This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Turtle Beach headsets

#1BattleAxeRXPosted 11/23/2012 8:05:03 PM
Hey, my cousin's wife is asking me about this and I don't have the answer and I'm hoping someone can just lay it out real quick for me.

Turtle Beach Wireless Headset - Does the headset not even connect to the controller?
She wants to keep the gift down around $100 and from the looks of it, that's only enough for the stereo version... Is it still worth it? I have stereo headphones for music that I also use for COD (I know i know) but I am not sure about the quality of TB...

And they are pretty damn comfy, right?

Thank you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS (I couldn't wait till december)
---
"You lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg. You ALL still have Zoidberg!!!" - FUTURAMA
#2ObtikPosted 11/23/2012 8:08:38 PM
They're comfy, they'll plug into the controller for sure. Get the dx12 for $120 and surround
---
XBL GT: l Mentu l
#3BattleAxeRX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 8:59:26 AM
So, the wired headset, DX12, plugs into the controller as well as an adapter by the xbox, right?

We're hoping to go wireless... but thanks for the tip, dx12 might work out... maybe not.

***Would the wireless systems have to be plugged into the controller too?
---
"You lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg. You ALL still have Zoidberg!!!" - FUTURAMA
#4leftwich7Posted 11/24/2012 9:07:45 AM
X32's are wireless but are Stereo sound. You'll have to pay more for the Surround Sound versions. The sound is still amazing with the X32's.

Only wires you will deal with is the one going from your headset to the controller if you want to chat on xbox live. Other than that. It plugs up via usb to your Xbox using a transmitter that you can sit next to the Xbox itself. X32's are probably $100. Haven't checked the price as I got mine a while ago. You will have to use AAA batteries for them though.
---
"If you know the enemy better than you know yourself, the outcome of the battle has already been decided." - Sun Tzu
#5JKSonicPosted 11/24/2012 9:10:35 AM
The actual setup is pretty confusing, even more so with the decoder.

Personally I wouldn't even get the surround ones unless they state that they're TRUE 5.1 or TRUE 7.1. Many (actually, most out nowadays) are simulated surround and it barely sounds better than a good stereo set (like the dx12's without the decoder, just the x12's).

But basically if you go surround the decoder plugs into the USB port on your xbox then you run an optical wire from the xbox to the decoder as well. From there you go to the amplifier controls and from that you go to the headset and then also another wire to the controller if you want to chat.

Non-surround eliminates the decoder but also the optical wire. So if your TV doesn't have the normal red/white audio out puts then you need to get the HDMI/Audio adapter for the 360 (if you have an old model 360 you might already have one). Same deal though, just now the amplifier plugs into the USB and the two cords go from that...to the headset and controller.

And I'm pretty sure wireless still has a wire running from the headset to the controller, but I could be wrong.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#6Moon_StruckPosted 11/24/2012 9:30:57 AM
i have yet to see a headset that doesn't require to be plugged into the controller with one exception.

I bought a set of Turtle Beach X42s ($160) that were weireless, but still had to have a controller plugin. I hated them. I returned them and bought a pair of Tritton Warheads ($300) and absolutely love them. 100% wireless (save for power supply and optical cable from XBox to the receptor box. Very comfortable, great features, plus it comes with TWO rechargable batteries. Keep a charged one in the headset to use, and the other actually goes into a hidden slot in the receiver box to charge. It's a great item, plus it's fully wireless and 7.1 surround sound.
---
GamerTag: Crexlarth
Add me for TWPGA13, CoD BO2, or RDR.
#7BattleAxeRX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 9:33:53 AM(edited)
Does the xbox360 S style have the correct AV cable with the optical outlet?
EDIT: Mine does. =P oops
---
#8JKSonicPosted 11/24/2012 10:01:31 AM
BattleAxeRX posted...
Does the xbox360 S style have the correct AV cable with the optical outlet?
EDIT: Mine does. =P oops

Yeah for surround it has the correct outputs, but for stereo it does NOT...you'll either need a TV with the red/white outputs or an adapter.

Like I said though I would seriously suggest not buying the simulated surround though. I can tell when something is behind me really just as good with my stereo ones. This is coming from somebody who normally uses a decent 5.1 setup too...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#9BattleAxeRX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 10:11:10 AM
So, ok, the X42's don't have bluetooth, so they have a talkback cable (To go to the controller, right?)
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-headsets/ear-force-x42/59

The XP400's have Bluetooth + a bluetooth adapter for wireless chat, and NO talkback cable. (You could have gone with these, right Moon_Struck?)
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-headsets/ear-force-xp400/7

The Earforce X-Ray's HAVE bluetooth AND a talkback cable... WTF? The bluetooth in this case is probably just for taking calls with the headset on?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/call-of-duty-headsets/ear-force-x-ray/67

So it looks like if my cousin's wife was to just sploog on a nice ass headset, she would pass on the x42's and get the xp400's....
And JKSonic, I didn't see anything about TRUE 5.1 or 7.1. I assume that if a headset has a feature that lets you "Alter the positioning of the surround sound angles to customize your audio experience," or has "Customizable surround sound angles" then the headset is true... But it is weird that it doesn't say how many drivers are in each side of the headset.

THANKS EVERYONE!
---