This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any real arguments why PC gaming isn't better?

#41Hi CPosted 10/10/2012 1:11:26 PM
Doukou posted...
Split-Screen

Consolers actually cite this as it's a pro with a straight face?

It originated out of limitation of console technology and PC never had a use for it because we've had LAN and net play for over a decade before XBL and PSN.

Can't think of a single sane mind that would want to play with 2-4 scrunched up bad resolution tiny windows on 1 screen when they could could have their very own full size image. I remember playing Goldeneye on split screen and it was f***ing atrocious.

I can think of more reasons to put tank controls in a game than split screen.
---
You'll be my John G.
#42Rickoon5Posted 10/10/2012 1:19:26 PM
secondhand1 posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Preference.

This is the only argument you need.

Yep
---
"I'll do whatever it takes."
#43Rome218Posted 10/10/2012 1:20:56 PM
SS_MetalSonic posted...
I buy all the availiable consoles each gen. and i usually buy a new computer between each console generation. There are many more console games that interest me than PC games. im not into MMO's , not into top down RPGs, and not into RTS. Which leaves me with very , very little .

The last three or four game I played on PC were : FEAR , Prey , Crysis and Crysis : Warhead.
Its been nothing since then. I was interested in Spore but never bought it. Trine interested me but I bought it on PSN.

at the end of this console generation ; I believe PC gaming will surge forward and I surely will find a couple of games that interest me. I will play them and then the new consoles will get hot and I will forget about my PC for a while ,once again.

That's how I feel. I stopped PC gaming shortly before you did, when Crysis 1 came out. At the time I was really into FEAR on PC, one of my favorite games at the time.

Then my 2k computer began having trouble a year later running games like Crysis on max settings. I got frustrated when PC problems would happen, I remember giving a shop owner 100 dollars to put my PC as top priority so I can go back to gaming IMMEDIATELY. =)

Since then I decided to use lap tops paired with console. The graphics on PC were far superior than anything on xbox1 or PS2, but I still kept consoles for Madden and other games like Champions of Norrath.

This gen I am very content with the 360. Best controller IMO, especially for a shooter junkie like me. PC probably has awe inspiring graphics but.. eh, I'm okay. I know that with PCs, your system may be top dog one day.. and it only takes that next big game to make you have to run it on medium settings, while new cards flood the market.
#44phillyeagles123Posted 10/10/2012 1:24:41 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Preference.

Just this. It's all based on preference.
#45SqLeonheartPosted 10/10/2012 1:28:33 PM
Interested in MMO's? Buy a PC.
Interested in any other game? Buy a Console.
#46agamejaxPosted 10/10/2012 1:56:53 PM
I'm mainly a PC gamer but have an Xbox and had a ps3.

There are some advantages to playing consoles but they are all what I'd call meta advantages i.e. how the consoles are used rather than ways in which the console itself is better. If the PC was given more love then there really wouldn't be any disadvantages other than potentially cost.

1. Exclusives Main thing for consoles is almost certainly the exclusives, especially some of the AAA titles but bear in mind that you have an absolutely HUGE selection of more indie games on PC as well as your exclusive MMO's and RTS's etc. that simply couldn't be played on console. Tied into this is how a lot of AAA titles get released late on PC.
2. Multiplayer. If most of your friends play COD or whatever on Xbox then it's a huge thing to be able to play with them. Consoles have split screen quite often and while this is basically a lesser version of LAN play the unfortunate truth is that most PC games don't support LAN nowdays anyway. Of course if you have PC gaming friends or make ones online then this isn't an issue
3. Start up cost is higher but you're going to want a PC/Laptop anyway and being able to upgrade rather than buying new systems is always brilliant.
4. Poor porting of games. Not as huge an issue to me as a lot of people say but it's there for sure. UI's with consoles in mind is the most prevalent problem and then you have mouse sensitivity. Acceleration issues, resolution etc. A lot of the time these can be fixed through modding or file tweaking but not always and that brings me to no. 5.
5. Ease. Consoles are obviously much more pick up and play. This does limit what the console can do but is certainly quicker.

Basically for me unless it's an exclusive or COD which I only play with people in the front room / friends online the PC is always the way to go. It may be a little more work but it's more than worth it.
#47CapwnDPosted 10/10/2012 2:08:57 PM(edited)
Sure I will be paying about 500 dollars for a good pc

My graphics card was almost that much. just sayen. If you're talking about 10x better graphics, you're not going to spend only $500.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#48SunDevil77Posted 10/10/2012 2:14:22 PM
Quote:Doukou posted...
Split-Screen

Consolers actually cite this as it's a pro with a straight face?

It originated out of limitation of console technology and PC never had a use for it because we've had LAN and net play for over a decade before XBL and PSN.

Can't think of a single sane mind that would want to play with 2-4 scrunched up bad resolution tiny windows on 1 screen when they could could have their very own full size image. I remember playing Goldeneye on split screen and it was f***ing atrocious.

I can think of more reasons to put tank controls in a game than split screen.

@Hi C
You don't have very many friends in real life do you?
---
Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable.
#49gorypaldin2Posted 10/10/2012 2:24:31 PM
I like having a physical product. All the crazy deals on PC games are digital downloads through everyone's favorite drm steam.

I would rather play a console using the dvds/blu-rays and not bother with a comparative lack of places to get boxed PC games.

Also console is cheaper (hardware wise) and no one i know even has a gaming quality pc (though I do own one)
---
The mods know where they can go
#50astralphoenix37Posted 10/10/2012 2:33:54 PM
Oh boy, this argument has gone on forever. For my two-pence, here are some objective pros and cons of both. For the record, I have both a reasonable gaming PC and a PS3. I have to admit the PC is my primary gaming platform though.

PC

+ More powerful hardware (especially with the main consoles now 6-7 years old)
+ More versatile platform for games development; no restrictive authentication process required from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft to release games
+ Better control options (can use mouse/keyboard, USB controllers, joysticks etc.)
+ Mods and editing; fewer DRM restrictions generally (hello my Skyrim with 150 mods)
- Expensive hardware
- Requires upgrades (but not as often as you might think; my PC is over 4 years old and still plays new releases rather well)
- Bulky; doesn't like going anywhere fast

Consoles

+ Play from your sofa; definitely better for casual gaming or gaming with friends (Internet excepted)
+ Portability; take it to your mate's house
+ Nice big 1080p TV screen (assuming you have one)
+ Certain genres just play better on console (platforming, racing)
+ Relatively low price
+ Certain high-quality console-specific titles (but less so nowadays with lots of cross-platform development)
- Will always be weaker in technical capability to equivalent PC of the era
- Generally not as good a selection of games across the board
- Cross-platform games that are available on PC are currently being hamstrung in terms of design options and graphical fidelity by the lack of power of the current generation of consoles (though this can largely be mitigated by new consoles, hopefully soon)
- The PC versions of cross-platform developed games are almost always better (unless the port is really bad, like the original PC version of Dark Souls)
- Lacks versatility of a PC in regards to other uses
---
AstralPhoenix