This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy any software utilizing UE3

#41Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 11/9/2012 10:33:03 AM
Ninjuggalotus posted...
Silicon Knights shall cease producing or distributing Too Human, The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, X-Men: Destiny, and Siren in the Maelstrom, and shall recall and destroy (at the expense of Silicon Knights) all unsold copies...

And this, my friends, is PRECISELY WHY I AM AGAINST A PURELY DD-ONLY CONSOLE!
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
#42Hi CPosted 11/9/2012 10:33:53 AM
Stravacca posted...
lol Denis Dyack.

Hi C posted...

It affected a LOT of games in the mid 00's and put some developers out of business. Corrupt courts sided with Epic (Microsoft) for some reason.

Square-Enix
Eidos / Ion Storm

Had games effected.

Tell me when happened that those two companies sued Epic.
Not to mention Square-Enix is going to use UE4 too in the future.

I don't think those particular 2 did those were just developers whose games were effected.

Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief: Deadly Shadows were made with a prototype Unreal Engine. Both had bad issues with frame rates, optimization, crashing, save corruption etc.

Squares The Last Remnant had issues on 360 and was made with an early UE3 version. They said it was a mistake using it.

I think I mis-listed Troika as Vampire was made with Source.

I remember reading the stories about this years ago when the suit first started. Practically every first generation UE3 game had major issues...accept Gears of War. Developers were finding it essentially impossible to mod and apply it for anything beyond shooters without completely breaking it.
---
You'll be my John G.
#43cup_a_soupPosted 11/9/2012 10:39:41 AM
Stravacca posted...
lol Denis Dyack.

Hi C posted...

It affected a LOT of games in the mid 00's and put some developers out of business. Corrupt courts sided with Epic (Microsoft) for some reason.

Square-Enix
Eidos / Ion Storm

Had games effected.

Tell me when happened that those two companies sued Epic.
Not to mention Square-Enix is going to use UE4 too in the future.

I don't think those particular 2 did those were just developers whose games were effected.

Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief: Deadly Shadows were made with a prototype Unreal Engine. Both had bad issues with frame rates, optimization, crashing, save corruption etc.

Squares The Last Remnant had issues on 360 and was made with an early UE3 version. They said it was a mistake using it.

I think I mis-listed Troika as Vampire was made with Source.

I remember reading the stories about this years ago when the suit first started. Practically every first generation UE3 game had major issues...accept Gears of War. Developers were finding it essentially impossible to mod and apply it for anything beyond shooters without completely breaking it.

I was trying to remember what game SquareEnix used the UE for, then remember The Last Remnant...

Yeah, Epic were quite ass hats with that.
#44chris_Posted 11/9/2012 11:09:29 AM
RPG_Apostle posted...
So....

Could this be the nail in the coffin for Silicon Knights?

Pretty much, too bad because i really wanted a sequel to ED
#45TheBlueStigPosted 11/9/2012 11:49:09 AM
Ninjuggalotus posted...
and shall recall and destroy (at the expense of Silicon Knights) all unsold copies...

The value on all used copies and sealed unsold new copies is about to go through the roof.

The same kind of thing is what made the most expensive NES game happen.
#46RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 12:00:26 PM
Wasn't Lost Odyssey made with the Unreal Engine?

And yes, Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines was made with Source. It was finished before Half Life 2 was, and Valve wouldn't let Troika release the game until Half Life 2 was out. IIRC, they were released the same day.
---
Dragon Age 2 is the greatest game I've ever played.-Arucard05
#47Dragon NexusPosted 11/9/2012 12:04:25 PM
Time to buy a copy of these games, guys.
With this history behind them they'll suddenly become collectable.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#48Robin_MaskPosted 11/9/2012 12:18:36 PM
Lapanui posted...
Never heard of them up until now. It's sad to see it stuff like this happen, but when you mess with massive companies like Epic Games who has quite a lot of power in the game industry, you're going to get s***ed on.

Solis posted...
At least no worthwhile games will be impacted by this move.

Still, strange judgment things considered. I don't see how it benefits anyone to literally take the game off the market. Didn't Silicon Knights pretty much rewrite the engine themselves? And can't they just pay to license Unreal Engine 3 and keep selling the games? Then again, the games are so old (or in most cases, not even released) that they probably won't sell enough copies anyway to justify that.

The way I see it is, it would be like you pirating a game, getting caught and then asking if you could just buy the game and all be forgotten. Companies are morons for suing each other, it makes them look bad and it generally back fires. Just look at Apple, pretty sure they were suing companies left, right and center. Then they were sued or something not long after.

Also look at Nintendo, they were sued by PETA because of Pokemon... Nintendo sued there asses lol.

To conclude, don't f*** with a multi-millionaire/billionaire company or you will get you ass handed to them.

PETA can suck it, I don't see how people still support those bastards.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#49RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 12:26:00 PM
Robin_Mask posted...
Lapanui posted...
Never heard of them up until now. It's sad to see it stuff like this happen, but when you mess with massive companies like Epic Games who has quite a lot of power in the game industry, you're going to get s***ed on.

Solis posted...
At least no worthwhile games will be impacted by this move.

Still, strange judgment things considered. I don't see how it benefits anyone to literally take the game off the market. Didn't Silicon Knights pretty much rewrite the engine themselves? And can't they just pay to license Unreal Engine 3 and keep selling the games? Then again, the games are so old (or in most cases, not even released) that they probably won't sell enough copies anyway to justify that.

The way I see it is, it would be like you pirating a game, getting caught and then asking if you could just buy the game and all be forgotten. Companies are morons for suing each other, it makes them look bad and it generally back fires. Just look at Apple, pretty sure they were suing companies left, right and center. Then they were sued or something not long after.

Also look at Nintendo, they were sued by PETA because of Pokemon... Nintendo sued there asses lol.

To conclude, don't f*** with a multi-millionaire/billionaire company or you will get you ass handed to them.

PETA can suck it, I don't see how people still support those bastards.

I'm a massive PETA supporter. I go to every rally I can.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
---
Dragon Age 2 is the greatest game I've ever played.-Arucard05
#50Arucard05Posted 11/9/2012 12:39:13 PM
This is the death of the company. Denis brought in himself though. This is what happens when you're a ******* idiot.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.