This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think taking longer to beat games helps you appreciate them more?

#1Yuri_LowelIPosted 11/27/2012 4:09:34 PM
Like an RPG. If you blast through it in a week over 50 hours, you might not relate to the characters or have that emotional link with the story as much. IF you spend 50 hours across a whole month then you will feel like the payoff at the end is more satisfying because you've spent longer with it, even though you've spent the same amount of game time.

This is because the longer you are tied with something the more connection you have for it. Characters in the game you feel like you've known them for ages.

An example is watching the entire Lost series back to back in a week. Compared to watching it over 5 years 1 episode per week.
---
http://s19.postimage.org/euz7x7atd/yurilowell.png
#2randomweirdoPosted 11/27/2012 4:14:47 PM
Not really. The games I end up appreciating the most are the ones that get me so hooked that I just can't put them down. Kind of like a good book. And those I play over and over again just to see those little details I may have missed and will understand better knowing the ending.
#3En Sabah NurPosted 11/27/2012 4:17:02 PM
That really depends. As far as your analogy to the show Lost, I think it's actually better to watch shows back to back. It keeps things fresher in your mind. Aside from being impatient for the next one, you might forget little things that happened a week or a month ago whereas that won't happen if you watch it back to back. I tend to not even watch TV at all and just watch entire series on Netflix.

As far as games go, I prefer games that don't require as much of a time investment anymore. Playing super long JRPGs was extremely enjoyable when I was 13 or 14, but I'm 28 now and I sometimes just want to be done with a game and move on to another (especially when it isn't holding my interest). Some games I really love and I don't mind them being 20, 30, 50, etc. hours long. Other games start to just really drag.

I put like 150 hours into Skyrim but I enjoyed it 95% of the time. I put enough time into Red Dead Redemption to get 100% completion but I had a lot of fun aside from a few really annoying challenges that would sometimes sap my will to play. And then there's FFXIII where I did all the monster hunting and put so much effort into it, and I just felt like the time was kinda wasted. It wasn't that fun and I would've preferred it to end much, much sooner.

I do think that you can often appreciate a game even more after taking a break or "sabbatical" from it and then coming back later though. I've done this numerous times where I buy a game, play it a bit, and then just put it down completely. It's usually on the second "attempt" that I end up finishing a game fully and trying to do as much in it as I can. Does that apply to your question?
---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#4Yuri_LowelI(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 4:19:58 PM
I agree about the not having as much time to beat long RPG's but tbh I prefer to play those games but over longer period of time. I'm playing Persona 4 Golden right now, i'm about 6 hours in but I probably won't finish the game until January. Game is 60 Hours +
---
http://s19.postimage.org/euz7x7atd/yurilowell.png
#5CammyApplePosted 11/27/2012 4:20:32 PM
When I was younger and could only afford a few games a year yes. However now that I'm older and don't have much time I appreciate when a game is fun and tells its story in an amount of time that feels "right".

I don't need any game to be 50+ hours unless nothing else is coming out for 3 months.

I can play through Final Fantasy Tactics or Suikoden 2 in a weekend and I'm happy with that. Actually I can play FFT in one sitting but that's not the point.
#6knightimexPosted 11/27/2012 5:58:15 PM
RPGs should only be 50+ hours on the first play through.

I can't stand it when action games are longer than 8 hours.

God of war 3 was a perfect length.
Resident evil 4 was also perfect in length.

Because of it's style of play Even Contra Hard Corps on XBLA is a perfect length.
---
Soldier of the Nintendo Defense Force (N.D.F)
Wii U Division.
#7yankee6903Posted 11/27/2012 6:08:33 PM
Absolutely not. I have enjoyed just as many 12 hour games as 100 hour. If the content is good, then the content is good. I hate USELESS material and USELESS grinding.
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#8CammyApplePosted 11/27/2012 6:23:15 PM
yankee6903 posted...
Absolutely not. I have enjoyed just as many 12 hour games as 100 hour. If the content is good, then the content is good. I hate USELESS material and USELESS grinding.

This is true.