This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worst Achievements Ever

#31GawdDawgsPosted 11/16/2012 8:57:13 AM
Achievements can be fun and add some length to the game by making you try things you might not normally try. But yeah, a lot of games have ridiculous ones. All three Gears of Wars come to mind. Play 2000 games of multiplayer! really?
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#32TamondaichiPosted 11/16/2012 9:03:29 AM
Non-story related secret achievements.
#33TrueFinale(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:24:41 AM
xMark posted...
TrueFinale posted...
So recently playing an RPG, it had an achievement to complete the game within 15 hours. Now I read to get this achievement one would have to actually skip pretty much all sidequests and avoidable fight encounters. This achievement so pissed me off that in order to get it one had sacrifice enjoying the game at a leisurely pace.

What achievements have you come across that is just stupid and infuriates you just thinking about it?

Was it Nier?

LOL very good guess you're correct, picked up the game after reading many commendations for it on this board. Found the game to better then expected, personally I think the gameplay mechanics are a bit clunky and most of the SQs a chore but everything else is pretty excellent apart from stupid Achievies.
---
If everyone's opinion & values are the same, the human world would be 'perfect' and at peace.
~ I need to return some DVDs
#34KevoCSCSPosted 11/16/2012 11:40:32 AM
I think there is an achievement in Mortal Kombat where you have to play like 32 hours with every character or something stupid like that.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.
#35nothingbeastPosted 11/16/2012 11:47:27 AM
I think there is an achievement in Mortal Kombat where you have to play like 32 hours with every character or something stupid like that.

Yep. Had to play each character for 24 total hours (only counts match time) plus get a ton of fatalities, and other stuff.

My absolute least favorite achievements are ones you get just for playing. "Finish chapter 1" "Finish chapter 2" "Destroy chapter 2's boss".

So boring and no fun at all.

I prefer achievements you have to do extra things to get. Like launching the Garden Gnome in Half Life 2. It wasn't automatic... you had to make the choice to go out of your way to drive that little bastard through hostile territory and hope you didn't lose him on the way.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#36ChezDispenserPosted 11/16/2012 12:01:02 PM
pure mind games posted...
I'm not one to go out of his way to get Trophies or Achievements but when I get them I feel "prouder" when I get a Trophy, probably due to the sound effect that plays when they pop up it's like:

360: "yeah, ok, here"
PS3: "Celebrate good times, come on"

This made me lol.
---
Goddamn!
#37ZosKiaCultusPosted 11/16/2012 12:08:28 PM
I can care less about a number.

How much less? How much do you currently care?
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#38cup_a_soupPosted 11/16/2012 12:11:39 PM
I can agree with most listed so far. I'll add fighting game rank wins in a row achievements. All they seem to do is encourage rage quitting/dashboarding.

As for FFXI... While I have most except for a few. Job lv75(brd, whm, pld, smn), Windurst missions complete, CoP dynamis clear. But the most brutal of all that I'm missing is Lv100 craft skill. I've been playing since ps2 N.A. launch and after all these years my highest craft is smithing 98.

If you actually put a day into it, you could definitely get that to 100.
#39JukainPosted 11/16/2012 12:45:17 PM
TrueFinale posted...
xMark posted...
TrueFinale posted...
So recently playing an RPG, it had an achievement to complete the game within 15 hours. Now I read to get this achievement one would have to actually skip pretty much all sidequests and avoidable fight encounters. This achievement so pissed me off that in order to get it one had sacrifice enjoying the game at a leisurely pace.

What achievements have you come across that is just stupid and infuriates you just thinking about it?

Was it Nier?

LOL very good guess you're correct, picked up the game after reading many commendations for it on this board. Found the game to better then expected, personally I think the gameplay mechanics are a bit clunky and most of the SQs a chore but everything else is pretty excellent apart from stupid Achievies.

I was thinking either NiER or Tales of Vesperia, and just for the record I got Lightspeed Fighter in NiER (the one being discussed) my first playthrough and no cutscenes were skipped. I didn't do any fetch quests, farming, or weapon leveling, but I surely enjoyed the game/story/music/everything. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it sound. All that other stuff was for later playthroughs when I was maxing stuff out and getting weapons for extra endings.

The only achievement to have touched me in a naughty place was Lost Odyssey's infamous 'Treasure Trove'. Seriously. Worst achievement ever. Because after a literal year of retracing my steps, I had missed a Groundus Bomb. A GROUNDUS BOMB! You know, that consumable item that you can buy in Numara in infinite quanitity? If the achievement was simply 'collect one of every unique/missable item', it wouldn't be a problem. But that you have to actually collect every single nook, cranny, hole in the ground, speck of dust, subatomic particle's worth of treasure is just silly.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#40KingKilvasPosted 11/16/2012 3:30:58 PM
Multiplayer achievements should be banned, they are usually luck based or dependent on the game's current group. If the multiplayer is dead, there go the achievement opportunities. If you don't have Xbox Live Gold, you're screwed. Reward people for the single player.
---
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!