This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy any software utilizing UE3

#71LostNPhoundPosted 11/9/2012 3:08:38 PM
Yeah they've been dead for a few years now. Which is too bad because Too Human had some redeeming qualities
#72Dragon NexusPosted 11/9/2012 3:14:33 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
I'm a massive PETA supporter. I go to every rally I can.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

All God's creatures look best next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#73Prince ShondronaiPosted 11/9/2012 3:47:20 PM(edited)
They'll go on to make some fine iOS games, I'm sure.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#74EternalWolfPosted 11/9/2012 10:58:17 PM
I dont know if its been posted yet, but here is a quick summary of what happened.

SK bought the UE3 early in its development stages and were planning to make the Too Human trilogy with it. Epic gave SK a very early, nearly unusable build of the engine and were supposed to keep feeding them the updatetd source but never did. SK was on a deadline to release Roo Human by MicroSoft so this greatly screwed up the game from costs and planning standpoint.

Once they realized Epic would never follow through on their word, they created their own engine using the half-assed source from UE3 as a base. They didnt have enough time to complete the engine or the game and released a game with poor production values but amazing ideas, environments, etc... It was like a incomplete masterpiece in a way. After the release they just kept working on the engine, eventually naming it the Silicon Knights engine or whatever.

They had no way of making money this way though, so they sued Epic for lying to them and f***ing them over. What should have been an easy when for SK was lost simply because they didnt have enough money to fight Epics counter suit, not because Epic was right and SK was wrong.

Simply put, SK trusted Epic and even had a contract in place with them. Epic voided the contract, SK sued them, Epic countersued because they had more money and won. Epic didnt want to lose face so they put one of the best developers of original IPs out of business for it.

Did you know if a Batman: Arkham Asylum movie gets made then Epic receives either 10 or 25 percent(cant remember which) for ALL profits made on the movie? Even though they had no involvement in the game or movie whatsoever, they receive a very large sum of money due to royalty fees that they get from and developer who makes a product with UE3.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#75BlackReignMCWPosted 11/10/2012 12:27:01 AM
WTF is The Sandman?
---
My Buddy's Uncle's Cousin's Brother has a friend who works in Atlantis and saw Batman nut punch an albino midget Unicorn wrestler. True story.
#76BloodLoverForeverPosted 11/11/2012 2:47:40 AM
EternalWolf posted...
I dont know if its been posted yet, but here is a quick summary of what happened.

SK bought the UE3 early in its development stages and were planning to make the Too Human trilogy with it. Epic gave SK a very early, nearly unusable build of the engine and were supposed to keep feeding them the updatetd source but never did. SK was on a deadline to release Roo Human by MicroSoft so this greatly screwed up the game from costs and planning standpoint.

Once they realized Epic would never follow through on their word, they created their own engine using the half-assed source from UE3 as a base. They didnt have enough time to complete the engine or the game and released a game with poor production values but amazing ideas, environments, etc... It was like a incomplete masterpiece in a way. After the release they just kept working on the engine, eventually naming it the Silicon Knights engine or whatever.

They had no way of making money this way though, so they sued Epic for lying to them and f***ing them over. What should have been an easy when for SK was lost simply because they didnt have enough money to fight Epics counter suit, not because Epic was right and SK was wrong.

Simply put, SK trusted Epic and even had a contract in place with them. Epic voided the contract, SK sued them, Epic countersued because they had more money and won. Epic didnt want to lose face so they put one of the best developers of original IPs out of business for it.

Did you know if a Batman: Arkham Asylum movie gets made then Epic receives either 10 or 25 percent(cant remember which) for ALL profits made on the movie? Even though they had no involvement in the game or movie whatsoever, they receive a very large sum of money due to royalty fees that they get from and developer who makes a product with UE3.

This is a very sad story indeed, that's why big developers do their own engine. But I wonder why this didnt happen to Bioshock game and Batman although they took the engine at the same period as SK?
---
BLF
#77The_DjokerPosted 11/11/2012 4:25:34 PM
Who is Silicon Knights and what the **** does he do?!

Typical new generation kid.
---
http://s16.postimage.org/n9cmvufj7/Kagawa_djoker.png
#78IWUPosted 11/11/2012 4:39:47 PM
chris_ posted...
RPG_Apostle posted...
So....

Could this be the nail in the coffin for Silicon Knights?

Pretty much, too bad because i really wanted a sequel to ED

Can you imagine MS buying the ED license from SK and then hiring someone like Arcane studious (Dishonored) to make a sequel?
---
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
#79Halo_ForeverPosted 11/12/2012 5:05:16 AM
Winternova posted...

It's not really fair to Epic Games, however, to have copyright infringing products being used by the public. All copies should be destroyed, but it's impractical to do it. If Digital Distribution was the norm then the rights of Epic Games can be protected. I'm all for protecting people's rights - why are you so dead set on allowing infringement?

Because I bought that game, so unless Epic pays me back, I am deadset on allowing infringement.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#80ElitePosted 11/14/2012 7:32:46 PM
I live in St. Catharines and I knew alot of the guys at SK before 97% of them left. Worked in the same building. What a shame. Hopefully someone talented buys their IPs and we can get a sequel to Eternal Darkness, or at least a remake.

I also find it ironic that X Men destiny is now available on games on demand as of today.