This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition?

#1drewpot2001Posted 11/6/2012 5:26:14 PM
Does anyone have one?
I'm looking to get one, but my computer is about 75 feet from my 360, and there's no way that's changing. So what I'm wondering is, does it need to be hooked up to a PC in order to record?

Since it's technically a PVR, you'd think it can record directly to it's own HD or internal/external memory. But I can't seem to find any info on this matter so to be safe I need to find out before I purchase one.

Is there anything I should know about it? PROs and CONs?

Is there anything else that's a better deal in that price range? ($150)
#2oasisbeyondPosted 11/6/2012 5:55:43 PM
Needs to be connected to pc with a usb... Unless you can buy a really long one at Ebay.

Cons... Software sucks, you don't get a lot of options
Pro... It records so good, you will want to wet yourself.

Keep in mind, that your pc needs to be at least from 2006 to be able to cut and edit footage. The files are small in the end cause of the decoders, but it's hard to edit, especially when you add effects. If you plan just to upload it on youtube, then there's no problem.
#3stormywatersPosted 11/6/2012 6:06:03 PM
I have it running here... records great but you need to make sure you comp can handle hd video editing.

Here is a recording I made of AC: Revelations with it, no spoilers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz9v9Qyy8g0&feature=plcp
---
Nice up and coming podcast: www.UndergroundGeekNetwork.com
#4drewpot2001(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 1:50:12 PM
Ok, so this brings to mind an idea.
The software that comes with it can be as crappy as it wants, all I want this for is the footage. For editing, my desktop computer is very powerful and has Adobe After FX and Sony Vegas, so I'm good there.

BUT, I do have a laptop, but it's only got about 3gigs of ram and isn't the greatest. Do you think I could just use the laptop with the box to capture the footage, then easily do the editing on my PC? Or does the computer hooked up to the box have to be quite powerful also? What's the purpose of it being hooked to the box to record? Does the PVR box do all of the work and then just output the files to the computer attached?

If so, then the computer receiving the saved files could be crappy as hell as long as it still functioned.
#5mhunterchumpPosted 11/7/2012 5:16:41 PM
drewpot2001 posted...
The software that comes with it can be as crappy as it wants, all I want this for is the footage. For editing, my desktop computer is very powerful and has Adobe After FX and Sony Vegas, so I'm good there.

BUT, I do have a laptop, but it's only got about 3gigs of ram and isn't the greatest. Do you think I could just use the laptop with the box to capture the footage, then easily do the editing on my PC? Or does the computer hooked up to the box have to be quite powerful also? What's the purpose of it being hooked to the box to record? Does the PVR box do all of the work and then just output the files to the computer attached?

If so, then the computer receiving the saved files could be crappy as hell as long as it still functioned.

This one is not as good but you don't need a PC at all and you can record component HD to a usb thumb drive:

http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-C281-Game-Capture-Record/dp/B005YR0M0W/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

The reviews range from lots of 4-5 stars to 1 stars. A lot of the 1 star reviews are from people complaining it didn't come with a hard drive. I have been seriously considering it since I don't need my footage super perfect but love recording.

It's a lot cheaper and no PC needed. Thought it might be a decent suggestion for you.
---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#6drewpot2001(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:32:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I ended up doing A LOT of research on it, and I really don't want to risk it unfortunately.

Well, for one, I don't want to give up HDMI and go back to 720p after playing 1080p forever. And also there are a few common complains, so they must hold some truth.

- Sound and video sometimes going out of sync, as if watching a Youtube video years ago. lol
- Sometimes the picture coming out of the box and going back to the TV is delayed or distorted to a much lower quality than true 720p HD.

Is this the only PVR/Recording box that doesn't require a computer? :/
#7oasisbeyondPosted 11/10/2012 5:11:56 PM
Get the Hauppauge you won't regret it. If your laptop is from 2006+ Then you should be fine. My pc isn't super powerful but it works flawlessly. You don't need to get the gaming Edition the old one is the same and probably cheaper. 720p and 1080p = no dif and most games run lower then 720. You can use that just for when you want to record.
#8crynryanPosted 11/10/2012 7:14:14 PM
drewpot2001 posted...

This one is not as good but you don't need a PC at all and you can record component HD to a usb thumb drive:

http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-C281-Game-Capture-Record/dp/B005YR0M0W/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

The reviews range from lots of 4-5 stars to 1 stars. A lot of the 1 star reviews are from people complaining it didn't come with a hard drive. I have been seriously considering it since I don't need my footage super perfect but love recording.

It's a lot cheaper and no PC needed. Thought it might be a decent suggestion for you.

This here is a video I made of me getting Seriously 3 using this thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TH70bZ6_-Q&list=UUaF2Se7t1E9J5_v-JoldYpA&index=1&feature=plcp

The only downside is it has to be component, but other than that everything is great about it. Keep in mind though the hard drive has to be a 2.5" one, which are what laptops use.
---
This feels warm. What is this feeling? Is it of warmth?
#9That1GuyyPosted 11/10/2012 7:31:41 PM
Does anyone know if the Hauppauge will work if you connect an external hard drive bay to it rather than a PC?
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#10NeoGeoXSegaPosted 11/10/2012 10:18:10 PM
What cable does the hauppauge connect to a PC with?

Usb cable, hdmi cable or ethernet cable?
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX