This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Racism in RPGs: Dragon Age & Mass Effect

#71shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 1:00:19 AM(edited)
Nintendological posted...
If the mods weren't so apathetic and/or lazy, most of you would have (or at least should have) received karma loss, if not outright banning. This topic has gone far of course. This is a VIDEO GAME forum. Take your political debates to the appropriate forum. Stop with the bigotry, ignorance, censor bypassing, off topic posting and trolling. This is beyond ridiculous. If you can't stay on topic, leave the thread or shut the hell up. And yes, I'm speaking directly to the three of you clowns that derailed what was an interesting discussion about video game plotting and race.

No one cares about your political views, poorly founded anger or other personal issues. Take them up with your congressman, not the Xbox forums of GameFAQs. Lastly, you are complete embarrassments to the UNITED States (that emphasis is a not so settle hint about unity). I pray that none of you ever get permission to leave our borders for fear of the level of idiocy you'd spread abroad. God forbid you talk to anyone outside of the country. Fools like you are the reason why foreigners believe us to be so stupid. Do the U.S. a favor and stop talking amd claiming this nation as your country. I don't want idiots like you being a foreigner's first thought of an American. In the words of Louis C.K., "shut it till you can use it!"

^ your initial post and every post since has been just as offensive and also lacks any semblance of class, insight, or intelligence...let alone relevance or logic.
Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc is NOT proof of racism.
And Stop being a hypocrite.
You love to point fingers of racism all you like, but when others do it in your own topic you cry foul.
You are also petty & arrogant....you like to discuss perceived racism in a video game (where none exists), but get mad & are intolerant of real examples of racism by people posting in this topic.

You want to discus video-games...here you go...
Mass Effect & Dragon Age are NOT examples of racism.
Nobody is being hurt, threatened, or made fun of or abused in any way.
If anything, you are demonstrating more examples of racism than any game ever did.
#72Dillon360Posted 12/1/2012 1:36:40 AM(edited)
Winternova posted...
Dillon360 posted...
Dancing around the question like a ballerina are we?

My point was that if there is NO official language, then we will go by the most commonly known and used language in the country...

Which is?

The problem is that you insinuate that you want to force people to be fluent in a specific language, English:

Dillon360 posted...
If you want to live here, I think it's only fair that you learn how to PROPERLY speak English. What's so wrong or racist about that?

What is wrong about that is there's no way to force people to speak a language because there's no official language. No one has to learn a specific language to live in the United States. Even in immigration courts interpreters are provided. No one should be forced to learn or speak English; THAT is why you're wrong.

If I moved to China, without knowing how to properly speak Chinese. Do you think I would EVER get a job?

Most likely not.

Do you think I would get dirty looks for having the NERVE to walk into a Chinese restaurant and start talking in ENGLISH?

Yes. I would.

I'm not forcing anybody to learn English. I'm just acknowledging that I think it should be expected of you to be fluent in the language if you want to live here.

Not because It annoys me, but because it's paramount for a foreigners well being and it would make life so much easier for them.

If I lived in Mexico, I wouldn't want a gun or a knife. My greatest weapon would be the ability to speak Spanish. Being able to speak the language that most people speak in Mexico. That would save my life FAR MORE than any weapon ever could. It would make life in Mexico SO much easier, enjoyable, and a WHOLE LOT less scary and confusing.

And it's the same with people who don't speak English in America.

Life would be so much easier and enjoyable for them. They would feel more a part of the country. They wouldn't feel like such an Outcast. They would have access to things they have never had before. They would meet good people who they NEVER would have met if it wasn't for English... who knows?

Speaking English in America can only ENHANCE your life, it would never negatively effect you in any way. Only positive things can come out of it!

Yet I'm considered a racist for wanting to help out foreigners. For wanting them to have better lives...

I love it!

And as far as the language not being "official", what do you want? Obama to get a piece of paper and a stamp that says "The official language of the United States is English!" Don't you think he's got bigger issues to worry about?

Do you want the government to send a ballot to EVERY legal American and ask them what they think the official language of the country should be?

In fact, that's not a bad idea. Because English would win in a LANDSLIDE!
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#73shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 1:15:16 AM(edited)
BTW

TC, you do have the option to close the topic if you feel that the discussion has gotten out of hand.
You created the topic, and you are the one who can close it (lock it).

But what you CAN'T do is tell people what they (we) can & cannot post (unless it clearly is a TOS violation)....which to my knowledge & understanding it hasn't been.
And the reason why discussing real examples of racism or other non-game related arguments is not out of place is because it provides perspective....something which your posts lack.

And you yourself invited such discussion by trying to relate story in a video-game to real-world (real -life) application.
So I don't know why you are so upset when some of us do just that (inject real-world discussion on a real-life problem).

But feel free to close the topic down if you want.
That is your option.
#74l33t_h4xPosted 12/1/2012 1:11:17 AM
shawnmck posted...
l33t_h4x posted...
Where do you live exactly?

^ I live in the Imperial Valley.
It is the sphincter of the USA.
Illegal immigration is rampant here, and nobody seems to care.
There is a high poverty rate as well as high unemployment.
We rank among the highest in the State in terms of unemployment (because of all the illegal immigration).

I would love to move, but simply don't have the means.
It's not that I just dislike living here, but I actually fear for my well-being sometimes, as I have been threatened quite a bit. I also get dirty looks all the time.
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought my name was "pinchy gringo" (pronounced peen-chee), which is a very derogatory word for a white guy. It means something like, "damn white-guy."

That's a shame but at least you haven't gotten run out of town like this guy and his family. Maybe you've heard about it?

http://laist.com/2012/11/21/black_family_run_out_of_orange_coun.php

And yes I know what that means, since I am Mexican myself... btw gringo doesn't actually mean "white" it's more like "foreigner", usually an American...
---
"I am a douchebag!!!"- Djin
#75Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 1:18:02 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#76shawnmckPosted 12/1/2012 1:30:16 AM(edited)
^^ @ l33t_h4x
That is bad.
I hope the guy doesn't think that all people are like that.
There are some bad apples (racist people) there is no doubt....but they are actually a small percentage of the population.
Most people are actually fair-minded & law-abiding citizens.
Still, its a problem even if a little racism occurs.

I hope the guy has a better life wherever he ends up moving to.
Nobody should have to put up with that kind of crap.

BTW
"gringo" may mean foreigner in some areas, but its meaning is specific when talking about or to white people here where I live. it does NOT mean "foreigner here.
You can't say that the term is used to describe anyone other than whites.
I've heard the negative names called to African Americans, Asians, and other ethnicities....and "gringo" is never one of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+gringo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zM4&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&q=gringo&tbs=dfn:1&sa=X&ei=2L65UOiaPKaOiAKB6YHABQ&ved=0CC0QkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=54ddd4d3a7c90dfa&bpcl=39314241&biw=1024&bih=626
#77Robin_MaskPosted 12/1/2012 1:30:50 AM(edited)
l33t_h4x posted...
shawnmck posted...
l33t_h4x posted...
Where do you live exactly?

^ I live in the Imperial Valley.
It is the sphincter of the USA.
Illegal immigration is rampant here, and nobody seems to care.
There is a high poverty rate as well as high unemployment.
We rank among the highest in the State in terms of unemployment (because of all the illegal immigration).

I would love to move, but simply don't have the means.
It's not that I just dislike living here, but I actually fear for my well-being sometimes, as I have been threatened quite a bit. I also get dirty looks all the time.
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought my name was "pinchy gringo" (pronounced peen-chee), which is a very derogatory word for a white guy. It means something like, "damn white-guy."

That's a shame but at least you haven't gotten run out of town like this guy and his family. Maybe you've heard about it?

http://laist.com/2012/11/21/black_family_run_out_of_orange_coun.php

And yes I know what that means, since I am Mexican myself... btw gringo doesn't actually mean "white" it's more like "foreigner", usually an American...

I am a Mexican myself and we do apply it only to Americans. "Gringo" is the slang and an insulting term for whites, instead of using "guero" which is blond. Also, why was that black family on the press at least, compared to the person who got beat down for waving the American flag?
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#78Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 1:49:53 AM
shawnmck posted...

your initial post and every post since has been just as offensive and also lacks any semblance of class, insight, or intelligence...let alone relevance or logic.
Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc is NOT proof of racism.

You love to point fingers of racism all you like, but when others do it in your own topic you cry foul.

You are also petty & arrogant....you like to discuss perceived racism in a video game (where none exists), but get mad & are intolerant of real examples of racism by people posting in this topic.

1) Develop a sense of reading comprehension and general competency. I focused my posts on the treatment of race in Dragon Age. The article in question uses the games as a means of understanding racism in the past (racial strife between ethnic groups) and the ideal for the future (united in diversity). NO ONE said the games themselves are racist, that the developers were racist or any such assertion. The focus on racism was purely in the context of the game worlds and how those worlds serve as examples of societal models of dealing with race both in the past and the future. Rather than skimming, try reading and perhaps you will actually know of what you speak.

2) There is nothing petty or arrogant in raising this discussion, correcting someone who threatened blacks with violence if they profess that racism exists, or dissuading someone from making swear laden rants about Blacks and Mexicans. The remarks were unnecessary, sometimes bigoted and rife with TOS violations, from making threats to censor bypassing.

3) When did I point fingers? I pointed out the facts about historical and present racism. I then called out someone for only complaining about prejudice from one side while failing to address prejudice from the other side. I then decried prejudice all together and stated it to be a problem regardless of which side it comes from. An article from the Boston Globe (a respected news source) is more reliableand truthful than the anecdotal evidence you and others have offered. If the truth makes me racist, I'd never want to be a liar.

4) I am not intolerant in regards to people to speaking their mind, and my fist response is proof of that, as I kindly and eloquently asked you to remain on topic. I even thanked you for posting. Yet, in your sad world, hospitality equates with incredulity, bigotry and intolerance. I pity you.

Clearly, because you lack fundamental argumentative skills, you desperately seek to make false accusations in order to gain some ill-perceived "higher ground." Unfortunately, your ignorant statements are easily disproven by browsing the previous posts in this thread. I suggest you take a course on race and racism so that you can gain the clarity to understand that someone discussing slavery, the civil rights era or any of those atramentous marks in American history, doesn't make the speaker a racist. If you can't handle historical facts, you are in dire straits...
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#79Dillon360Posted 12/1/2012 2:03:30 AM(edited)
I think it's hilarious that the TC's username is logical

Oh, the irony...
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#80Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 2:06:32 AM
Dillon360 posted...
I think it's hilarious that the TC's username is logical...

Oh, the irony...

Interesting. I would imagine you should be far more concerned with the consequences of your monological activities on the first page in which you threatened Blacks with violence, denied the existence of racism and showed a remarkable inability to maturely conduct yourself with restraint, civility and humility. The greatest display of irony is that you perceive yourself as a victim of a society that judges you for your Whiteness, yet you exhibit the very bigoted behaviors you claim do not exist any longer. Now that is hilarious and ironic.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia