This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Xbox Legacy: Mission Accomplished or Still Pending?

#1NintendologicalPosted 11/26/2012 6:42:13 PM
Twelve years ago, Microsoft shocked the tech industry and gamers alike when Bill Gates announced Microsoft's entrance into the video game market. A part of that entrance was the not so well remembered tech demo, "Raven" (Two to Tango).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FGeqomYUyU

At the time, Microsoft had two goals on mind when it came to enterimg the video game market.

1) Prevent Sony (and the Japanese in general) from dominating the console market and siphoning sales away from the PC market.

2) Create a device that becomes the focus of the living room. In other words, create a multimedia device to serve as a set-top box of sorts.

Though the original Xbox failed to gain any real market traction (24 million sold compared to Sony's 154 million sold), Microsoft did manage to displace Nintendo, who was previously the holder of the second place market position. More importantly, Microsoft managed to build brand credibility and strong developer relations that allowed Microsoft to dominate the next generation with their Xbox 360 platform.

Despite losing their leading position in terms of raw sales, Microsoft has regained the position of having the best monthly sales of any console (for nearly three years now) and the Xbox 360 sells more third party software than any competing platform. With Sony forced to third in the market, and Nintendo leading hardware sales but lacking in software sales, Microsoft occupies a comfortable position for a second place contender.

On the multimedia front, Microsoft has spent the past two years refocusing their efforts on the Kinect and new non-gaming initiatives for Xbox Live, the premier online gaming infrastructure for consoles. Though Xbox Live is unmatched for gaming and Xbox Live Arcade thrives on an abundance of gaming content, it remains to be seen if Microsoft's other entertainment ventures will succeed.

The question then, Xbox 360 board users, is do you feel that Microsoft has been successful with its original mission? Has the Xbox done all that Microsoft has come to do in this industry? And if not, do you believe that the next Xbox will finish what the first two platforms started?
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2YamaguxhiPosted 11/26/2012 7:20:25 PM
" Has the Xbox done all that Microsoft has come to do in this industry?" Not yet but I believe it has taken great steps and the next generation will do even better. Things like netflix and hulu will be better. I don't like kinect for video games but it certainly has it's uses for navigating menus. That should be were the focus is IMO. It's fine to have games that use kinect but it shouldn't be the selling point. Especially if the nextbox comes with kinect built into the machine like many reports suggest.

Just my thoughts but on the whole, yes it has begun to do what it set out to do.
---
No more Tom foolerey
#3Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 7:25:40 PM
Yamaguxhi posted...
" Has the Xbox done all that Microsoft has come to do in this industry?" Not yet but I believe it has taken great steps and the next generation will do even better. Things like netflix and hulu will be better. I don't like kinect for video games but it certainly has it's uses for navigating menus. That should be were the focus is IMO. It's fine to have games that use kinect but it shouldn't be the selling point. Especially if the nextbox comes with kinect built into the machine like many reports suggest.

Just my thoughts but on the whole, yes it has begun to do what it set out to do.

Now that is an interesting perspective. So you are fine with the Kinect being a navigational/interface peripheral rather than being a game-centric platform? What if Kinect were to be integrated into the next Xbox? Also, if Microsoft continues to focus on nom-gaming content like Netflix and Hulu, don't you worry that it will affect the first goal of eating the Japanese in the gaming market? Microsoft already faces unexpected competition in the PC space from phones and tablets. Now that consoles have web browsers and apps, wouldn't it be wise to reach more gamers to keep other consoles from gaining popularity?
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#4Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 9:20:25 AM
Any other thoughts?
---
#5iceman505Posted 11/27/2012 10:11:51 AM
Mission Accomplished from where I'm standing. Sony is a ghost of it's former self, and has one foot in the grave. Barring a miracle turn around, it likely will not exist in a few years. In NA at least, 360 has become the living room's media hub, as Gates envisioned 12 years ago.
#6Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 3:13:43 PM
iceman505 posted...
Mission Accomplished from where I'm standing. Sony is a ghost of it's former self, and has one foot in the grave. Barring a miracle turn around, it likely will not exist in a few years. In NA at least, 360 has become the living room's media hub, as Gates envisioned 12 years ago.

That's a bold statement; Sony not existing. I can easily see the, bowing out given their recent stock status downgrade. But outright closure? That would be a huge upset. To that end, it certainly would be mission accomplished. That would only leave Nintendo. Curiously enough, Microsoft wanted to crush Sony, but they wanted to buy Nintendo. I wonder how that stance would change if Sony were out of the picture.
---
#7Arucard05Posted 11/27/2012 3:21:31 PM
They've far from dominated the console market but they certainly have carved out a sizable slice of the pie and indeed Sony is not dominating either. And their plans to turn the brand into a central media hub has made large strides in recent years. They're doing what they set out to do, for the most part. They've largely alienated me with their current focus but that certainly hasn't slowed them down.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#8Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 3:48:36 PM
Arucard05 posted...
They've far from dominated the console market but they certainly have carved out a sizable slice of the pie and indeed Sony is not dominating either. And their plans to turn the brand into a central media hub has made large strides in recent years. They're doing what they set out to do, for the most part. They've largely alienated me with their current focus but that certainly hasn't slowed them down.

Xbox 360 may not lead total units sold but they lead revenue, third party content and highest selling third party content. Games usually sell the best on the Xbox 360. Meanwhile, Nintendo has the largest install base, the fewest games and the least support. Sony has remained more competitive than expected given their spectacular descent to the bottom, but even their gaming division (like the whole company) is ailing. Microsoft is the only one of the bog three leading refenue and reporting profit. I suppose the definition of domination must change accordingly since Nintendo has now proven that selling the most hardware means less than it used to.
---
#9Arucard05Posted 11/27/2012 4:04:08 PM
The Wii was a money printing machine for years and years. It's only been recently that it's slowed down. It may not have had the most games I like to play, but the Wii sold a **** load of games. It is undeniably the "winner" of this generation. And given the year head start the 360 had, the fact that the PS3 is essentially tied in units sold is impressive (and given the RROD problem was so rampant, I'd wager there's actually more active PS3's out there) , though it's inarguable that it sells less software.

All in all, there's no real "loser" this gen. Sony has made some boneheaded decisions this gen, and it has hurt them, but it's clear there is still support for the Playstation brand.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#10Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 4:30:07 PM
Arucard05 posted...
The Wii was a money printing machine for years and years. It's only been recently that it's slowed down. It may not have had the most games I like to play, but the Wii sold a **** load of games. It is undeniably the "winner" of this generation. And given the year head start the 360 had, the fact that the PS3 is essentially tied in units sold is impressive (and given the RROD problem was so rampant, I'd wager there's actually more active PS3's out there) , though it's inarguable that it sells less software.

All in all, there's no real "loser" this gen. Sony has made some boneheaded decisions this gen, and it has hurt them, but it's clear there is still support for the Playstation brand.

That is a fair assessment. Except the idea of the Wii selling a lot of games. Wii sold a lot of Nintendo games (expected) three Ubisoft franchises (Red Steel, Just Dance and Rabbids) and ome SEGA franchise (Sonic & Mario, of course, it had Mario) . Other developers got burned. Sega abandoned the Wii U after a serious effort to support core titles. Capcom gave a good effort but saw no real results. Namco gave up. Wii titles were rarely on the charts save for long legged titles like Mario Kart, Wii Fit and New Super Mario Bros.. It's a hollow victory at best.
---