This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you NOT like about Spike's Video Game Awards?

#21JKSonicPosted 11/19/2012 7:07:14 PM
Back on subject... when I've seen them before they try WAY too hard to be mainstream and appeal to everybody. Then, in doing that it ends up being embarrassing to everybody. Gamers don't like it because they focus on stupid jokes and celebrities that gamers usually don't care about. Mainstream doesn't like it because it's still too geeky/nerdy for most people and a lot of it flies over their heads. Nobody wins.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#22rofflchopperPosted 11/19/2012 7:17:23 PM
The fact that they pay famous people show up and have some pretty terrible performers. The celebrities who present the awards just end up sounding awkward while they're reading off the teleprompter.

Back on subject... when I've seen them before they try WAY too hard to be mainstream and appeal to everybody. Then, in doing that it ends up being embarrassing to everybody. Gamers don't like it because they focus on stupid jokes and celebrities that gamers usually don't care about. Mainstream doesn't like it because it's still too geeky/nerdy for most people and a lot of it flies over their heads. Nobody wins.

This completely... It seems like they're trying too hard to add pop culture to the shows over the past few years. IIRC before it was an award show where the crowd was made up of gamers/developers/publishers/etc..... Now it seems like they constantly are panning the camera to some celebrity during the show.

There's nothing wrong with adding some of that stuff, but it seems like there is more and more each year. If it wasn't for announcements I don't think a lot of people would watch it. The award part has been a joke for a while.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#23Gatekeeper999Posted 11/19/2012 7:45:56 PM
I wish they had a serious award show. And give awards to people that deserve it.
If Cod is the best shooter this year, then it deserves it. But, that show is all advertising and promoting crap with washed up so called famous people.

Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences
#24MR_SorenPosted 11/19/2012 7:49:26 PM
What do I not like?

Deadmaus flashing illuminati hand symbols during last year's show.
The feeling that the whole thing is just a giant commercial.
Awards for less popular genres being given out during commercial breaks.
Genres that have absolutely no representation.
Good games that are completely ignored.
Little to no explanation for why each winner was picked over the other nominees.
Stuffing the show full of celebrities and treating gaming like it's a trend.

The overall vibe is a very shallow way of looking at games that focuses on big action sequences and explosions rather than innovative game design.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#25IWUPosted 11/19/2012 7:51:50 PM
Gatekeeper999 posted...
I wish they had a serious award show. And give awards to people that deserve it.
If Cod is the best shooter this year, then it deserves it. But, that show is all advertising and promoting crap with washed up so called famous people.

Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences

This.

Also, for the record Arena was trash.

That is all.
---
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
#26jessica73Posted 11/19/2012 9:26:26 PM
bulls*** noms, bulls*** winners
felt that way ever since HCTP beat Soul Calibur 2 for best fighter at the first show
now HCTP is awesome, but WWE was all over the awards show, had a diva's match and other crap. Yeah, legit >_>

only good thing is the trailers
---
http://i.imgur.com/TqLlP.jpg
#27BlazingxPaddlesPosted 11/19/2012 9:33:31 PM
oasisbeyond posted...
Really? Name me 5 movies he's been in lately?

How about The Avengers? I can't name ANY reputable actor that's been in 5+ movies lately. Unless you're one of those odd fellows who considers Nic Cage reputable.
#28faris_ruhiPosted 11/19/2012 10:23:28 PM(edited)
The actual awards, and usually the presentation/hosts.

I do like however, that we get a bunch of reveals and new media for games that we didn't know about (or only knew a bit about) though.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Backlog on hold. Currently playing: Halo 4
#29Perfect LightPosted 11/19/2012 10:20:33 PM
Because it seems like one big trailer and they have awards on the side.
---
Visit youtube.com/sciencebytes, learn something new
My novel - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095KJ6YC
#30josh924Posted 11/20/2012 1:05:18 AM
BlazingxPaddles posted...
oasisbeyond posted...
Really? Name me 5 movies he's been in lately?

How about The Avengers? I can't name ANY reputable actor that's been in 5+ movies lately.

Really? I'm pretty sure Joseph Gordon Levitt has been in at least 10 in the past 2 years alone.
---
When the trolls say "jump", the mods ask "how high?".