This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get the craze about the Walking Dead game, someone explain it to me

#31Hedorian(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 6:20:25 PM
Halochief6 posted...
People like the game because it is a good game. It's that simple. It's not for everyone of course, but this bias you speak of is nonexistent.

I love the show, but i haven't read the comic yet. So i don't qualify as one of the people you think is without bias and I like the game so I can't be one of the people you want to hear bad things about it from. Despite all that I'm giving you my opinion anyway.

I don't like the game because it's called "The Walking Dead". I like it because of the story and the characters, the atmosphere and the intensity. Did it garner an interest from me because I like the show or want to read the comics? Yes. When i heard about i got an interest in it. Then I saw a gameplay trailer for it and I wanted nothing to do with it. When it released I figured I'd still give it a go and was prepared for the worst. When i played I couldn't put it down. There is no bias in there at all.

Also the fact that you said all you've done was look at screenshots and read what people say on this forum is stupid. Look at some gameplay or go play the free trial of the first episode and form your own opinion. And I have to ask TC, why does your OP ask for someone to explain to you the craze about it, but then later you want to hear negative opinions because they promote less bias? I also just want to point out, haters can have as much bias as fanboys.

It just meant I wanted to hear from people that didn't like the game is all. I honestly thought the game was so popular because the show and comic books are as well.
---
Gamefaqs: Where gamers are hostile towards each other
Currently playing: Psi Ops (PS2), Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
#32shinobisBACKPosted 11/21/2012 6:22:03 PM
cant wait to try the game finally! comic is awesome, the show is very so-so. it had a good start 3 episodes, but has been plummeting downhill since then. season 2 i was bored to tears, still wish i skipped it and waited for season 3, although so far its not much better.

really hoping i dig the game when i finally get the disc, love the comic and it'll suck to see another let down version/spin off.
#33Halochief6Posted 11/21/2012 6:26:54 PM
shinobisBACK posted...
really hoping i dig the game when i finally get the disc, love the comic and it'll suck to see another let down version/spin off.

Do you not have Xbox LIVE? There is a trial for the first episode.
---
"Awesome. Can I play steam games on my 360? I assume I can since you posted that on the Xbox 360 board in a topic about XBL deals." - Vivi0198
#34Red-SparrowPosted 11/21/2012 6:36:21 PM
I love The Walking Dead comics and the show but the game...I just don't see the point in playing it. Adventure games used to have more to do in them and nowadays you spend 90% of the game just in conversation. In this game, you have maybe one or two major choices per episode and the other choices don't really make a difference at all.

Example from episode 1: There's a woman that asks you to give her a gun because she's infected. If you give it to her, she shoots herself. If you don't, the balcony collapses and everyone falls. She picks up the gun and shoots herself.

I watched the game on youtube because it's pretty much an interactive movie anyway.
#35Hedorian(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 6:56:59 PM
Red-Sparrow posted...
I love The Walking Dead comics and the show but the game...I just don't see the point in playing it. Adventure games used to have more to do in them and nowadays you spend 90% of the game just in conversation. In this game, you have maybe one or two major choices per episode and the other choices don't really make a difference at all.

Example from episode 1: There's a woman that asks you to give her a gun because she's infected. If you give it to her, she shoots herself. If you don't, the balcony collapses and everyone falls. She picks up the gun and shoots herself.

I watched the game on youtube because it's pretty much an interactive movie anyway.

Interesting. Thank you for your opinion.
---
Gamefaqs: Where gamers are hostile towards each other
Currently playing: Psi Ops (PS2), Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
#36FirelanderXPosted 11/21/2012 7:04:53 PM
Red-Sparrow posted...

Lee brings up the event during the end of episode 5
---
Gamertag: FirelanderX
#37shawnmckPosted 11/21/2012 7:23:14 PM
I just wanted to be a little up front about the choices that you make throughout the Walking Dead game...
Some of them do not affect the outcome in the slightest, as no matter what you do it has the same outcome. It may determine whether a character likes you or distrusts you, but that is mostly cosmetic.
And then there are the scenes that do affect the story and do alter the outcome...for example, there are sometimes decision to help one person or the other...which sometimes determines which one lives & which one dies.
Then from their you get a slight variant of something different later on depending on which character you chose.
So sometimes the options have an impact on the story & sometimes they don't.
But even if it doesn't, the simple fact that the game allows you to choose feels refreshing.

For all intents & purposes, the game feels very much like an interactive movie...albeit with varying amounts of control...
Sometimes you just click at an area & you investigate...but sometimes you control where you shoot a gun, or who you attack, and so on.
The game-play itself is very limited, but it doesn't really feel it because what it lacks in freedom of control it makes up for with freedom of events & outcomes.
Its kinda hard to explain.

I also wanted to comment that the game is much more akin to the comic than the tv series....although the tv series tends to borrow elements of the comics.

But the game is more laid back because the control is limited, but you are still invested in the game overall because the plot & story sequences are just so engrossing.
It really is a dichotomy of gameplay, because whereas most games have plenty of gameplay & little story...the Walking Dead game does the opposite and emphasizes story over game-play.

If you want an engrossing story then you have to experience it....although you could simply just go to youtube & watch every episode as played by someone else.
The situations might change a little as some of the scenes change a little depending on choices, but you will still get the overall plot & moral of the story.
And when people say that the story is really good, they are not joking...it is without a doubt one of the best & most engrossing stories I've yet encountered in a video-game...it is that good.
#38Gwildor123Posted 11/21/2012 8:06:30 PM
Actually I'm just a kid and I don't know anything about the Goonies. I just know there is an Asian kid that create stuff like Inspector Gadget.
#39ValedictorianXDPosted 11/21/2012 8:24:45 PM
It's a decent game but anybody who says "you are choosing your own adventure" is talking out his ass. Your choices don't really matter that much. Having said that, it's still fun and worth the buy.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[ |||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#40SparkItUpPosted 11/21/2012 10:26:19 PM
Hedorian posted...
The show is decent. I like Season 1, Season 2 was pretty boring. The latest one is pretty good so far but still nothing that great imo. Everyone on here is saying TWD is the best game they've ever played but everything I've seen about it seems meh. What's so great about this game that everyone hypes it up on this forum? Or is it just one of the gamefaqs things, there are quite a few games this board hypes up that aren't that great for example. Deadly Premonition comes to mind, Tales of Vesperia is another. Probably more but those two are recent examples.

I agree TC...I am merely buying the collector's edition of it because I am a fan of the show. I played the demo and was quickly bored...That being said, I really don't get into the XBLA like some do around here...It's really just not for me. I would rather have seen a highly budgeted title of TWD to have gone into production with the same idea, only have it much much much more polished as far as the gameplay.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwfgXD8qV8