This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways to improve the video game industry.

#1mtjormitchPosted 11/19/2012 6:36:43 PM
By fix, I mean by improving... in case WInternova comes in here and blows a load or something.

Here is a step by step list of what video game makers need to start doing.

1. Start telling publishers that if they try and create a CoD clone. It is going to fail and you are going to have all of them fired due to making a clone of a game.

Sorry, but that is a fact. Any publisher that adds on multiplayer just because CoD does, you are in essence. Adding a tumor to a perfectly healthy person. That is the most truthful analogy there is about multiplayer mode in games these days. Stop it and not only will you save money, and keep review scores high. You also gain the respect of people who are sick of hearing kids cuss at them while trying to play a video game.

2. Hire writers/realize story is important or just go away.

There is a reason why people are NOT liking the newest Paper Mario. There isn't a story in it like any of the others. I know... Mario+story=wut. But the Paper series does in fact have some great stories in them. Mainly 2 and Super Paper Mario. 2 had a interesting story, SPM honestly had an amazing story to it. It was one of the few mario games where it didn't feel like I wasted money on a addiction like all the other games in the series.

Yes, I said it. Gameplay only games are practically addictions and are forced to be addicting to be played. Just look at Tetris. People get addicted to it and nothing else. People who insult video games and them telling stories are most likely the same people raised up on Tetris instead of FF or MGS. Which are far more interesting and honestly better video games than any no story video game Miyamoto has made in years.

Also, the fact is that story matters now. Just look at Mass Effect 3 and the fan reaction of the ending... there is a damn good reason why writing is important... I am pretty sure the now retired CEO's of Bioware know it too... don't **** with writing and don't screw up. Otherwise you have just wasted every single persons money and time, angry peoples time and money. Also... why should I bother playing?

3. CoDifying your game does nothing but anger people and also makes your games worse. Just look at what happened to Ace Combat! We just wanted another 5! But instead we got an on the rails shooting plane simulator which isn't good in the slightest due to the stupifying.

Now we may never see another Ace Combat again due to the companies stupidity about their own franchise. Which leads me too.

4. Stop messing up your franchises. I played Assassins Creed 3... it is worse than 2... why? Just... Why? The ending is also very, VERY rushed... I mean... wow.

Let this clue you in... don't buy a game series unless you are garenteed two things. 1, it is singleplayer only. 2, A promised end point.

Don't buy games without these two promises. Otherwise why waste your money?

5. Publishers... there is a reason why people support Atlus, Valve, Xseed, and others like them. They treat their employees are human beings and continue to get great games out there. It is like you others are trying to piss us off... no wonder all of your stocks are falling!

6. If your marketing costs are more than the damn game costs... There is something very freaking wrong. You are bleeding money and you have a team that knows not on what the hell they are doing. EA... I am looking at you and the 300 million for KotoR... Seriously...

7. Online passes... they are made only to piss people off and rip people off... if they want more money... then why aren't little companies like Atlus using them instead of big companies which are doing nothing but constantly do this? Tell me... why?

Those are just some of them... there are more but that is good enough for now without going into the graphics and stuff.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2JamanjaxPosted 11/19/2012 6:42:22 PM
Shut the **** up.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#3SunDevil77Posted 11/19/2012 6:47:27 PM
So, today, I tried a new type of spicy mustard. Imported from Ireland, it is delicious. Got some horseradish in it, which I was hesitant about, but it really makes it different.
---
Have you ever had a turkeyburger? Is that a fried turkey leg wrapped inside a burger? Because if so, then yes. Delicious.
#4EternalWolfPosted 11/19/2012 6:52:49 PM
Start making games, stop making movies, gives us music.

There have been so few memorable moments in games this gen, its pathetic.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#5TheBlueStigPosted 11/19/2012 6:55:02 PM
Here's a few you forgot...

Remove the bankers and lawyers from the decision making process when it comes to release dates, game features, and which system the game goes on.

Fix the game breaking bugs before release day, and if any are found, patch the damn things.

Stop day one DLC, wait no less than 3 weeks to a month to release DLC for the game.

Add fully customizable controls to all games, the days of lazy forced control configs that are completely half assed need to end.
#6mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 6:56:22 PM
First post made by someone was ignored... let me guess... Dragoneer Zero...

Also a few more points.

1. Ban Metacritic. Look at Obsidian and what happened with Fallout New Vegas... one point away from getting bonus's they are in dire need of... THEY WERE GOING TO BE PAID BY A POINT IN REVIEWS WHICH THEN DIDN'T HAPPEN DUE TO THE PUBLISHER NOT BUG TESTING THE GAME AND MADE THE GAME GET A LOWER SCORE!!!

Sorry for caps... but the amount of bullcrap was insane.

2. Gaming sites and scores and reviewers need their heads checked and also shouldn't be allowed to even have a single ad on their site to sway their scores like most others.

The Last Story, a game which is a lot like Dragon Age 2, but massively awesome and massively good, gets a 6/10 from Game informer while DA2 gets a 8.25 from Game Informer... even though we all know how that game went.

3. The general anti Japanese views need to end in the journalism area. Yes, really, Look at The Last Story, it was a great game and honestly a lot more like a WRPG than even DA2 was... instead it got low scores from many sources due to being Japanese... I mean... really? Just... really? Heck, many JRPG's this gen were shafted of their scores DUE to bias against Japanese video games more than lower quality.

4. Grey and Gritty does not mean good. Just a fact that Graphics should never make a game. Look at Rage. That game was bad, just plain bad. I feel insulted by how bad it is. While games like GTA4 which is ugly as sin but pretty in some strange way, which has gameplay so horribly done compared to even the old top down games that it should have gotten a 7/10's all the while the story was great and did earn top scores... the gameplay being honered for being so crappy... really... just really...

The scores for that game were much like how a man would rate the hot looking blonde woman, instead of looking for a relationship they just go strait at her for a night with all hype and love it. Afterwards they realize it was a mistake because of how shallow she was and how dumb she was too... it is literally the same thing as GTA4 was. Critics are now hating on GTA4 and fans of older games hate it as well with only a very small minority even liking the game. Which leads me to.

5. A video game developer should make a dinosaur hunting video game... this one is personal... I want one and I know other people want one too... we deserve one.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#7mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 6:57:51 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Here's a few you forgot...

Remove the bankers and lawyers from the decision making process when it comes to release dates, game features, and which system the game goes on.

Fix the game breaking bugs before release day, and if any are found, patch the damn things.

Stop day one DLC, wait no less than 3 weeks to a month to release DLC for the game.

Add fully customizable controls to all games, the days of lazy forced control configs that are completely half assed need to end.

Oh, and these ones too... thank you. I couldn't add these due to post limitations. But I agree... however, I will defend New Vegas's patches because they did add stuff while fixing things.
---
#8SunDevil77Posted 11/19/2012 6:59:58 PM
Assassin's Creed 3 was just as good as 2, by the way.
---
Have you ever had a turkeyburger? Is that a fried turkey leg wrapped inside a burger? Because if so, then yes. Delicious.
#9JamanjaxPosted 11/19/2012 7:00:53 PM
Haha, he has me on ignore. That's cute.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#10mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:04:34 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Assassin's Creed 3 was just as good as 2, by the way.

Not really, Here is the thing with 3 compared to 2. Money isn't fun to actually get anymore and you can't spend it on much anymore. The games felt lifeless other than the homestead missions and the characters other than a few of them felt rushed and made to be in there for a few seconds just so Conner could Forest Gump his way through the game. The ending was rushed, there are no other words to describe that one. AC3 is just rushed overall.

However, I do like Conner as a character and many of the Modern day stuff was actually cool this time around. So not a complete loss. As a Native American I love how Conner wasn't just a Stereotype and that they even used Mohawk Language.. I will give a high five for whoever did that.
---