax in).

If I bought EITHER ONE for console (via pre-order) there is a much higher change that I would pay that for the single game.

don't get me wrong--I love console gaming--well, mainly NHL '13 but gaming in my comfortable computer chair (closer to the action and at a higher resolution with maxed out graphics and decent headphones [that don't cost $200]) is where it's at. I can't focus sitting on my couch for some reason--I even have a little chair I pull up when I play NHL.

But then again, I have been PC gaming since the early 90's. Some people will never get comfortable with a KB/M setup; although I could do it, I LOATHE playing FPS or TPS games with a controller.

Just my .02 cents.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#358Snuckie7Posted 10/11/2012 10:48:27 PM
TheGreenRobin posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
TheGreenRobin posted...

I see how this can become tedious, but really it's only a short, one time thing for each game. After that you can just forget about it.
#359LuckNotDoWithItPosted 10/11/2012 10:49:04 PM
Speaking of new experiences and whether MMO's will deliver in the future....
http://news.mmosite.com/content/c/2012-05-23/want_a_little_sex_in_your_mmo_2.shtml

Well, that essentially rules out PC's having any drought in original software for a great many years. Que Mas.
#360Unbridled9Posted 10/11/2012 11:15:35 PM

You need to start playing games at higher settings and start using some mods.

Why? It's the same game. Putting it to a higher setting doesn't suddenly make a bad game good or something. Gameplay, story, aethetics, and the like matter much more than polygon counts.

Heck, one of my favorite games on the PC is Recettear, which looks amazing... And looks like it could have been easily handled on the Gamecube as well. WoW? Same deal. Only reason I'd need a computer is for the sheer amount of data, not the graphics. Civ V is awesome, but its fun is in the gameplay, not the graphics. Cthulu saves the world? 16 bit. Minecraft? Tries to look 16 bit. Total War: Shogun 2? Awesome game, but the graphics have almost nothing to do with that.

Of the games I own for my PC that I can also play on my consoles only Skyrim seems to be actually improved by the graphics, and even then that's more because of aethetic appeal towards jawdropping visuals instead of an actual need.

Mods are cool as well, don't get me wrong, but... they're really more of an afterthought than an actual point. Anyone who is going to use mods as the deciding factor on any game is likely to obsessed with them to be a reliable source of judgement on them.
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.