This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

games stored waiting to play, penalised for it

#1chrcolPosted 11/20/2012 10:35:47 AM
Ok I have about 10 games I own not yet played due to lack of time, and replaying older games as well before playing new ones.

Today I install dragon age 2.

Dragon age origins I believe has 3-4 items or so I can not ever get due to exclusivity crap.

Dragon age 2 I have discovered not only is there no ultimate edition but also there is 37 items I have found that are time limited exclusive. Some of them look very pwerful game changers as is always the case with RPG DLC items.

Everyone here is already aware of pre order exclusives, but this isnt just limited to that.

On dragon age 2 as an example I could buy all the DLC's now of xbox live they still available, there is no warning they have expired. Yet many unlockable items will now no longer unlock, bioware stuck a timebomb on them which expired 1 nov 2012. I see no reason they would do it other than just contempt for people who dont buy and play the game early. As coincidence they closed their support forums and the EA support forum is broken, I have no way of contacting EA to ask if I can get the content if I buy the DLC.

Too much of games now is linked to online servers and too much of games are locked on purchase. Some of the silly things to unlock stuff in this game like register on facebook, buy merchandise, sign up to newsletters. and yes all the free stuff is now expired the newsletters and facebook also expired although funny enough the 50usd merchandise is not expired.

What happened to supporting your games for many years after release? and treating all buyers equal?
#2Mutant1988Posted 11/20/2012 10:50:41 AM
chrcol posted...

Too much of games now is linked to online servers and too much of games are locked on purchase. Some of the silly things to unlock stuff in this game like register on facebook, buy merchandise, sign up to newsletters. and yes all the free stuff is now expired the newsletters and facebook also expired although funny enough the 50usd merchandise is not expired.

That's a nice summary of my main issues with the gaming industry these days. The push for digital content combined with the finite availability of content delivery and verification servers. Digital content coupled with DRM systems do put an expiration date on your purchases.

I don't like the idea of losing part of my games because the company that made it decided to shut down the server it's required to access to verify my ownership of the content (Even if I still have the disc, I can't pop it into a different system and use what I paid for).

Or to even use it in the first place. Having online multiplayer without also including a LAN function is just cruel, especially for games which they do sell multiplayer exclusive DLC (Multiplayer servers gone? Yeah, never playing that again).

As is tying essential items to external services (Like Facebook games and Uplay - Especially Uplay), which is just a nuisance to use in the first place.

And worst of all, these damn disc locked content... On the disc I own but I need to pay more to access it. The epitome laziness and greed. If you want to sell it, then at least have the courtesy to host it yourself.

You can tell I have a lot of gripes with the current games industry. ;P
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#3foodeater4Posted 11/20/2012 10:52:06 AM
Well, overall its nothing you need. If you bought the game new, back when it came out and never played it, I'd say thats just a waste cause you paid $60 for nothing when you can buy it for $20 or less now when your actually going to play it.

Going forward you could always spend a bit of time and input your codes when you get the games so the stuff is there when needed.
#4TheBlueStigPosted 11/20/2012 11:40:18 AM
foodeater4 posted...
Going forward you could always spend a bit of time and input your codes when you get the games so the stuff is there when needed.

This.

At least download the items once, get them in your DL History, that way you can go back later and get them again.
#5SunDevil77Posted 11/20/2012 11:41:25 AM
Your first mistake is playing Dragon Age 2
---
Kansas is full of good men, I don't want to be a good man. I want to be a great one.
#6WinternovaPosted 11/20/2012 11:45:43 AM
I keep hoping DA2 DLC will go on sale...I want to replay that game, but I'm waiting for the DLC to drop in price.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#7NixemoPosted 11/20/2012 11:47:18 AM
Why was DA2 so hated? I heard good things about the first, and the Ultimate Edition is only $15. Are they both bad?
---
Visit my gaming site: www.thegameasylum.com
AC: City Folk - Name: Alex - City: Viridian - Friend Code: 0173-8160-2616
#8dannyaqPosted 11/20/2012 11:49:23 AM
chrcol posted...
Ok I have about 10 games I own not yet played due to lack of time, and replaying older games as well before playing new ones.

Today I install dragon age 2.

Dragon age origins I believe has 3-4 items or so I can not ever get due to exclusivity crap.

Dragon age 2 I have discovered not only is there no ultimate edition but also there is 37 items I have found that are time limited exclusive. Some of them look very pwerful game changers as is always the case with RPG DLC items.

Everyone here is already aware of pre order exclusives, but this isnt just limited to that.

On dragon age 2 as an example I could buy all the DLC's now of xbox live they still available, there is no warning they have expired. Yet many unlockable items will now no longer unlock, bioware stuck a timebomb on them which expired 1 nov 2012. I see no reason they would do it other than just contempt for people who dont buy and play the game early. As coincidence they closed their support forums and the EA support forum is broken, I have no way of contacting EA to ask if I can get the content if I buy the DLC.

What happened to supporting your games for many years after release? and treating all buyers equal?

actually most games were never supported years after release. either through customer support and certainly not through online. to what exactly are you referring to? and treating all buying equal? again, to what are you refering exactly? companies have always treated customers who pay more, more nicely. can you name a time when they have not? i'm not aware of this time.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#9Arucard05Posted 11/20/2012 11:55:11 AM
Your first mistake is playing Dragon Age 2

---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#10_CyberpunkPosted 11/20/2012 12:15:27 PM
actually most games were never supported years after release. either through customer support and certainly not through online. to what exactly are you referring to? and treating all buying equal? again, to what are you refering exactly? companies have always treated customers who pay more, more nicely. can you name a time when they have not? i'm not aware of this time.

This. TC is completely naive.
---
http://h-2.abload.de/img/stretchy5bei.gif
http://h-3.abload.de/img/stretchypants-flyntflonh55.gif