This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy any software utilizing UE3

#51RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 12:40:28 PM
Arucard05 posted...
This is the death of the company. Denis brought in himself though. This is what happens when you're a ******* idiot.

Hope he takes over RobotBlog.
---
Dragon Age 2 is the greatest game I've ever played.-Arucard05
#52CyricsServantPosted 11/9/2012 12:50:30 PM(edited)
Arucard05 posted...
This is the death of the company. Denis brought in himself though. This is what happens when you're a ******* idiot.

I think you're right. I read a fascinating article on Kotaku recently about the current state of Silicon Knights.

It's a super long article, so I decided to post some of the highlights.

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

For some former employees, it became "a bit of a sick game" to come into work each Monday and see how many more people had resigned. "At one point there was a collection of name plates in the art department that were taped to a drawing of a tree," recalls one. "It was growing with every resignation. Denis was extremely pissed when he saw it after a few weeks, but most people saw it as a remembrance of colleagues who had moved on and would be missed. We were losing people like crazy. The first people to go were some of the strongest, longest-standing employees at SK." These are people with "lead" and "director" in their titles.

According to sources, the relationship between Activision and Silicon Knights was "completely dysfunctional" in the final year of the game's development. "It became obvious that Activision producers knew what was going on behind their backs and just couldn't say anything," one former employee told me. "Eventually you poison a working relationship so badly that people end up jumping ship. And that's what happened on both sides, which left pink elephants grazing in the meeting room."
"SK didn't take the development of XMD seriously the entire time I was there," a source says. "They were working on an Eternal Darkness 2 demo that they could take to publishers. While I was there, they were even siphoning off staff from my [XMD] team to work on it." Sources allege that many of SK's programmers, artists and designers were not contributing to the final quality of XMD at all—at least, not in the first year of the game's development. "I was always complaining to the producers about this, as the numbers never worked out," the same source says. "Denis is not an X-Men fan either, so he didn't care much for the license. To him, it seemed more like a job to get us by, until ED2 could be developed and sold to a publisher—which never happened."
#53CyricsServantPosted 11/9/2012 12:45:35 PM(edited)
Yet despite this reportedly split effort, the ED2 demo also failed to come together in a satisfying way, sources said. "The farthest they got with it when I left SK was, literally, one two-level church interior," says one former employee. "It was really bad, as I recall. It took the side-team a long time to even get that far. Bad tech, combined with a team composed of people who had not shipped a title since Metal Gear really hurt that demo. Other than that, I can't explain why things went so poorly for them [except that] a lot of key people responsible for the original Eternal Darkness are long gone."
During my initial interviews with former employees, one of them told me, "Leaving the staff's name off credits is consistent with Denis' attitude towards former SK employees. If you leave SK, you are a ‘traitor,' and he will do whatever he can to **** you by denying you the validation of a finished game credit. This includes bad-mouthing employees with upwards of 10 years' experience the day they are out the door." Another source points out, "Having your wife head up HR is completely contrary to the purpose of an HR department. You couldn't talk to Joanne [confidentially] without it going straight back to Denis."
Given the poor quality and sales performance of XMD across all platforms, it now seems less likely than ever that Silicon Knights can resurrect their once-proud history of producing quality games. Several sources report that the company today exists as a shell of its former self, employing less than five staff—including Denis Dyack. (Ironically, this means that the company is closer than ever to the description that one of my sources gave when asked of his former employer: "Dyack is SK; SK is Dyack. They are one and the same — a single unchanging entity.")
#54wild09Posted 11/9/2012 12:44:21 PM
Hi C posted...
More than one developer sued Epic because they released early UE versions buggy and incomplete. Basically Epic needed money so they started licensing it broken before it was ready to get funds to finish it so they could do GoW.

It affected a LOT of games in the mid 00's and put some developers out of business. Corrupt courts sided with Epic (Microsoft) for some reason.

Silicon Knights
Troika
Square-Enix
Sigil
Eidos / Ion Storm

Had games effected.

Ummm Troika never used the Unreal 3 engine. I think you're getting it mixed up the the alpha version of the Source Engine they used for for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. And there was no law suit involved, Troika was simply forced to put the release of their game on hold until Valve released Half-Life 2, as they Valve wanted their game to be the poster child for the Source Engine. What sucks is despite Vampire: The Masquerade being finished for like a year (or something) it still came out buggy as hell because those bastards at Activision refused allow Troika to polish their game in the meantime (or continue paying to do it) even though it clearly wasn't ready for release.
---
Awesome games I've never finished: Vampire:
The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Black Sigil, 999 (True ending), Nier (all endings)
#55RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 12:48:23 PM
wild09 posted...
Hi C posted...
More than one developer sued Epic because they released early UE versions buggy and incomplete. Basically Epic needed money so they started licensing it broken before it was ready to get funds to finish it so they could do GoW.

It affected a LOT of games in the mid 00's and put some developers out of business. Corrupt courts sided with Epic (Microsoft) for some reason.

Silicon Knights
Troika
Square-Enix
Sigil
Eidos / Ion Storm

Had games effected.

Ummm Troika never used the Unreal 3 engine. I think you're getting it mixed up the the alpha version of the Source Engine they used for for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. And there was no law suit involved, Troika was simply forced to put the release of their game on hold until Valve released Half-Life 2, as they Valve wanted their game to be the poster child for the Source Engine. What sucks is despite Vampire: The Masquerade being finished for like a year (or something) it still came out buggy as hell because those bastards at Activision refused allow Troika to polish their game in the meantime (or continue paying to do it) even though it clearly wasn't ready for release.

You totally jumped the gun. He admitted he was mistaken with Troika, and I already said all that. :P

On the plus side, for anyone wondering, fans developed a patch to polish and fix the problems Vampire had when it hit retail.
---
#56stonedeaf4everPosted 11/9/2012 12:55:08 PM
Play Too Human for about 15 minutes, and you will understand this judgement.
---
~Crushin` 40 all the time.~
#57Arucard05Posted 11/9/2012 12:56:01 PM
Hope he takes over RobotBlog.

Pffffffffffff, he can have it.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#58wild09Posted 11/9/2012 12:58:02 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
wild09 posted...
Hi C posted...

Silicon Knights
Troika
Square-Enix
Sigil
Eidos / Ion Storm

Had games effected.

You totally jumped the gun. He admitted he was mistaken with Troika, and I already said all that. :P

On the plus side, for anyone wondering, fans developed a patch to polish and fix the problems Vampire had when it hit retail.

Heh my bad. Whenever I see stuff about Troika I just kinda become single minded. Such a great developer extinguished before it's time. It's ridiculous I've considered Vampire: The Masquerade one of my favorite games of all time (for years) and yet I've never beat it. It's because I don't want it to end. :)
---
#59RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 1:04:45 PM
Malkavian. You HAVE to play as a child of Malkav. It's hilarious at times.

Also, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscure is not to be missed, one of my favorite isometric RPGs.
---
#60wild09Posted 11/9/2012 1:11:21 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
Malkavian. You HAVE to play as a child of Malkav. It's hilarious at times.

Also, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscure is not to be missed, one of my favorite isometric RPGs.

Heh I have and it was glorious. Only 2 minutes in and I get "THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!" It was by that point I knew it was going to be a special playthough.
---