This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Racism in RPGs: Dragon Age & Mass Effect

#11Clique_KillaPosted 11/29/2012 3:02:56 AM
lol shawnmc is still mad about the election. Get over it man.
---
Killa of Cliques
#12Dillon360Posted 11/29/2012 3:14:03 AM(edited)
OrgeLambart posted...
So because the guy was hispanic that means he doesn't know how to speak english.... That sentence is kind of racist don't you think? Also the President being black has nothing to do with anything, that's like saying, I can't be racist, I have some black friends.

The Mexican that could barely speak English was a hypothetical situation. Most Mexicans speak English just fine. It's the Mexicans that speak ****ty english that I was referring to. That guy that has the NERVE to get mad at ME because I asked him to repeat himself... It's not my fault you speak ****ty english! If you want to live here, I think it's only fair that you learn how to PROPERLY speak English. What's so wrong or racist about that?

The black man becoming president represents the "black man" finally reaching the top. A black man has the most important and respected job in America. From now on, when a black man tells his kid a story, he will talk about how a black man became president and he will tell his son that he can do or be ANYTHING in this country, because we are all "officially" equal now...

Get it?

Nothing I said was racist AT ALL.

Rude and blunt? Yes.

Racist? NO
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#13HeLeehamPosted 11/29/2012 3:22:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#14Emperor_mateusPosted 11/29/2012 4:37:15 AM
You humans are all racists!
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#15Banana_ManaPosted 11/29/2012 5:35:33 AM
donwallo posted...
But "culture" is "like a nature". What is wrong with this view and what is the alternative the author prefers?

Culture being like nature is an odd view, many have said that culture and nature are polar opposites (google it - I don't want to find the references, but I have read more than a few peer-reviewed articles on this subject). It seems that this sort of classification of culture stems from essentialist ideals, which are seen by many as being old-fashioned, outdated, and offensive.

By pushing this ideal the author himself (herself) can be seen as being 'racist'. Certainly more so than anyone involved in the creation of DA or ME.
---
Current Specs: TV | Xbox | Controller | Pillow | Floor | Two Hands | Two Eyes | Tea-Making Facilities | Assorted Snacks.
#16KOTRwhoopsPosted 11/29/2012 5:59:00 AM
Absolute rubbish (garbage for you Americans).
---
PLAYING - Halo 4 (360), Walking Dead (360), Tales Of Graces f (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Ni No Kuni, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#17donwalloPosted 11/29/2012 8:06:16 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
donwallo posted...
But "culture" is "like a nature". What is wrong with this view and what is the alternative the author prefers?

Culture being like nature is an odd view, many have said that culture and nature are polar opposites (google it - I don't want to find the references, but I have read more than a few peer-reviewed articles on this subject). It seems that this sort of classification of culture stems from essentialist ideals, which are seen by many as being old-fashioned, outdated, and offensive.

By pushing this ideal the author himself (herself) can be seen as being 'racist'. Certainly more so than anyone involved in the creation of DA or ME.

To be opposed is not to be dissimilar. Left and right are opposites but except for their opposition to one another they are exactly the same thing. (In other words left has the same relation to everything but right that right does).

"Culture" in the sense the author used it is that which functions exactly like nature but is not nature. Culture is supposed to be whatever constitutes a human being that does not come directly from his inborn biological nature.

In fact the older and better understanding of the phenomenon that the notion of culture intends is the Greek nomos, meaning convention (the sum total of law, tradition, education, and habit imposed upon a human). And an ancient Greek writer famously described the habits that nomos instills as "almost a second nature".
---
There's nothing remarkable about, let alone wrong with, "stating your opinion as fact". So please stop complaining about it.
#18WinternovaPosted 11/29/2012 11:46:09 AM
Dillon360 posted...
It's not my fault you speak ****ty english! If you want to live here, I think it's only fair that you learn how to PROPERLY speak English. What's so wrong or racist about that?

Only the fact that there is no official language of the United States, so any language could be the dominant one, depending on how many people speak it. The question is why aren't you bilingual, esse?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#19DoukouPosted 11/29/2012 12:07:24 PM
Winternova posted...
Dillon360 posted...
It's not my fault you speak ****ty english! If you want to live here, I think it's only fair that you learn how to PROPERLY speak English. What's so wrong or racist about that?

Only the fact that there is no official language of the United States, so any language could be the dominant one, depending on how many people speak it. The question is why aren't you bilingual, esse?

Who says he isn't bilingual? He could speak Japanese for all you know.
Don't assume stuff.
---
Don't read this sig.
#20Dillon360Posted 11/29/2012 5:40:15 PM
Winternova posted...
Dillon360 posted...

Our President speaks english.

Every worker at every store I've ever shopped at speaks english.

Every waitress I've ever had serve me spoke english.

The people at the DMV speak english.

Elementary, Middle school, High school, AND College teachers teach their class in English.

So, with all of that being said, what do YOU think the official language of the United States is?

I'll wait...
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year