This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Racism in RPGs: Dragon Age & Mass Effect

#61Dillon360Posted 11/30/2012 10:42:23 PM
So you're saying that AT LEAST 51% of Americans (the majority) DON'T speak English as their first language?

I'm not buying it.

You still didn't answer my question. What is the most commonly known and used language in America?
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#62WinternovaPosted 11/30/2012 10:59:26 PM
Dillon360 posted...
So you're saying that AT LEAST 51% of Americans (the majority) DON'T speak English as their first language?

I'm not buying it.

You still didn't answer my question. What is the most commonly known and used language in America?

What is the most common language is not in question. It's irrelevant. The question is whether there is an OFFICIAL language in the US. There is not, no matter how many people speak English.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#63Dillon360Posted 11/30/2012 11:03:55 PM
Dancing around the question like a ballerina are we?

My point was that if there is NO official language, then we will go by the most commonly known and used language in the country...

Which is?
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#64WinternovaPosted 11/30/2012 11:41:41 PM
Dillon360 posted...
Dancing around the question like a ballerina are we?

My point was that if there is NO official language, then we will go by the most commonly known and used language in the country...

Which is?

The problem is that you insinuate that you want to force people to be fluent in a specific language, English:

Dillon360 posted...
If you want to live here, I think it's only fair that you learn how to PROPERLY speak English. What's so wrong or racist about that?

What is wrong about that is there's no way to force people to speak a language because there's no official language. No one has to learn a specific language to live in the United States. Even in immigration courts interpreters are provided. No one should be forced to learn or speak English; THAT is why you're wrong.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#65shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 12:39:04 AM(edited)
When you have a breakdown in language then you have a breakdown in society (i.e. racism).

I live in southern California (just a stone's throw from the Mexican border)...and I would say roughly 35% of the people here don't speak any English (unless you count all the cuss words).
And as a white guy, I've had plenty of racism projected on me as Hispanics make up 90+% of the population.
I've been beaten up 3 times already during the course of my life here...just because I am WHITE.
I've been threatened a lot more. (not just with physical harm, but also death...just for being white)

There was a demonstration here some years back where a large group pf Hispanics were protesting Prop 187 (an initiative denying benefits to illegals) and many of these protesters were waving the Mexican flag....some guy (who was in the military & also white) decided to go home & get his American flag & wave it around. The Hispanics seized him, broke his flag & burned it, and beat the guy bad enough to be put in the hospital for a few days.
This was never called what it was in the press, which was "racism", because for some reason you can't accuse Hispanics or African Americans of being racist.

There is this false narrative where only white people are portrayed as "racist", which is a bunch of BS.
You come live where I live for a few months and then we'll see what you think about racism.
I've heard people (Hispanic) say to my face that they can't wait to drive all the white people out of California.
There is a lot of talk by a lot of Hispanics of taking California (by force) and giving it back to Mexico...yet this is never called "racism" either.

Where I live you are required to know Spanish if you want to even be considered for a job.
There is no such requirement for English.
Making someone learn English is somehow "racist"...but forcing people to learn Spanish is okay.
There literally are laws stating that you can't force anyone to learn English for a job, but no such laws exist that say you can't force anyone to learn Spanish.
Its a double-standard and I'm sick of being told to bend over & grab the ankles or else get accused of being a "racist."
#66l33t_h4xPosted 12/1/2012 12:34:39 AM
Where do you live exactly?
---
"I am a douchebag!!!"- Djin
#67shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 12:37:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#68Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 12:41:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#69BcowmanPosted 12/1/2012 12:45:20 AM
Sweet, another topic reminding me of how oppressed I am. I tend to forget how hard it is for me to be white.
#70shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 1:39:37 AM(edited)
l33t_h4x posted...
Where do you live exactly?

^ I live in the Imperial Valley.
It is the sphincter of the USA.
Illegal immigration is rampant here, and nobody seems to care.
There is a high poverty rate as well as high unemployment.
We rank among the highest in the State in terms of unemployment (because of all the illegal immigration).

I would love to move, but simply don't have the means.
It's not that I just dislike living here, but I actually fear for my well-being sometimes, as I have been threatened quite a bit. I also get dirty looks all the time.
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought my name was "pinche gringo" (pronounced peen-chee), which is a very derogatory word for a white guy. It means something like, "damn white-guy."