This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy any software utilizing UE3

#61TBONE_OGPosted 11/9/2012 1:27:19 PM
I tried to buy 2 of these new for 12 bucks on eBay and as I was checking out, I got an error. The dude raised the price to 22 bucks each. LOL.

I have the game used so nbd.
---
Always O.G.
#62WinternovaPosted 11/9/2012 1:28:43 PM
LesserAngel posted...
What I don't get, is how they can be ordered to destroy all software using the engine, they PAID for the license for the engine right? That's like Hershey suing their cocoa provider, losing the case, than being ordered to destroy all their chocolate, it doesn't make sense.

Silicon Knights committed copyright infringement and willfully misappropriated Epic's trade secrets. That's why they were counter-sued and why this remedy has been implemented. Hell, they copied Epic's code, including programmer comments that contained typos, into SK games and then tried to cover up the copying. It was willful copyright infringement and warrants the destruction of the infringing works. They never paid the licensing fee for UE3 for the games they made using part of the code of the engine.

It's pretty easy to understand if you read the document that was linked.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#63OrgeLambartPosted 11/9/2012 1:32:08 PM
This is pretty funny actually,
#64RPG_ApostlePosted 11/9/2012 1:34:46 PM
Winternova posted...
LesserAngel posted...
What I don't get, is how they can be ordered to destroy all software using the engine, they PAID for the license for the engine right? That's like Hershey suing their cocoa provider, losing the case, than being ordered to destroy all their chocolate, it doesn't make sense.

Silicon Knights committed copyright infringement and willfully misappropriated Epic's trade secrets. That's why they were counter-sued and why this remedy has been implemented. Hell, they copied Epic's code, including programmer comments that contained typos, into SK games and then tried to cover up the copying. It was willful copyright infringement and warrants the destruction of the infringing works. They never paid the licensing fee for UE3 for the games they made using part of the code of the engine.

Reading takes effort.
---
Dragon Age 2 is the greatest game I've ever played.-Arucard05
#65Ninjuggalotus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 1:35:07 PM
So....

Could this be the nail in the coffin for Silicon Knights?

Sadly, all signs point to yes. I think they only have like 5 active employees at the moment anyway.
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"
#66Arucard05Posted 11/9/2012 1:52:11 PM

I was just waiting for you to tell me what it meant. That document looks as fun to read as a TOS Agreement.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#67WinternovaPosted 11/9/2012 1:55:01 PM
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
Ninjuggalotus posted...
Silicon Knights shall cease producing or distributing Too Human, The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, X-Men: Destiny, and Siren in the Maelstrom, and shall recall and destroy (at the expense of Silicon Knights) all unsold copies...

And this, my friends, is PRECISELY WHY I AM AGAINST A PURELY DD-ONLY CONSOLE!

It's not really fair to Epic Games, however, to have copyright infringing products being used by the public. All copies should be destroyed, but it's impractical to do it. If Digital Distribution was the norm then the rights of Epic Games can be protected. I'm all for protecting people's rights - why are you so dead set on allowing infringement?
---
#68WinternovaPosted 11/9/2012 1:57:05 PM
Arucard05 posted...

I was just waiting for you to tell me what it meant. That document looks as fun to read as a TOS Agreement.

A great deal of it was discussing the arguments between SK and Epic about how much Epic gets for attorney's fees, preparation fees, etc. It helps to know what to "fast forward" through to find the reasoning, I guess.
---
#69Super CreaturesPosted 11/9/2012 2:38:31 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
I'm a massive PETA supporter. I go to every rally I can.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

All God's creatures look best next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#70Blade SeekerPosted 11/9/2012 2:52:53 PM
"unreal 3 blows, epic games isn't giving people the full engine!"

*continues to use unreal for multiple games*

Dumb ass SK. And I'm a fan of Too Human. Which means I don't get a sequel. Ugh

They had 5 employees left BEFORE this. There was never going to be a sequel.
---
|| Detroit Red Wings || Detroit Tigers || Detroit Pistons || Michigan Wolverines || Tampa Bay Buccaneers ||