This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could selling your old video games soon become Illegal?

#11knightimexPosted 10/10/2012 10:44:11 PM
Winternova, I really do appreciate you being a lawyer. :)
---
i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 12gb 1,333 mhz ram, 1.5tb HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096Mb, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, 850 psu
#12Vivi0198Posted 10/10/2012 10:47:29 PM
Winternova posted...
LuckNotDoWithIt posted...
They will never make selling games illegal, don't worry about that. Also the Supreme's Citizens United decision is being challenged in court with several appeals that will quash it.

You can't have a lower court supersede the Supreme Court. You can't appeal a Supreme Court ruling. If you try to challenge the law in court, the court will simply say "Res Judicata" and dismiss your case. :-)

I have no idea what that means but Tales of Vesperia is a good game damn it.
---
If you believe in Vivi0198 and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.
#13WinternovaPosted 10/10/2012 10:49:07 PM
knightimex posted...
Winternova, I really do appreciate you being a lawyer. :)

Thanks. This particular urban legend has been the bane of my existence online for the past few days. Sorry if I'm getting cross, but I'm tired of it popping up again and again after quashing it...it's like legal fear-mongering whack-a-mole.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#14WinternovaPosted 10/10/2012 10:51:33 PM
Vivi0198 posted...
Winternova posted...
LuckNotDoWithIt posted...
They will never make selling games illegal, don't worry about that. Also the Supreme's Citizens United decision is being challenged in court with several appeals that will quash it.

You can't have a lower court supersede the Supreme Court. You can't appeal a Supreme Court ruling. If you try to challenge the law in court, the court will simply say "Res Judicata" and dismiss your case. :-)

I have no idea what that means but Tales of Vesperia is a good game damn it.

Res Judicata = Latin for "A thing adjudged." This current court has already ruled on the case, so unless something new is introduced there won't be any further suits on the case. It can be superseded by statutory law, however.
---
#15caffiend7Posted 10/10/2012 10:52:28 PM
That's stupid and it won't happen and if did hoarding would become a major problem since you can't sell your stuff unless you threw them away which would be a waste.
---
"I will teach you the way true kings fight"
#16chrcolPosted 10/11/2012 7:37:44 AM
the court I hope does the right thing, also I think the supreme court can only rule over america not other countries.

if they dont want people importing cheaper goods they can do 3 things.

1 - decrease price of goods in western countries.
2 - increase price of goods in eastern countries
3 - enforce contract on eastern country retailers only allowing them to sell to people in their own country. This would only have limited impact tho.
#17WinternovaPosted 10/11/2012 10:12:18 AM
chrcol posted...
the court I hope does the right thing, also I think the supreme court can only rule over america not other countries.

3 - enforce contract on eastern country retailers only allowing them to sell to people in their own country. This would only have limited impact tho.

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't bother posting.
---
#18MrZetsubouPosted 10/11/2012 10:22:57 AM
and no f*** was given today
---
My favorite doujin games, part 9: Recettear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anu2NuDntbw
#19ChrisHanson24Posted 10/11/2012 10:28:20 AM
all you ppl fail to see that if we weren't in a great depression then people wouldn't need to sell their used things
#20memphis12Posted 10/11/2012 10:30:27 AM
Quote:chrcol posted...

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't bother posting.

@Winternova

*Enters topic, reads this.*

"Thats me f****d then"

*Packs bags & walks out of topic.*
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'