This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Series that killed their own legacy this generation.

#11TheSnypahvol2Posted 11/28/2012 12:24:58 PM
I think some people really missed what this topic was aiming for...

Soul Calibur was the first to come to mind for me. Its the very definition of mediocre now.
#12PantherRiderPosted 11/28/2012 12:25:15 PM
I gotta go with RE6 realistically however the only game thats stuck to its roots a bit but has gotten very tiring nowadays... Silent Hill they keep trying but each time they try i feel as though they are fast approaching there own Silent Hill.
---
**Self Proclaimed Official Bro-Hugger of the Xbox Boards, Total Bro Hugs given: 5**
#13pothocketPosted 11/28/2012 12:25:37 PM
darkhare posted...
pothocket posted...
Hey scrubs, ME2 SAVED the series. Number 1 is barely playable as a game. Also, that series was introduced this generation.

A real answer for this topic would be something like Resident Evil.

ResidentEvil (went from survival horror, to action/adventure)

DeadSpace (went from sorta survival horror to 3ps)

Ok, I'll roll with your non-sequitor

RE went from survival horror to generic shooter

Dead Space (with it's "legacy" of two games) went from survival horror to survival horror.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#14GeistPosted 11/28/2012 12:27:35 PM
randomweirdo posted...
Geist posted...
Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy killed their own legacy last gen tbh.

I disagree, 10 and 12 were great, 13 is a hole to hell lined with boredom.
---
Currently playing : Minecraft 360
#15darkharePosted 11/28/2012 12:28:23 PM
pothocket posted...
darkhare posted...
pothocket posted...
Hey scrubs, ME2 SAVED the series. Number 1 is barely playable as a game. Also, that series was introduced this generation.

A real answer for this topic would be something like Resident Evil.

ResidentEvil (went from survival horror, to action/adventure)

DeadSpace (went from sorta survival horror to 3ps)

Ok, I'll roll with your non-sequitor

RE went from survival horror to generic shooter

Dead Space (with it's "legacy" of two games) went from survival horror to survival horror.

i suppose i am being a tad unfair about DeadSpace, ive played both of 'em and neither one i would put into the category of survival horror. the game does have some really cool set pieces though, ill give it that.
---
before i was born i didnt mind death, why would i mind death after living life?
#16SunDevil77Posted 11/28/2012 12:30:02 PM
darkhare posted...
MassEffect (rpg that turned 3ps, then crapped on fans by giving them a horrible, horrible ending)

Gears (devs kept changing the game through updates just pissing off the fans more)

Forza (horizon)

How are you so consistently wrong?
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#17darkharePosted 11/28/2012 12:31:47 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
darkhare posted...
MassEffect (rpg that turned 3ps, then crapped on fans by giving them a horrible, horrible ending)

Gears (devs kept changing the game through updates just pissing off the fans more)

Forza (horizon)

because you see everything through your "internetz is serious business" bias?
---
#18SunDevil77Posted 11/28/2012 12:38:39 PM
darkhare posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
darkhare posted...

Forza (horizon)

What in the hell are you talking about?
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#19darkharePosted 11/28/2012 12:41:59 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
darkhare posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
darkhare posted...

Forza (horizon)

What in the hell are you talking about?

i explained why i stated what i did, you rebutted with a insult. i point and laugh at you..isnt that what we do here?
---
#20randomweirdoPosted 11/28/2012 12:43:39 PM
Geist posted...
randomweirdo posted...
Geist posted...
Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy killed their own legacy last gen tbh.

I disagree, 10 and 12 were great, 13 is a hole to hell lined with boredom.

Great? The characters in 12 were cardboard cutouts except maybe for Balthier and a couple of minor characters. The story sure wasn't anything special, just the normal FF brand of empire wanting to rule the world. In fact, it was just pretty much a rehash of FF6 or FF2, but 6 did a better job with interesting plot. Gameplay wise, it was utterly tedious and I would have quit likely if I didn't have the pleasure of staring at Balthier.

It had great potential, and just fell flat.

10 was okay, but it had far too many drawbacks to be a great game in the series. If it were a standalone title it would be good, but you compare it to other FF games, it falls flat.

Though to be quite honest, I think the legacy was killed with FF7 because then they became shiny and pretty but with little substance. Square/Enix just forgot that what made the series awesome was how they pushed the limits in every aspect, not just graphically. Instead they concentrated on graphics and the rest tended to fall flat because it was an afterthought at best.

I'll admit, I haven't played 13, but that is mostly because I hated 10 and 12 and have pretty much given up on the fact that Square/Enix can create a decent game with the name Final Fantasy on it and instead is now creating mediocre games and milking the brand for sales like they are doing by porting the old titles tot pretty much every system they can.