This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People hate on CoD for hate's sake.

#141m4sturch33fPosted 11/14/2012 6:56:23 PM
GunningSoul posted...
poopnolan posted...
My reasons for disliking the COD franchise is somewhat personal to me. I dislike it because it represents all things wrong and flawed with humanity as a whole. It rewards dying with deathstreaks, rewards doing good with doing better, rewards using a gun with more gun parts, etc. It basically tricks the player into continued play by constantly stroking them at every turn. It creates this situation where you aren't playing to hone your skills and dominate similar skilled players, but playing to see explosions, nukes, helicopters, and a whole slew of other mind numbing things occur on your screen, all at a persistent 60 frames per second. Its all very insulting to me. A game where situational awareness and streak chaining/spawn trapping prevails over gun battles and tactics.

The differences between Twilight Princess, or Mario Galaxy to Ocarina, or 64, is immense. Those games reinvent, innovate, and still manage to keep what made the originals so beloved intact. Call of Duty sequels all look, play, and behave the same. And each one sells better than the last, so it discourages talented individuals from actually innovating, and encourages short development cycles by slightly modifying previous assets. Call of Duty games are designed in such a way that they are meant to pander to the lowest form of life on earth. People who continue to ensure that folks like Micheal Bay or Skrillex will always be loaded with cash.

Most of this is a matter of opinion. It does not make me wrong for enjoying CoD for the superfluous fun it is, like most videogames are and have always be. The parallel to Zelda is revelant and you would have to be in a denial to fail to observe that Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess are as much of the same game as Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops. They both have the exact same structure from one iteration to the next. Both new Zelda and Call of Duty comes with new campains/stories and guns/items and a few new tweaks. Have you played any two 3D Zelda game recently? Aside from Skyward Sword, they all play virtually the same and are built around the same infrastructure. Dont you dare have double standards and tell me that one can do and be forgiven for what the other does just as well and is criticized for, that would be hypocrisy.

The development cycle for a Call of Duty game is actually around two years, since they toss the ball between the two major develloping studios. It's about the average lenght of time for most games. If you had played any Call of Duty game recently, you would see that from one iteration to the other, there is enough difference to warrant a play. My question would be, have you even bothered to do so or are you drawing conclusions from an handful of internet messages and online screenshots?

You look down upon Call of Duty for being instant gratification, and yet is there more instantaneous gratification than the simplicity of a Mario game? There is no planning in jumping and running, as much as there is no planning in running and shooting. Once again, you fault one game franchises for flaws that are actually the selling points of another.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am to mine. My opinion is that I like video games in general, and that both Call of Duty and Nintendo games are fun for what they are. I do not see why I should be ashamed of my enjoyement.

Keep living in your delusional world of brogaming, bro. The CoD franchise's success is ruining any interest from deviating from the brogamer market of shooting guns and explosions, or hamster simulator levels that require no thought to complete.

And just an fyi, using the same skin for a weapon and just changing the name does not make it a 'new weapon'.
#142GunningSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 7:12:21 PM(edited)
m4sturch33f posted...

Keep living in your delusional world of brogaming, bro. The CoD franchise's success is ruining any interest from deviating from the brogamer market of shooting guns and explosions, or hamster simulator levels that require no thought to complete.

And just an fyi, using the same skin for a weapon and just changing the name does not make it a 'new weapon'.

How stupid is it that I am defined as a certain type of gamer simply because I enjoy the CoD franchise? So, I can love Nintendo games, old school schmups, JRPGs as well as WRPGS, platfromers and whatnot, but as long as I dare to like Call of Duty, then all is overriden by the "brogamer" label.

You know what? Screw you, you pompuous elitist ass. I get to enjoy gaming in general, I have more fun than you have because I do not limit myself from enjoying some genres because they are too mainstream for my tastes. I'll get to play the obscure titles just as well as the mainstream ones, and they will all be memorable and fun. I am not a bro, nor a brogamer. I am entitled to my tastes, seeing as they do not harm yours in any way, expect in your pathetic pride.
---
The things of me? Well I am tolding you;
I have turned into very funny, ha ha ha!!
#143PezofpowerPosted 11/14/2012 7:41:50 PM
It's not an issue of what is mainstream or not. The game play from call of duty is popular, companies like making money and so they destroy their franchises to make them more CoD esque.

Why am I not allowed to enjoy a difficult experience because you and the general populous flock to games with these similarities? How is that fair? Even increased difficulties these days are artificially inflated numbers at best. Because EA aquired Bioware, I'm subjected to a helping of CoD elements in my RPGs that are completely out of place and do not belong BECAUSE THEY SELL to people who wouldn't otherwise buy them due to the CoD injection.

Games are getting easier and easier and less deep all the time because of the market structure created by Call of duty, and it is literally ruining the gaming industry. Even from an economic standpoint Call of duty hurts the gaming industry with it's release cycle. You supporting CoD does a lot more than what you give it credit for.
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#144CapwnDPosted 11/14/2012 7:44:00 PM
Suck it, hate mongers.
---
Thrash Zone
#145PezofpowerPosted 11/14/2012 7:48:22 PM
CaPwnD posted...
Suck it, hate mongers.

I lol'd. Troll harder dude, you're entirely transparent now.
---
#146m4sturch33fPosted 11/14/2012 7:54:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#147CapwnDPosted 11/14/2012 7:58:12 PM
A bunch of pissy crybabies complaining because they don't like the big old bad COD. OH noes Halo has something like a kill streak!

You guys are jokes.
---
Thrash Zone
#148GunningSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 8:02:15 PM
Pezofpower posted...
CaPwnD posted...
Suck it, hate mongers.

You as well. You blame everything you dislike about the gaming industry on Call of Duty and make it responcible for everything. If Zelda has motion control, it's CoD's fault, if Mass Effect dropped the clunky controls of the first game, it's CoD's fault, if Rareware has not made a single Killer Instinct since ages, it's CoD's fault.

The so-called hardcore-oriented market of which you mourn the death of has never existed, it has always been a mixed bag of various complexities and types of games. For every great deeply intellectual/thought provoking/massively innovative game that has been released, there always were a load of simplistic games made to entertain instantaneously. One does not prevent the other from existing, they can coexist without all that needless and imbecile hate.
---
#149PezofpowerPosted 11/14/2012 8:05:36 PM
GunningSoul posted...
Pezofpower posted...
CaPwnD posted...
Suck it, hate mongers.

You as well. You blame everything you dislike about the gaming industry on Call of Duty and make it responcible for everything. If Zelda has motion control, it's CoD's fault, if Mass Effect dropped the clunky controls of the first game, it's CoD's fault, if Rareware has not made a single Killer Instinct since ages, it's CoD's fault.

The so-called hardcore-oriented market of which you mourn the death of has never existed, it has always been a mixed bag of various complexities and types of games. For every great deeply intellectual/thought provoking/massively innovative game that has been released, there always were a load of simplistic games made to entertain instantaneously. One does not prevent the other from existing, they can coexist without all that needless and imbecile hate.

Still ruining the industry on an economic level. You forgot to mention how It's not doing that. because weather you agree with me or not that's a point of fact.
---
#150GunningSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 8:16:02 PM(edited)
m4sturch33f posted...

Naw, you are a brogamer for the simple fact you can't see that the success of CoD is ruining the game industry because the template of CoD is what makes money, because baboons like yourself keep telling the game industry to not be unique; and since you continue to pour $60 into the same game every year we will see less and less diversity and complexity in games.

You fail to see this because you're content with your simplistic brogames, and welcome the thought of every title being mindless and/or run & gun with no depth.

There is simply no reasoning with you. I am simply not entitled to like Call of Duty. My ecclectic tastes, which include Call of Duty, makes me a pariah to the entire gaming industry.

I'm through talking with you. You are as blindly stubborn as you are condescending and willingly despicable. You reject and deny my right to an opinion, insulting me at every turn for trying to defend a game franchise that I like and enjoy. You do not even bother to try to argue your point, spouting instead dogmatic claims about the grandiose downfall of the gaming industry as a mean to bellitle the point of view I try to defend.
---