The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOWTO: Block Ad's on Dashboard.

#1zerodefectPosted 10/10/2012 12:42:36 PM(edited)
This is not a guide how to configure your router. You will need to figure that out yourself, this is mainly to demonstrate the concept and you can apply it to whatever router you have or whatever software you choose to use.

It seems that every other thread that comes up has someone complaining about the advertisement's on the Xbox dashboard. Some suggestions that are passed around are to just use the quick launch to not have to look at them, or the too bad, they have no choice so deal with it. I read topics about how the price of Live should include the removal of advertisements or that it's unfair they have to deal with it even after paying for a subscription fee.

Personally, I don't like them. I don't like them on TV. I don't like them on websites and I don't like them on my Xbox. DVR takes care of commercials, Adblock takes care of them on the internet and a simple filter works perfectly to remove them on my Xbox. I've been using this for the last few years and it's still working to this day so I thought I might share it with the few out here that do not know how.

If you block https://rad.msn.com, you will not have to look at advertisements again on the Xbox, as well as most Microsoft websites. There are many ways to block this website and the most simple way is to filter it with your router. Most routers have the option to block websites, and that's really all there is too it. Block the website above and ad's are gone for good. You can also use OpenDNS or similar service to block it, but it requires additional setup and configuration which I'm not going to get into. Google can provide more answers.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone and can put a rest to some of the complaints.
#2Gurn BlanstonPosted 10/10/2012 2:01:21 PM
Didn't work for me :(
---
If I don't seem to pay you any mind, it's because you're on my ignore list.
#3crynryanPosted 10/10/2012 3:55:55 PM
This is good and all, but instead if boxes with pictures on them, you'll get blank boxes.

Makes it worse than when the ads were there.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#4jakethenoobPosted 10/10/2012 3:58:35 PM
I just get a 403 error when I try to go there
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#5crynryanPosted 10/10/2012 4:00:10 PM
Quote:I just get a 403 error when I try to go there
@jakethenoob

You won't be able to go there with a normal browser. That's just the server all the ads are loaded from.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#6zerodefect(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 7:21:15 PM
I don't get blank boxes at all. They're completely gone, even the tiling of the boxes is different than usual.
#7silenthill4vidPosted 10/10/2012 7:48:40 PM
kewl, not worth it tho, paying for gold shouls get rid of them.
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#8Ginsu VictimPosted 10/10/2012 8:02:10 PM
silenthill4vid posted...

Like paying for cable gets rid of ads?
Like buying a movie ticket gets rid of ads?
Like buying a magazine gets rid of ads?
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#9HykCraftPosted 10/10/2012 8:06:38 PM
The point of paying for LIVE.. years ago... was to not see ads. That was one thing that MS pushed.

Obviously since the the service has grown exponentially over the years, it becomes a lot more expensive to run the service.. hence why we all see ads regardless.

Keep in mind.. it's a business. Just ignore the ads.
#10beastwarkingPosted 10/10/2012 8:55:08 PM
Ginsu Victim posted...
silenthill4vid posted...

Like paying for cable gets rid of ads?
Like buying a movie ticket gets rid of ads?
Like buying a magazine gets rid of ads?

Cable ads - Paying for cable pays for the direct connection that is being provided by the company and I'm sure goes towards paying groups like Viacom to stay with that provider . Televised ads pay for the programming.

Movie ticket ads - Come in late, don't see ads but you might not get the desired seats. Also, theaters tend to have a low profit margin on ticket sales, especially during the debut weeks when more people are likely to see a major release. Instead, theaters recoup money through things people aren't required to pay for when they get in - snacks, drinks, etc.

Magazine prices, and this one I'm guessing on, are probably priced fairly close to cost to print - especially the ones that are fully glossed and in color. Subscriptions tend to give a discount. So again, I would bet that advertising is what directly funds the content put into the magazine.

Point is, LIVE and other models probably aren't as comparable as you are making them out to be.
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong