This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People hate on CoD for hate's sake.

#101GunningSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 9:46:07 PM(edited)
Pezofpower posted...
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...
You failed to address my assertion Gunning. Where's your logic there? Why is that acceptable?

It is not more or less acceptable for Call of Duty than it is for other franchises. If you dislike CoDs repetition, then be consequent and dislike Zelda's, Mario's, Halo's or any other franchise's repetition. Anything else is double standards.

I'm not disputing CoD on the basis of game design other than it's blatant simplicity and how it Impacts the games I actually care about. The fact it is repetitive is inconsequential, it's the casual nature of the game itself not the features and how that bleeds into other genre's and series simply because it sells, that I take issue with. I don't play the game because I don't like what it has to offer. I hate the game because It ruins other games by creating trends brought on by it's model. Mario and Donkey Kong Didn't ruin Halo, Call of Duty did, If there had been a game where I felt it was the case my animosity would be just the same. I've said it before, Modern Warfare was great and then World at War came out and caused the market shift I keep referring to and now It's becoming a problem.

And yet, this same simplicity is often praised for other games. Retro gaming is often looked fondly upon, but it's usually the simplest form of gaming there is. Additionnaly, I'd argue that CoD is as simple as Halo, seeing as they are both linear shooters with a well-defined structure that neither often detract from. Halo is more open-wordly at times, giving you liberty to ride vehicules and explore a bit, which is enjoyable. But the core gameplay mechanics, concerning movement, shooting and the overall structure of the game, are just as complex or simple as CoD's. If you fault a franchise, then you should fault the other.
---
The things of me? Well I am tolding you;
I have turned into very funny, ha ha ha!!
#102PezofpowerPosted 11/13/2012 9:56:48 PM
Let's be clear.
Call of Duty is simple.
Retro games are basic.

I denote this difference because something that is simple may not necessarily be basic.
Simplicity comes from a lack of needing to learn new concepts Such as what a grenade indicator is or the way CoD tends to translate the controls from game to game. There is a lack of increased complexity in the variance between games. Proof of this is the fact that there are assets from MW1 used in MW3, and personally I don't think new game modes justify something being presented as a new game. In it's prime time Halo 3 did this well because Bungie constantly rolled out new game types.

Basic retro games tend to take older concepts and reinvent them still Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu saves the world and On the rain slicked precipice of darkness III are all good examples of this. Also and most importantly to me, casual players don't play retro titles generally speaking. Which means that they are not communicating to game companies retro games are the way to go to make profits. Which of course means that they are less convoluted by bad designs reinforcing the fact that I play them
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#103m4sturch33fPosted 11/13/2012 10:01:22 PM
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...
You failed to address my assertion Gunning. Where's your logic there? Why is that acceptable?

It is not more or less acceptable for Call of Duty than it is for other franchises. If you dislike CoDs repetition, then be consequent and dislike Zelda's, Mario's, Halo's or any other franchise's repetition. Anything else is double standards.

I'm not disputing CoD on the basis of game design other than it's blatant simplicity and how it Impacts the games I actually care about. The fact it is repetitive is inconsequential, it's the casual nature of the game itself not the features and how that bleeds into other genre's and series simply because it sells, that I take issue with. I don't play the game because I don't like what it has to offer. I hate the game because It ruins other games by creating trends brought on by it's model. Mario and Donkey Kong Didn't ruin Halo, Call of Duty did, If there had been a game where I felt it was the case my animosity would be just the same. I've said it before, Modern Warfare was great and then World at War came out and caused the market shift I keep referring to and now It's becoming a problem.

And yet, this same simplicity is often praised for other games. Retro gaming is often looked fondly upon, but it's usually the simplest form of gaming there is. Additionnaly, I'd argue that CoD is as simple as Halo, seeing as they are both linear shooters with a well-defined structure that neither often detract from. Halo is more open-wordly at times, giving you liberty to ride vehicules and explore a bit, which is enjoyable. But the core gameplay mechanics, concerning movement, shooting and the overall structure of the game, are just as complex or simple as CoD's. If you fault a franchise, then you should fault the other.

Do you only read the first few words of a post, hit reply, then start spewing things from your keyboard?

If you read, and actually comprehend what was written you would see that the problem is the fact that because CoD 'sells well', all games feel they have to be made with the same template which shifts the entire gaming industry as a whole from being unique games to 'A game with a little bit of X, and the rest is FPS elements from CoD'.

It's the exact same plague that hit the MMO market when World of Warcraft became a 'hit'. If you can't see how the casual FPS market is hurting games as a WHOLE, then you might want to reassess your grip on reality.
#104CapwnDPosted 11/13/2012 10:23:37 PM(edited)
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...

Do you only read the first few words of a post, hit reply, then start spewing things from your keyboard?

If you read, and actually comprehend what was written you would see that the problem is the fact that because CoD 'sells well', all games feel they have to be made with the same template which shifts the entire gaming industry as a whole from being unique games to 'A game with a little bit of X, and the rest is FPS elements from CoD'.

It's the exact same plague that hit the MMO market when World of Warcraft became a 'hit'. If you can't see how the casual FPS market is hurting games as a WHOLE, then you might want to reassess your grip on reality.

You're delusional. A handful of games try to copy COD. And it's for the multiplayer aspects of it.

You tinfoil hat people are so out of touch with reality, looking for something to blame.
---
Thrash Zone
#105PezofpowerPosted 11/13/2012 10:13:49 PM
@CaPwnd

Halo 4 made $220 million in 24 hours.
That's a $220 million incentive not to change the formula. If one series is ruined because of another that's one of a handful too many. Halo has been a travesty since 3.
---
#106CapwnDPosted 11/13/2012 10:22:57 PM
Because you don't like it doesn't make it a travesty.
---
Thrash Zone
#107PezofpowerPosted 11/13/2012 10:30:29 PM
CaPwnD posted...
Because you and a few other million people don't like it doesn't make it a travesty.

Fix'd for accuracy.

It totally does, I've been on board with the series since Halo 1 launch I have the same reasonable complaints as most people and after 3 it has gone down hill. Most Halo fans who are not casual gamers feel this way. Logically speaking we come back to the initial issue of casuals ruining it because they want to go pew pew and because they're willing to buy the same rehashed junk. Casuals can have call of duty, they can have kinect boxing they can have farmville. But for the franchises originally intended for the big boys you need to nut up or shutup.
---
#108m4sturch33fPosted 11/13/2012 10:35:03 PM
CaPwnD posted...
Because you don't like it doesn't make it a travesty.

You support the current trend of the homogenization of games to CoD clones? Awesome.

Can't wait for fallout to be another run and gun, stripped of it's entire method of character customization, so it can fit the current mindset of casual gamers.
#109tracazoidPosted 11/13/2012 10:41:00 PM(edited)
I'm with CaPwnd on this one, you guys are delusional.
#110CapwnDPosted 11/13/2012 10:39:59 PM
Oh wow. You guys and the casual gamer thing are just ridiculous. You act like twelve year olds yet you're calling others "kid" and throwing the word casual around as some sort of insult to anybody who likes games that you don't like.

Did.. you really just say nut up or shut up?

I am officially stupider for having met you.
---
Thrash Zone