This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Halo 4 Makes $220 Million in 24 Hours. Glad to see Halo name still going strong

#11squarex8264Posted 11/12/2012 6:36:01 PM
TheBlueStig posted...

So they spent $100 Mil, and made $220 mil inside of 24 hours.

Now include all the money they're gonna make from licensed figures, posters, and other assorted toys and licensed merchandise, and there's no way in hell that anybody can claim that videogame developers are some kind of "starving artists" who need every penny they can make.

Well, I suppose that is true in light of 343's success, but franchises like Assassin's Creed, Halo, and Call of Duty are definitely not the norm.

There are tons of great games that have huge development budgets that barely surpass a million after a few months across multiple platforms and may not recoup all development costs or make enough money to invest in another effort.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
#12TheBlueStigPosted 11/12/2012 6:40:47 PM
squarex8264 posted...
Well, I suppose that is true in light of 343's success, but franchises like Assassin's Creed, Halo, and Call of Duty are definitely not the norm.

There are tons of great games that have huge development budgets that barely surpass a million after a few months across multiple platforms and may not recoup all development costs or make enough money to invest in another effort.

The only differences between big franchises and small development house games is advertising and hype, and occasional quality.

When the smaller development houses don't bother to advertise at all, they only have themselves to blame when their sales tank.
#13DaKingOPosted 11/12/2012 7:43:35 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
squarex8264 posted...

The only differences between big franchises and small development house games is advertising and hype, and occasional quality.

When the smaller development houses don't bother to advertise at all, they only have themselves to blame when their sales tank.

I'm sorry but you can't magically pull advertising dollars out of your butt. Halo probably had a huge....huge advertising budget, probably 2-3 times the size of the budget of another game. If you don't have the money have a huge advertising budget, then you're not going to do huge numbers....hell there are only handful of games that have those advertising budgets.
---
Disgaea 3, now in Laharl mode............................lol
#14sonicteam2k1Posted 11/12/2012 7:44:22 PM
jon davis posted...
How much are your MS shares worth?

stop being a F'N hater, jeez
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#15TheMuffinPosted 11/12/2012 8:41:12 PM
zerooo0 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
What was the full R&D budget for the game?

60mill for the game.

But the Web Series MAY could of added another 40million to it.

It's estimated that FUD only cost 6 million. Makes you wonder how so many blockbuster movies cost over 100,000,000 nowadays.
---
Reel_Big_Mike~ That's like asking if you want to drink regular bleach or color safe bleach. Either way, you're gonna have a bad time.
#16_OujiDoza_Posted 11/12/2012 8:43:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Sheep will throw some garbage figures into this to try and claim M$ will be in the red despite such a profit >_>
---
GT: PrinceDoZeR
http://is.gd/jPZGx1
#17DaKingOPosted 11/12/2012 9:23:17 PM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
I'm pretty sure Sheep will throw some garbage figures into this to try and claim M$ will be in the red despite such a profit >_>

There's no way they could possibly spin this.....you'd have to be a horribly sad person to do so....
---
#18_OujiDoza_Posted 11/12/2012 9:26:27 PM
There's no way they could possibly spin this.....you'd have to be a horribly sad person to do so....

By "Sheep" I meant Sheepinator, who is really good at trying to convince us consumer folk that there are way too many expenses to turn a profit.
---
GT: PrinceDoZeR
http://is.gd/jPZGx1
#19DaKingOPosted 11/12/2012 9:34:30 PM
_OujiDoza_ posted...

By "Sheep" I meant Sheepinator, who is really good at trying to convince us consumer folk that there are way too many expenses to turn a profit.

Oh....makes sense, I'll be sure to avoid him.
---