This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve working next gen Source Engine. Also believes exclusives are bad

#21pothocketPosted 11/12/2012 7:41:16 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
tracazoid posted...
That's your opinion, Half Life set the score for shooter campaigns with each title being very well received. Portal is one of the more unique titles this generation and Counter Strike no matter the version is still one of, or just outright the most competitive shooter still on the market.

If CS, one of the most popular shooters to ever hit the PC and most successful mod ever and also Portal are not up in the top 10 of PC titles I don't know what would be there to replace them.

On the other hand, they're very slow with releasing things and are known for endless delays. They've been using the same engine for quite a while.

Sure, they're a developer that consistently puts out high-quality games and they respect their fanbase and treat them very well, but... I think they don't deserve to be called one of the best developers ever, merely because everything they develop take so long and because they've been milking the same engine for so long already.

LOL, never mind the fact that they make some of the best games ever, I don't like how they make them.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#22CyricsServantPosted 11/12/2012 7:45:46 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
But what do you mean when you say it is bad for the company?

It limits their potential audience. The console manufacturer has to be willing to offset the third party's losses (e.g. promoting the game, paying for the game's development, receiving less royalties per unit, etc).

It seems like these days console manufacturers are less willing to do that . . . or maybe it's just more profitable to make a game multi-plat despite exclusivity benefits.
#23DarkSymbiotePosted 11/12/2012 7:46:58 AM
CyricsServant posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...
But what do you mean when you say it is bad for the company?

It limits their potential audience. The console manufacturer has to be willing to offset the third party's losses (e.g. promoting the game, paying for the game's development, receiving less royalties per unit, etc).

It seems like these days console manufacturers are less willing to do that . . . or maybe it's just more profitable to make a game multi-plat despite exclusivity benefits.

Interesting.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#24nonexistingheroPosted 11/12/2012 7:51:59 AM
pothocket posted...
LOL, never mind the fact that they make some of the best games ever, I don't like how they make them.

I think their best games are just as good as the best games of other companies. Difference is that quite a few other developers manage to create and release a lot more games in the same timespan, using different engines. Sure, not all the games those companies develop is superb, but they still create plenty of good ones, aside from the superb ones.

For Valve it's also either multiplayer focused with no (decent) single player (I'm not too big on multi-only games). Or they're single-player focused, but lack replay value. I only enjoy their games for 1 playthrough and that's it.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#25Majoras_pantsPosted 11/12/2012 7:52:59 AM
Exclusives are pretty bad.

I mean sure they can look a little better. but if you want good graphics why are you touching consoles?
#26DarkSymbiotePosted 11/12/2012 7:54:51 AM
pothocket posted...

I think their best games are just as good as the best games of other companies. Difference is that quite a few other developers manage to create and release a lot more games in the same timespan, using different engines. Sure, not all the games those companies develop is superb, but they still create plenty of good ones, aside from the superb ones.

For Valve it's also either multiplayer focused with no (decent) single player (I'm not too big on multi-only games). Or they're single-player focused, but lack replay value. I only enjoy their games for 1 playthrough and that's it.

Very much agree.

Majoras_pants posted...
Exclusives are pretty bad.

I mean sure they can look a little better. but if you want good graphics why are you touching consoles?

We don't WANT graphics but don't be naive.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#27tracazoidPosted 11/12/2012 8:22:47 AM(edited)
tracazoid posted...
That's your opinion, Half Life set the score for shooter campaigns with each title being very well received. Portal is one of the more unique titles this generation and Counter Strike no matter the version is still one of, or just outright the most competitive shooter still on the market.

If CS, one of the most popular shooters to ever hit the PC and most successful mod ever and also Portal are not up in the top 10 of PC titles I don't know what would be there to replace them.

On the other hand, they're very slow with releasing things and are known for endless delays. They've been using the same engine for quite a while.

Sure, they're a developer that consistently puts out high-quality games and they respect their fanbase and treat them very well, but... I think they don't deserve to be called one of the best developers ever, merely because everything they develop take so long and because they've been milking the same engine for so long already.

You mean a game about once a year?

Let's just go by The Orange Box being this generations first Valve game, with TF2, EP2 and Portal being the new games in that package.

The Orange Box(2007)-New games being TF2, EP2 and Portal.
Left 4 Dead(2008)
Left 4 Dead 2(2009)
Alien Swarm(2010)
Portal 2(2011)
Counter Strike Global Offensive(2012)
Dota 2(whenever, I'm sure that's the developer of Dota's decision)

That's a game nearly every year, yeah Alien Swarm was free and a little experiment yet that's hardly a long time between L4D2 and Portal 2. Valve isn't a huge developer studio either, they are independent with under 300 employees and don't answer to anyone besides Gabe who is quite lax on release yes but look at all they've done this generation outside of Steam.

Don't forget that many shooter campaigns owe a lot of Half Life, it was the title that made shooter campaigns more cinematic. Most modern shooter campaigns owes something to Half Life in some regard.

The Engine isn't really an issue, tons of games use old-ish engines. Source is highly modular. The Source that appeared in Half Life 2 in 04 is a very different beast than Portal 2 Source which has new ways of rendering shadows and liquids, I'm not even sure what Dota 2 has done with the engine. Each new Source title has done something to modify and improve upon the engine.

Engines grow and evolve, I'm sure Source 2 will have at least some of the original Source code just as Source has some code from GoldSrc which is itself a modified Quake engine. Plenty of titles use revisions on older engines and plenty of engines are revisions of even older engines, CoD for example is also using a modified Quake engine and it really hasn't held them back in terms of physical look at least.
#28BlueJester007Posted 11/12/2012 8:27:40 AM
I hear Half Life 2.99999999999999999999999999 is set to release sometime next year.
---
Sig'd --vigorm0rtis
#29TheArcadePosted 11/12/2012 9:00:02 AM
rofflchopper posted...
Exclusives are the reason there are different consoles. lol

---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Windcutter Flora, God-Eye Galatea
#30nonexistingheroPosted 11/12/2012 9:07:53 AM
tracazoid posted...
You mean a game about once a year?

Let's just go by The Orange Box being this generations first Valve game, with TF2, EP2 and Portal being the new games in that package.

The Orange Box(2007)-New games being TF2, EP2 and Portal.
Left 4 Dead(2008)
Left 4 Dead 2(2009)
Alien Swarm(2010)
Portal 2(2011)
Counter Strike Global Offensive(2012)
Dota 2(whenever, I'm sure that's the developer of Dota's decision)

That's a game nearly every year, yeah Alien Swarm was free and a little experiment yet that's hardly a long time between L4D2 and Portal 2. Valve isn't a huge developer studio either, they are independent with under 300 employees and don't answer to anyone besides Gabe who is quite lax on release yes but look at all they've done this generation outside of Steam.

Don't forget that many shooter campaigns owe a lot of Half Life, it was the title that made shooter campaigns more cinematic. Most modern shooter campaigns owes something to Half Life in some regard.

The Engine isn't really an issue, tons of games use old-ish engines. Source is highly modular. The Source that appeared in Half Life 2 in 04 is a very different beast than Portal 2 Source which has new ways of rendering shadows and liquids, I'm not even sure what Dota 2 has done with the engine. Each new Source title has done something to modify and improve upon the engine.

Engines grow and evolve, I'm sure Source 2 will have at least some of the original Source code just as Source has some code from GoldSrc which is itself a modified Quake engine. Plenty of titles use revisions on older engines and plenty of engines are revisions of even older engines, CoD for example is also using a modified Quake engine and it really hasn't held them back in terms of physical look at least.

Every single game/product being either short or a rehash from something they already made. Portal 2 is the biggest project they had since this generation started. That's hardly an impressive record.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.