This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Series that killed their own legacy this generation.

#161mtjormitchPosted 11/28/2012 8:54:12 PM
Super Paper Mario was one of the best ones. The story is freaking amazing. Now, sure, the gameplay in Paper Mario 2 was good and the story was interesting. The newest paper mario is crap though. Because of gameplay and because of no story. Why get rid of both when you can have both?

Super Paper Mario is better than the newest Paper Mario for the fact that it actually has quality. That is a fact.

Why bother playing a storyless game when I can play a better story based one?
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#162mtjormitchPosted 11/28/2012 8:54:52 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Simplicity is bliss, Mitch. Simplicity is bliss.

So you admit that story based games are worse because they make you think... really... just really. Huh.. I am guessing you burn books too.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#163Karsh_14Posted 11/28/2012 8:57:20 PM
*Game is released (Being a direct sequel or otherwise)

*Game moves a MASSIVE amount of units, becomes the number 1 seller, gets great reviews.

*GameFAQS kid clicks on this topic

*GameFAQS kid posts said game into this topic

Generally whats been going on here. Some of these responses are absurd. Mass Effect? Elder Scrolls? Mario? Call of Duty? Halo??

Not only are these bad opinions, they're just flat out wrong. You can't kill your own legacy when you release a new game and it comes out with great reviews and moves millions of units.

You have to look at what a franchise once WAS, then compare what the game did to said franchise. That's the definition of what a "legacy" (As far as games are concerned) is. Something like Duke Nukem doesn't count because it was never expected to sell, and they didn't have a good rep putting out all star games anyways.

Resident Evil however, does fit here. Also Final Fantasy can be argued for as well (If the Japanese didn't blindly buy these titles, their sales would be abysmal considering the money thrown into them). Hell you don't even play Final Fantasy games anymore, you just autoplay and apparently thats cool for people. (Especially when the games had limited interaction to begin with, they somehow made it more hands off!!).

For PC, Diablo 3 and Starcraft II will have this happen as well, but it's not apparent yet. When the expansions come to these 2 games, the sales are going to be HORRIBLE and blizzard doesn't even know yet, its like watching a train smash into a bus full of children in slo-mo.

Oh and the poster boy for this is obviously Sonic. Think you know what the topic means? Think about what happened to Sonic (Guy had a comic line, toys and a TV show at one point), then think if it applies the same logic to the game you wish to include here.
---
Cheers.
#164creep50Posted 11/28/2012 8:58:04 PM
mtjormitch posted...
creep50 posted...
mtjormitch posted...
creep50 posted...
mtjormitch posted...
creep50 posted...

wow??? okay...is that the reason they also got great reviews on the original nes??also its not like that mario 64 had much of a story ether so that logic dosnt really make sense

Again. Nostalgia boners. The main reason the games are well reviewed is the basic fact that they did revive video games. Nothing more. 64 was just plain better than the galaxy games.

that still dosnt explain why they got good reviews when they where originally released....or why still to this day the worst reviewed 3d mario game is sunshine which had the more story than all of them

also these games crash bandicoot,banjo kazooie,doom,spyro,megaman

Yet the best mario games in peoples minds aren't even the 3D ones. but the Paper and the RPG kind which do have interesting to great stories. Super Paper Mario legitimately has an amazing story to it and it is just plain better than all the other pieces of crap like Super Mario.

Story makes anything better. That is also a fact.

actually...not only do you yet again fail to explain anything...but you are also 100% wrong

the best mario game in most peoples minds is mario 3....sometimes mario world
and those game barley have any stories

Yet both are terrible by literally any game made nowadays. Why play Mario when I can play Bioshock? Or Metro 2033? Or To the Moon? Why play something storyless when it rots my mind when I can play a video game with a actual story. Tell me why.

just going to keep ignoring the question...okay

why play a game that limits itself within its story when you can play something imaginative....like i said portal 2 is great but the story is just in the way after the first playthrough...making the replay value less than nothing

also mario galaxy >>>>> all those games

exept maybe bioshock...but that is only because the story in that game dosnt slow the game down
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#165SunDevil77Posted 11/28/2012 9:03:18 PM
mtjormitch posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Simplicity is bliss, Mitch. Simplicity is bliss.

So you admit that story based games are worse because they make you think... really... just really. Huh.. I am guessing you burn books too.

The way you twist things amuses me.
I love story based games. I love games with literally no stories. It depends on the game, some games need a story, and some do not. You always deal with absolutes, and it'll bite you in the ass eventually.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#166DarkPhoenix424Posted 11/28/2012 9:05:32 PM
Mass Effect. Started off interesting, ended in a total train-wreck.
---
Nibelung Valesti
360 GT: ParadiseRegaind
#167SigalphaPosted 11/28/2012 9:06:09 PM
Final Fantasy.
Call of Duty.

I used to enjoy those games. Now it's all crappy sequels and squeaky teenagers.
---
I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
#168Robin_MaskPosted 11/28/2012 9:16:34 PM
En Sabah Nur posted...
KtuluheroII posted...
NG Sigma 2 was way better than NG2 itself.

That's just plain wrong.

How is that wrong?

Did you even play NG2? It had some HORRIBLE boss fights that were wisely removed in NG Sigma 2.

It has more content in the form of an extra weapon, three extra playable characters, extra/different bosses, a co-op mission mode, and some improved balancing/features.

On what planet is that worse?

The game was originally supposed to have more enemies and not have some bad framerate or take away enemies. Instead of some bad things about NG2, instead, NGS2 adds a OHKO throw? lol

One of the most famous parts of NGII is the staircase battle with over a hundred enemies and even slowdown to having a huge crowd of enemies, instead it's just a small group of enemies at a time.

Never mind the fact that they took out the gore that the original game was made for. Even then, remember that Hayashi made the Sigma games AND Ninja Gaiden III, Itagaki did NG, NGBlack and NGII.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#169charon78auPosted 11/28/2012 9:51:46 PM
Coming into being this generation, does not disqualify a series from becoming mediocre/terrible/uninteresting this generation.

I have to agree with the following:

Mass Effect - though I heard the death knell at ME3 rather than at ME2.
GTAIV - barely as fun as its predecessors.
Resident Evil - nothing scary about it now, and the controls are horrible.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#170SunDevil77Posted 11/28/2012 9:54:52 PM
charon78au posted...

Resident Evil - nothing scary about it now, and the controls are horrible.

You think the controls are horrible now? Did you play the old REs?
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.