This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Racism in RPGs: Dragon Age & Mass Effect

#41Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 11:55:38 AM
1) Please stay on topic. This discussion is about racism as treated in role playing games (spfitically Dragon Age and Mass Effect). This is not the place to air your grievances and personal problems.

2) It is widely publicized that a number of people refused to vote for Obama because he is Black. Clearly the issue swings both ways and is regretable in either circumstance. Still, with a number of people issuing death threats against Obama via Twitter and Facebook, and a number of people calling Obama the "N word" (a woman was recently fired from Cold Stone for calling him the "N word" and sayin that she hopes that Obama gets asassinated), perhaps instead of assuming that a large number if Blacks votes for Obama because he is Black, you should be disturbed by any and all race issues surrounding his election, whether it be pro-Black bias or anti-Black bigotry. Prejudice shows whenever someone is only concerned woth one side of racism and bigotry rather than all sides. You can't be grieved by prejudice from one side and accept it from another side. A house divided...as the expression goes.

3) Racism comes in two forms; a system and an idiology. As a system, racism is the intetional disenfranchising of an ethnic minority group by a majority ethnic group. As an idiology, racism is the idea of supremacy and inferiority based upon race as the criteria. Bigotry and prejudice are forms of distrust and hate for a specific group based on a series of negative assumptions. Please know the differences.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#42Dillon360Posted 11/30/2012 11:59:46 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
Why don't you guys just go start a cult somewhere.

I'm in a cult FOOL.

It's called the RAIDER NATION!

Our team sucks, but hey, at least we get labeled as a bunch of dumb, violent alcoholics... IT'S GREAT!
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#43Dillon360Posted 11/30/2012 12:21:26 PM(edited)
I GUARANTEE YOU that more white people voted for Obama than Black people voted for Romney.

I GUARANTEE IT.

This shows that white people are evolving and willing to change.

Black people are still very stubborn. I've talked to a lot of black people, and they felt like they would be (betraying their race) by voting for a white man over a black man.

White people don't see it that way. We just vote for who we feel is the better candidate.

It's hilarious how different the thinking is...
---
#44Robin_MaskPosted 11/30/2012 12:16:27 PM(edited)
Nintendological posted...
1) Please stay on topic. This discussion is about racism as treated in role playing games (spfitically Dragon Age and Mass Effect). This is not the place to air your grievances and personal problems.

2) It is widely publicized that a number of people refused to vote for Obama because he is Black. Clearly the issue swings both ways and is regretable in either circumstance. Still, with a number of people issuing death threats against Obama via Twitter and Facebook, and a number of people calling Obama the "N word" (a woman was recently fired from Cold Stone for calling him the "N word" and sayin that she hopes that Obama gets asassinated), perhaps instead of assuming that a large number if Blacks votes for Obama because he is Black, you should be disturbed by any and all race issues surrounding his election, whether it be pro-Black bias or anti-Black bigotry. Prejudice shows whenever someone is only concerned woth one side of racism and bigotry rather than all sides. You can't be grieved by prejudice from one side and accept it from another side. A house divided...as the expression goes.

3) Racism comes in two forms; a system and an idiology. As a system, racism is the intetional disenfranchising of an ethnic minority group by a majority ethnic group. As an idiology, racism is the idea of supremacy and inferiority based upon race as the criteria. Bigotry and prejudice are forms of distrust and hate for a specific group based on a series of negative assumptions. Please know the differences.

1) I'm not white, I have personally seen these ideas get told in classes.

2) There have also been threats that if Romney was a president, they would go on a killing spree, same for killing him. The problem is, if whites had a near 100% majority of voting for Romney, they would be called racists.

3) It's gotten to the point where a lot of people are racist to "beat down" on everyone else, it just happens. A lot of people want to be "the best person that ever lived" and also the one who "enlightened the world with my own views only" nowadays anyway.

Dillon360 posted...
Black people are still very stubborn. I've talked to a lot of black people, and they felt like they were (betraying their race) by voting for a white man over a black man.

My friend's mom says that all whites are racist, no exceptions. It's gotten to the point where there are people who do think this.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#45SR71haloPosted 11/30/2012 12:18:15 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
Sounds like the author is just making a big deal about nothing.
You can't even look at someone anymore without being accused of racism.

I'll give you an example...
Republicans give examples that prove Obama lied & misled the American people....and the reaction by the Democrats was to label them "racists".

I'll give you an example closer to my own personal experience....
There was this guy who is Hispanic...and he was hired by Hispanics....but the same Hispanics who hired him however gave a white guy a promotion because he had special expertise that the company wanted to take advantage of.
The Hispanic guy then sues the company for racism and wins.
Now I talked to one of the Hispanics who ran the company, and they say that the Hispanic guy didn't get the promotion because he was an "idiot" (showed up late for work & often screwed up...but as it turns out knows how to complain loudest), but that didn't stop the jury (all made of of Hispanics) from ruling in the guy's favor.
There was no racism, just perceived racism.

The truth is that some people love to play the victim because it allows them to gain sympathy &/or special favors & benefits.

And so now we've been degraded as a society by talking about how racist some games are because of the way they are made (Dragon Age & Mass Effect).
Its all a bunch of Bull-excrement.

Now I'm not saying there is no such thing as racism....but I am saying that a lot of cases that are supposedly "racist" are nothing of the kind and are just attempts by some to gain benefits, perks, or recognition that they did not earn & do not deserve.

This, so much. I'm tired of people using racism as a scapegoat. If you ask me, using the racist card for you own benefit is almost as bad as racists themselves. I'm willing to bet that some people don't so much care that somebody may have said something about their race, it's just that this country is so damn sensitive on the issue that they are just looking for a way to profit from it. How is this equal again?
---
Now Leave!
#46majinbuu58Posted 11/30/2012 12:21:02 PM

A recent myth. Racism is alive and well and rising.

Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the nation elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward black people whether they recognize those feelings or not.

In all, 51 percent of those surveyed expressed explicit racist attitudes toward black people, compared with 48 percent in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the share with racist sentiments jumped to 56 percent, up from 49 percent during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing positive attitudes toward black people fell.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2012/10/27/poll-majority-harbor-prejudice-against-blacks/5Tj42nmGdF8e4iF0FQ0aNK/story.html

America is predominately racist. A Black president matters little and has only exacerbated the issue. While it would be nice to believe that we are a unified nation where culture trumps nature, it sems that we are far from that ideal. To that end, it is like the Elves and the humans. A long sordid history of slavery and racism, followed by segregation and a desire by the second class to integrate. Even though on the surface, there appears to be equality, lingering hate still remains.

Your link is broken and I also believe that a test such as that is impossible to get proper results. Where was the survey done? How was it done? How do you qualify what's racist?
---
"Bruce Wayne is the sort of guy who eats his broccoli, and eats it raw." -CatAtomic999
#47Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 12:22:50 PM
Dillon360 posted...
I GUARANTEE YOU that more white people voted for Obama than Black people voted for Romney.

I GUARANTEE IT.

This shows that white people are evolving and willing to change.

Black people are still very stubborn. I've talked to a lot of black people, and they felt like they were (betraying their race) by voting for a white man over a black man.

White people don't see it that way. We just vote for who we feel is the better candidate.

It's hilarious how different the thinking is...

Yet how many times have other Black men ru. Even in the past thirty years? When Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson ran, Blacks didn't line up to vote for either of them. If it were a matter of race, then Herman Cain should of had droves of voters. Yet amazingly, none of those Black men held sufficient voter support from the Black community.

In fact, in the short history of the Black priviliege to vote (1964, which was the beginning of safe voting for Blacks), Blacks have often voted for the White candidate, even when a Black candidate was available. Blacks also predominately vote for Democrats and the party choice this time happened to be Black.

So what excuse do you have now? You jabe a painful life ahead of you if you refuse to seek objective truth. No one is blasting you with a water hose, denying you a seat in a restaurant, forcing you to attend a separate school or stopping and frisking you because of your skin. Not saying you have not experienced some form of bigotry in your life time, but it is clear that you need a better perspective of the history of this nation.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#48Dillon360Posted 11/30/2012 12:28:30 PM
majinbuu58 posted...

A recent myth. Racism is alive and well and rising.

Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the nation elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward black people whether they recognize those feelings or not.

In all, 51 percent of those surveyed expressed explicit racist attitudes toward black people, compared with 48 percent in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the share with racist sentiments jumped to 56 percent, up from 49 percent during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing positive attitudes toward black people fell.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2012/10/27/poll-majority-harbor-prejudice-against-blacks/5Tj42nmGdF8e4iF0FQ0aNK/story.html

America is predominately racist. A Black president matters little and has only exacerbated the issue. While it would be nice to believe that we are a unified nation where culture trumps nature, it sems that we are far from that ideal. To that end, it is like the Elves and the humans. A long sordid history of slavery and racism, followed by segregation and a desire by the second class to integrate. Even though on the surface, there appears to be equality, lingering hate still remains.

Your link is broken and I also believe that a test such as that is impossible to get proper results. Where was the survey done? How was it done? How do you qualify what's racist?

Seriously.

He acts like they questioned EVERYBODY in America. When really, that survey probably doesn't include 90% of the population.

And who knows? Maybe that would have been the non racist 90%. Which could have greatly lowered that number...

All I know is that nobody made me a part of that survey. So there's one more non racist person added to that list...
---
#49majinbuu58Posted 11/30/2012 12:29:38 PM

Yet how many times have other Black men ru. Even in the past thirty years? When Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson ran, Blacks didn't line up to vote for either of them. If it were a matter of race, then Herman Cain should of had droves of voters. Yet amazingly, none of those Black men held sufficient voter support from the Black community.

In fact, in the short history of the Black priviliege to vote (1964, which was the beginning of safe voting for Blacks), Blacks have often voted for the White candidate, even when a Black candidate was available. Blacks also predominately vote for Democrats and the party choice this time happened to be Black.

So what excuse do you have now? You jabe a painful life ahead of you if you refuse to seek objective truth. No one is blasting you with a water hose, denying you a seat in a restaurant, forcing you to attend a separate school or stopping and frisking you because of your skin. Not saying you have not experienced some form of bigotry in your life time, but it is clear that you need a better perspective of the history of this nation.

Those were different times. Social Media is so huge now that voting "for the black guy" is a social status thing. Also, Herman Cain didn't make it simply because most of the nation only votes in the presidential election.
---
"Bruce Wayne is the sort of guy who eats his broccoli, and eats it raw." -CatAtomic999
#50DXiRoNMaNPosted 11/30/2012 12:36:10 PM
majinbuu58 posted...

Those were different times. Social Media is so huge now that voting "for the black guy" is a social status thing. Also, Herman Cain didn't make it simply because most of the nation only votes in the presidential election.

Herman Cain is about fiscal conservatism, cutting entitlements, eliminating the absurd federal tax code and personal responsibility. In other words he's a "sellout".
I don't know what's more laughable, the fact that minorities haven't figured out Obama won't solve their problems or that someone wrote an essay on racism in RPGs.
---
XBL- DXiRoNMaN PSN- DXiRoNMaN WiiFC- 7177 5213 2278 2695
"I'm like the only smartest one on this board with like 5 other people." - some moron