This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you get the 360 to play videos of a USB stick?

#1VmodePosted 10/27/2012 8:51:46 AM
My PS3 gave me a bit of trouble, so taking the path of least resistance, I decided to try it on my Xbox.

Only it didn't work there either..

Any special rules to getting video files to play on the Xbox from a USB stick?
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#2TheMuffinPosted 10/27/2012 8:54:04 AM
What file type is it?
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#3Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2012 8:54:54 AM
Just regular .avi
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#4TheBlueStigPosted 10/27/2012 8:55:17 AM
You need the media update, it should give you the option to download it once you try to play a video file.

Only AVI, MP4, and WMV files show up once you download that update.

Then just hit the Guide button, go to Video player, then portable device, then to your videos.
#5Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2012 9:03:54 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
You need the media update, it should give you the option to download it once you try to play a video file.

Only AVI, MP4, and WMV files show up once you download that update.

Then just hit the Guide button, go to Video player, then portable device, then to your videos.

That's the thing "portable device" is grayed out for some reason.
---
#6Ginsu VictimPosted 10/27/2012 9:04:54 AM
Your USB drive probably isn't supported, then.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#7Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2012 9:09:50 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
Your USB drive probably isn't supported, then.

It's suppose to be supported last time I checked. Did they change something in the 6 months or so?
---
#8TheBlueStigPosted 10/27/2012 9:10:48 AM
Clear the USB stick, then put it in the 360 and allow the 360 to format it, then put it back in the PC and format it there, and make sure you use FAT32 to format it with and not NTFS.

Then put your video back on the stick and try it again.
#9IvanKozlovPosted 10/27/2012 9:15:42 AM
How are you having trouble with your Ps3? Just go to video, press triangle on your flash drive and click display all, then play your video,
---
I'll not stop moving forward. I'll not regret a single step I had taken. That's why...I order you...Do not betray me! And do not leave my side! No matter what.
#10Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2012 10:11:31 AM
IvanKozlov posted...
How are you having trouble with your Ps3? Just go to video, press triangle on your flash drive and click display all, then play your video,

The problem was that the USB didn't even show up under the video section on the XMB. Though it ended up being the formatting issue.
---