This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about GTA IV's Episodes from Liberty City

#1hulkhogan1Posted 11/27/2012 6:28:01 PM(edited)
So with GTA 5 coming out in the next 6 months or so, I decided I wanted to take my time playing through GTA IV again, followed by both of the episodes. I never got around to getting far into both of the episodes, so I'm wondering if it matters what order I play them in? Are the two stories linked in any way? Also, how does their length compare to GTA IV's length?
#2yohabrohaPosted 11/27/2012 6:44:35 PM(edited)
i would personally play them in order of release, just to see how the game evolved for the rest of the world. if you don't like the GTA formula being messed with, i would skip the first 2 and just play Ballad of Gay Tony. The 2 DLC's make up about the time of the normal game, but I don't take my word too seriously on that, I 100% all of them so my idea of game time is kind of off.
---
PS3/XBL/SteamID: WillHungIs1337.
#3LandfillAOPosted 11/27/2012 6:53:31 PM
hulkhogan1 posted...
So with GTA 5 coming out in the next 6 months or so, I decided I wanted to take my time playing through GTA IV again, followed by both of the episodes. I never got around to getting far into both of the episodes, so I'm wondering if it matters what order I play them in? Are the two stories linked in any way? Also, how does their length compare to GTA IV's length?

All the stories are linked in multiple ways. Ways that you'd have to play them all to even know about. I thought it was pretty genius of R* the way they linked it all.

Doesn't really matter what order you play them in but I would say play them in the order of release as well.

Length is pretty subjective. If you just do the main missions I'm sure it can be quite short. But if you're like me and look to do all the side objectives (gang/drug wars, races and other side activities) and do some messing around then you'll get a good amount of time out of each DLC. I got 13 hours out of TLAD and about the same for TBoGT.
#4whiteboygenePosted 11/27/2012 6:56:18 PM
Play them in order, otherwise you'd just get a strange view of the story that no one else ever would have. When I played through GTA IV, I hated the characters from the DLC (from Niko's perspective), but when I got around to playing TLaD and TBoGT, I ended up loving each of them.
---
Chairman of the Correct Opinion Board.
"Your still a psychopath Whiteboygene" -Offworlder1
#5Perfect LightPosted 11/27/2012 7:17:47 PM
Ballad of Gay Tony clearly wraps up the overarching story (the diamonds lost in IV) so you should play them in order: main game, then TLaD and then Gay Tony.
---
E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me.
#6PantherRiderPosted 11/27/2012 7:28:53 PM
all three are interlinked... however it doesn't matter which order you play'm in.
---
**Self Proclaimed Official Bro-Hugger of the Xbox Boards, Total Bro Hugs given: 5**
#7whiteboygenePosted 11/28/2012 9:41:56 AM
PantherRider posted...
all three are interlinked... however it doesn't matter which order you play'm in.

wrong, just wrong. Play them in order.
---
#8hulkhogan1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 4:43:09 PM
One more question, can the DLC versions be used with the disc versions? Like say I have the DLC versions and my friend has them on disc. Would we be able to play online with each other?
#9whiteboygenePosted 11/28/2012 6:28:28 PM
^Strangely enough, with TBoGT, yes, but with TLaD, no.
---