This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve working next gen Source Engine. Also believes exclusives are bad

#31petran78Posted 11/12/2012 8:33:09 AM
You never said you'd buy a SNES because a new Zelda, Mario or Metroid would be developed.

you bought it and then played whatever games it had.
Same with Sega MegaDrive. One may have liked the different music in each chipset, different animation and controllers etc.

Now, when all consoles are the same, you say

"I'll buy a PS3 from day one because MGS will appear in 1 year. "
"I'll buy Xbox for Halo"
"I'll buy Wii U for the "new" Mario games"

Game brands shouldnt substitute gaming.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#32tracazoidPosted 11/12/2012 9:02:08 AM(edited)
Every single game/product being either short or a rehash from something they already made. Portal 2 is the biggest project they had since this generation started. That's hardly an impressive record.

Well welcome to gaming, which almost entirely is built on sequels to existing IP or if you can't get the IP rights you get Dark Souls. When people complain about rehashing things they are kind of grasping at straws as that's most of the industry as a whole with a some notable exceptions, even indies have enough puzzle platformer art-fests that mess with time or gravity or just do basic physics puzzles.

We are on Metal Gear 7 or 8 now and that's not counting titles like Ghost Babel. Nintendo franchises, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc. Gaming is built on sequels and rehashes of ideas or even homages like 3D Dot Game Heroes or Super Meat Boy and if something dies it might often be long enough for them to find a clever way to reboot it like Spyro. Heck Prince of Persia got a reboot, failed and rebooted back to the trilogy franchise and kind of died...yet don't go thinking that series will be gone forever.

TF2 is in no way a rehash, it's nothing like Team Fortress in terms of fundamental game play(namely everyone having grenades which changes everything when everyone can essentially be a "Demoman" with some kind of explosive device), never mind what TF2 is now with all the items and hats. Nothing would have been added to Portal 1 that would have made it better, anything more really would have been padding the game out which more developers could learn a thing or two from involving not padding things out(most of Bioshock after Andrew Ryan).

You can't mess with Dota or CS, they are the two most competitive gaming communities. Mess with too much with these titles and you will fail to get the audience that has played those titles for a half decade or more. In fact CS GO could be deemed a failure as it's still has yet to beat the original CS or CS:Source on Steam in terms of players so it seems it didn't quite hit its goal of bringing the CS communities together.

Heck Dota 2 got a recent patch that outright changed its fundamental mechanics into Dota, Dota 1 and 2 are now identical games besides graphics. There is no need to mess with the fundamentals of those titles as it would only alienate fans for the franchise.

Really I don't see how they're any different from a large chunk of the gaming industry, by rehashing standards most of the industry is at fault for rehashing things. Didn't you say all shooters these days were CoD clones? You should know as well as anyone what the gaming industry does and it's not just shooters it's many genres.

Remember the space gravity levels in Sonic Adventure 2? Yeah they were great fun with the gravity mechanics then I saw them again and improved in Super Mario Galaxy.
#33Dark_SpiretPosted 11/12/2012 8:53:35 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Every single game/product being either short or a rehash from something they already made. Portal 2 is the biggest project they had since this generation started. That's hardly an impressive record.
actually thats a very impressive record. even if you dont include anything but Left 4 Dead which is considered one of the best coop games of all time and Portal 2 which has one of the highest game ratings of all time. Dota 2 is also immensely popular and its FREE(right now). Valve are not EA or Activision, they are not a massive company with thousands of employees(i believe they only employ 300 people) . You also have to look at what they do for the industry beyond making games. They constantly listen to their fans, they constantly update their games and add in FREE content, they put out a service that boomed sales for an entire platform, they give lesser known companies a higher chance to shine and get their games known to the public.

There are lots of reasons why valve are regarded so highly.
---
Currently playing: FTL - X-COM: EU - Hotline Miami
#34Robin_MaskPosted 11/12/2012 8:53:51 AM
petran78 posted...
You never said you'd buy a SNES because a new Zelda, Mario or Metroid would be developed.

you bought it and then played whatever games it had.
Same with Sega MegaDrive. One may have liked the different music in each chipset, different animation and controllers etc.

Now, when all consoles are the same, you say

"I'll buy a PS3 from day one because MGS will appear in 1 year. "
"I'll buy Xbox for Halo"
"I'll buy Wii U for the "new" Mario games"

Game brands shouldnt substitute gaming.

I wouldn't really compare the days of the old to the new ones.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#35Silent Sniper IVPosted 11/12/2012 11:49:27 AM(edited)
Another thing not being mentioned is valve really is more about empowering gamers with source creation kits, player-friendly mod community and hubs, and recent things like their source movie maker. People don't play games like half life two for so long because it's half life two, they play it because every day people do new amazing and terrible things with the source engine. The games aren't really the main draw, the engine itself and ease of modifying it is.

A great recent example is http://release.blackmesasource.com/ , a very high quality user project remaking HL1 in the source engine, with new music, textures, and overall just an amazing effort.
---
"Nerd" and "gamer" have become the ultimate consumerist identity. Completely devoid of values outside of consumption without reflection.
#36AsucaHayashiPosted 11/12/2012 12:03:08 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Another thing not being mentioned is valve really is more about empowering gamers with source creation kits, player-friendly mod community and hubs, and recent things like their source movie maker. People don't play games like half life two for so long because it's half life two, they play it because every day people do new amazing and terrible things with the source engine. The games aren't really the main draw, the engine itself and ease of modifying it is.

A great recent example is http://release.blackmesasource.com/ , a very high quality user project remaking HL1 in the source engine, with new music, textures, and overall just an amazing effort.

new L4D2 full campaign:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z37koM9hD-g

price: $0
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#37MeCha MaRiO JRPosted 11/12/2012 12:03:17 PM
creepjack posted...
Valve needs to shut up and run Steam. They by far the most over rated game developer on the planet.

And you're by far the most misinformed gamer on the planet. I'd love to know what developers you praise.
---
Xbox Live GT: Black Mesa Inc & Steam ID: JoeBeef
Reading isn't hard if you don't sweat comprehension.
#38HENTAIDOJIPosted 11/12/2012 12:55:04 PM
Newell also revealed why exclusive content is bad for business, saying that Valve has no interest in heading down that path, instead preferring to reap the benefits of organic growth to the digital space.

Steam on the Windows 8 store then Gabe? I dare you.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#39popping4itPosted 11/12/2012 1:05:18 PM
Valve can't count to 3.

lol so true.

half life 1
half life 2

half life 2 - episode 1
half life 2 - episode 2

portal 1
portal 2

team fortress
team fortress 2

dota 2

Left 4 dead
Left 4 dead 2

Counter-strike
Counter strike: zero condition
---
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
#40Silent Sniper IVPosted 11/12/2012 1:05:38 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...

Steam on the Windows 8 store then Gabe? I dare you.

Why would you put steam on a store, it's free.
---
"Nerd" and "gamer" have become the ultimate consumerist identity. Completely devoid of values outside of consumption without reflection.