This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to send a message to someone you've recently played?

#1JockoPosted 11/4/2012 4:53:49 PM
I think I used to be able to send messages to people I've played online but now the option is grayed out for me. Do you have to be someones friend now to send them a message? Has this always been the case or am I not remembering right?

I hit the Guide button, I select either "Friends" or "Messages", navigate to the right to the "Players" tab and from there I can see all the people I've played recently. When I select ANY player from the list these are the options that I have:

"Send Friend Request" (This option is selectable)
"Invite to Game" (This option is grayed out)
"Invite to Party" (This option is grayed out)
"Invite to Private Chat" (This option is grayed out)
"Send Message" (This option is grayed out)
"Compare Games" (This option is selectable)
"Submit Player Review" (This option is selectable)
"File Complaint" (This option is selectable)
"Mute" (This option is selectable)

When I go under my friends list I have all of those options available. I've checked every setting I can see under my "Settings" blade and couldn't find any option that would be stopping me from sending a message to someone that's not on my friends list. I don't have any "Family" settings enabled.

I even went under the "Messages" tab, selected "Create New", selected "Message" and the option for "Enter Gamertag" is faded out but all of the people from my friends list are selectable.

Any ideas?
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#2SoincMetalPosted 11/4/2012 5:06:44 PM
Your not their friend. It's to prevent spamming between people who don't "know" each other.
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#3reptileeggPosted 11/4/2012 5:10:00 PM
SoincMetal posted...
Your not their friend. It's to prevent spamming between people who don't "know" each other.

I just sent a message to someone I played a match with even though I was not their friend.........
#4Slinky826Posted 11/4/2012 5:11:48 PM
If you have the gamertag, try sending it online from xbox.com.
---
God did not create Man in his image, for it was Man who created God in his.
#5Deathx113Posted 11/4/2012 5:12:58 PM
They probably have friend messages enabled, so only friends can send them messages.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#6TheBlueStigPosted 11/4/2012 5:31:23 PM
Go to Messages, then Enter Gamertag, then add text, then send.
#7Jocko(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 5:34:18 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Go to Messages, then Enter Gamertag, then add text, then send.

"I even went under the "Messages" tab, selected "Create New", selected "Message" and the option for "Enter Gamertag" is faded out but all of the people from my friends list are selectable"
---
#8Jocko(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 5:52:21 PM
Slinky826 posted...
If you have the gamertag, try sending it online from xbox.com.

I signed into xbox.com. I selected "Messages" and when I select the "To:" field to select my recipients it only brings up my friends list and does not give me the option to manually type in a gamertag.

Deathx113 posted...
They probably have friend messages enabled, so only friends can send them messages.

I just went through all 50 recently players on the list and they all have the "Send Message" option grayed out. It would seem like a very big coincedence that all 50 of them had such an option enabled. I'm thinking this is an issue with my settings somewhere instead.
---
#9TheBlueStigPosted 11/4/2012 5:55:39 PM
Jocko posted...
I'm thinking this is an issue with my settings somewhere instead.

That or your ability to send messages has been disabled by M$.
#10KID VIDPosted 11/4/2012 5:55:44 PM
It's a conspiracy! Your house is bugged! Get out while you still ca... *gets shot*
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: KIDD VIDD