This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What gaming memories will stick with you this gen?

#31ReploidAXZPosted 11/10/2012 11:25:30 AM
ZacTB posted...
1. Mass Effect series
2. Gears of War series
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Portal series
6. GTA IV

I knew I was forgetting something, how could I forget Portal?
---
R.I.P RARE.
#32Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 12:27:08 PM
Sheesh, wondered why this had hit 31 replies so quickly. darkhare turned up.

I'm going to add Mass Effect and Halo Reach into this as well. Not for the story or the graphics or the gameplay but for one major reason.
Character creation done well.

Not so much in Reach, I'll agree, and I know a lot of you are saying "Whaaaaa? But Reach just had you play as "Spartan" or if you were advanced "Female Spartan". What's so awesome about that?"

Okay, I'll explain. In Halo 1, 2, 3 and ODST you play as "Some guy". Master Chief, or The Rookie or whatever. They're pre-made characters and have their own background (or in the case of The Rookie...no personality what-so-ever.)
But in Reach, I could craft a Spartan. In the Halo universe it's sort of a given that a Spartan will look different depending on personality, this was really embodied in Reach. Each customised his or her armour to their own liking...and I did the same for my gal.
Then they put you into a group and have the group befriend you. Suddenly I was one of the gang, they were my comrades and we were working for the same goal. I added and changed parts of the armour to suit how I thought 6 would look. I gave her a history , appearance and a personality in my head to go along with what the game gave me. So yeah, I guess it's about how much effort the player puts in, but I didn't find it too hard to get an attachment to her.

I actually still kinda miss her. She was *my* Spartan. I made her. Going back to Halo 4 reminds me of the single best thing to come out of Reach (and also the worst for the same reason). I cared about Noble 6 because she was mine, my own personal Spartan that I made and outfitted. I was frustrated at the end of the game, transporting Cortana, to find that she couldn't go on the Autumn (Obviously I knew she didn't) but it was still an issue of feeling second best to Master Chief. I took a bit of offense to that, because my gal was awesome.

So yeah, in some games just this little bit of freedom for your character can go a long way to making their struggles feel more personal. I'm not rooting for "Some guy"...I'm rooting for my guy.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#33ZacTBPosted 11/10/2012 12:46:25 PM
ReploidAXZ posted...
ZacTB posted...
1. Mass Effect series
2. Gears of War series
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Portal series
6. GTA IV

I knew I was forgetting something, how could I forget Portal?

Yeah the Portal series will definitely stick with me. I can't believe I forgot the Walking Dead in my list though, This is probably my proper list:

1. Mass Effect series
2. Gears of War series
4. The Walking Dead
5. Portal series
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. GTA IV

It's kind of hard to write memorable moments since I have so many.
#34DyingPancakePosted 11/10/2012 12:48:29 PM
Too many to name really

The two that really stand out we're CoD 4 because that was one of my first ventures into online fps's and pretty much everything dealing with Halo 3. Especially playing co-op with my friends during the fin escape on the last level. So much fun
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 1
#35AApt24Posted 11/10/2012 12:48:41 PM
I remember both good and bad. The game worlds in this generation were incredible, and we got some pretty special characters and game events.

But we also saw disappointment. From the vomit that was Fable 3 to sequels that didn't end the way they should have to the whoring of single player for online multiplayer....and day one dlc we have plenty to be nauseous about too.
---
"This Year in Jerusalem."
#36pots555Posted 11/10/2012 12:52:16 PM
Assassin's Creed II. It was the first game I bought for my 360. I spent weeks playing this game non-stop.

Tron Evolution. I know this sounds weird, but, as an older gamer, I used to love the first Tron movie that came out. I played the earlier games on the Intellivision with my cousins and had fun. Evolution, by no means a great game, just gave me a nostalgia feel that was awesome. I own it on the PS3 and I have the collector edition for the 360.

Fallout 3. Such an amazing experience when I stepped out of the vault for the first time. New Vegas was also a high point this gen.

Deus Ex Human Revolution. One of my favourite game ever. Everything was just perfect for me.

Lastly, The Walking Dead game. Brilliant!
#37zeldafan477Posted 11/10/2012 1:39:01 PM
Just one memory.

Dragon's Dogma, the game that restored my faith in Capcom.

Until it came out, i forgot that Capcom could make good games outside of Megaman, the pre-5 Resident Evils, and Viewtiful Joe. (no Street Fighter because I'm horrible at fighting games, thus I don't like them)
---
Not changing this until Capcom either gets their act together or the company goes under (Dragon's Dogma was a good start.)
#38shinobisBACKPosted 11/10/2012 1:43:10 PM
loading up gears1 for first time when i got my xbox, was amazing. the gameplay mechanics, graphics, just everything killed any other game i had seen up to that point.

finding the editor in trials hd, and spending months/years making maps with it. the complex things you could do with the simplicity of the editor anyone could pickup and enjoy. i had used game editors before but none as good or easy to use.

i have lots of memories from old gens, but this gen those are the only 2. now im maybe a bit jaded or bored and new games are not exciting, more like been there done that in some other form in some other game already.
#39Arucard05Posted 11/10/2012 1:47:29 PM
There's a lot of things one could fault Deadly Premonition with, but I'll remember that game far longer than most games I've played.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#40oasisbeyondPosted 11/10/2012 1:51:21 PM
Yeah I forgot Portal also, that game messed with my brain more then Cocaine would. But I never cheated and it was rewarding in the end.