This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The ps3 has sold as much as the 360 when the 360 had a year head start?

#61-Damien-Posted 11/16/2012 7:48:47 AM
Zkk posted...
Ah I'm sorry, I suppose a gamefaqs-troll has far more knowledge of video game sales. If you can find counter-proof, then please do. I have no horse in this race, I'd just like the truth.

providing no information is better than providing false information
#62xSylpheedPosted 11/16/2012 8:01:17 AM(edited)
Zkk posted...
Ah, I made a stupid post. Let me try a better one:

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2012/Global/

This is the first year that PS3 is beating Xbox360 in sales. It's behind my about 90 million copies right now. Still christmas to come too, so we shall see how PS3 fares. It could be that PS3 is finally pulling ahead... exciting times!

You can find conflicting numbers everywhere simply because of how every company does business. The truth is nobody really knows *exactly* how many games are sold, we only get told who has sold the most in what region.

For example, Microsoft refuses to release official software numbers. They release only an attach rate (AND ONLY FOR THE US), and then they rarely give us console sales figures, preferring shipped numbers.

Sony lists software sales in numbers on their corporate website, so we usually have a good idea of how they've sold games. But they also generally choose to use shipped numbers, so it's hard to figure out their real attach rate.

That's why you will find wildly different numbers for them on a lot of websites.

The 360's attach rate is 8.9 from Microsoft's own mouth. With 70 million consoles sold, that does not add up to those vgchartz figures at all. And that's why people don't use vgchartz.

They are either undertracking the PS3 (the PS3 had 595 million games sold in March 2012, and the 360 had 618 million) and not the 360, or the editors are bad at math.
#63KiutsuPosted 11/16/2012 7:49:49 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
triple s posted...
Kiutsu posted...
Anyone who buys a console from day 1 is an idiot. Not only might there be a price drop later or better bundles but hardware problems will also be fixed. Day 1 consoles always had hardware problems.

Yes, because lets have everyone wait on a price drop and that price drop will be because it's own clearance....

I bought the 360 on day one and loved it even though there was a faulty launch. I like moving forward in technology and without the early boomers, a product is going to fail.

True. I don't get how people like Kiutsu don't understand.

Fine you guys are right. But i'll reap from the benefits because those consoles and games aren't going anywhere. Have fun being guinea pigs day 1 buyers.
#64xSylpheedPosted 11/16/2012 8:16:56 AM(edited)
I think I see what is wrong with vgchartz's numbers now. They haven't tracked any of the PS3's sales since March 2012, but they are tracking the 360s. The problem is they're guessing with the 360, because Micrsoft hasn't even released new attach rates yet, but they have released console sales.

Vgchartz is a really awful site.

Even if we're extremely generous to Micrsoft and treat their US attach rate as their worldwide attach rate because they refuse to give us real numbers, which is 9.4 as of their last information release (my number before was from last fiscal year), at 70 million shipped consoles they'd have sold around 650 million games.

For Sony, they have no sales up on their site since March 2012, so we can't know for sure how much they have sold, but they had 595 million then. They release them every two quarters I think, so we'll know by the end of the year. The 360 I imagine will still have a slight lead unless for some reason game sales on the PS3 shoot up.

But again, it is impossible to know because Microsoft refuses to release anything but NPD numbers, whereas Sony releases worldwide numbers. So only Sony's has any chance of being relevant as far as game sales go.
#65ZkkPosted 11/16/2012 8:09:23 AM
All I'm asking is for proof, not some random numbers and statements from gamefaqs-users. I guess it's too much to ask for. Even if vgchartz is wrong, then for all you guys know PS3 might be even more behind Xbox360. If the site is wrong that doesn't mean that PS3 has done better.

But whatever. I don't really care. I'm a pc-man... and pc still wins.
#66failure_turtlePosted 11/16/2012 8:13:21 AM
xSylpheed posted...
"Most people" wouldn't care about Twisted Metal? The most popular series in its genre? Okay. This game had issues, but it has already made profit because they had realistic expectations.

Step 1: List other recent entries into the car combat genre.
Step 2: Laugh.

Twisted Metal was a slap in the face to long time fans of the series. They butchered an amazing franchise in an attempt to appease the CoD multiplayer drones.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
#67xSylpheedPosted 11/16/2012 8:23:11 AM(edited)
Zkk posted...
All I'm asking is for proof, not some random numbers and statements from gamefaqs-users. I guess it's too much to ask for. Even if vgchartz is wrong, then for all you guys know PS3 might be even more behind Xbox360. If the site is wrong that doesn't mean that PS3 has done better.

But whatever. I don't really care. I'm a pc-man... and pc still wins.

What the hell? I listed numbers from their official corporate sites. How is vgchartz more reliable than that? How is that not proof of my numbers?

I just told you what the problem was with Microsoft's numbers: there are no REAL ones. They only list US attach rates, so it is impossible to figure out how many games they have sold worldwide, you can only figure out their US game sales by looking at how many consoles sold in the US and the US attach rate they released. I merely took a generous stab at trying to figure out a ballpark answer.

Sony lists their game sales in millions, so we know for sure that as of March 2012 they sold 595 million. The problem with Sony's right now is that they haven't released anything since then, so we don't really know how they stand.
#68BeastLeeAdamsPosted 11/16/2012 8:29:07 AM
PS3 is still a failure in sales compared to the PS2.

PS2 - 150+million
PS3 - 70 million

While the 360 has doubled and almost tripled the original Xbox sales.

Xbox - 25+ million
Xbox 360 - 70 million

Again who is the real winner?

PS3 contiunes to focus on lots of half ass exclusives where the 360 may get a great exclusive per year, but is extremely polished and score brilliantly.
#69hyjinx17Posted 11/16/2012 8:31:27 AM
Saw this coming, when you have a country with one of the biggest, if not the biggest, gaming populous in the world and they almost unanimously snub one console in favor of another, it's bound to happen. I'd like to see just the US and UK numbers. Though i have both systems so glad they're both doing well
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#70GorillaInTubPosted 11/16/2012 8:33:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]