This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think about video game reviews?

#1WBH420Posted 11/29/2012 5:39:01 AM
Topic.
---
"I am the one who knocks" - Heisenberg-
#2Arucard05Posted 11/29/2012 5:40:17 AM
It varies from reviewer to reviewer and from review to review.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Do you want to read awesomely rad reviews and articles? No? ****.
#3WBH420(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 5:42:08 AM
How often do you read reviews before you buy a game?
---
"I am the one who knocks" - Heisenberg-
#4Arucard05Posted 11/29/2012 5:43:01 AM
Just about always.
---
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#5SunDevil77Posted 11/29/2012 5:43:50 AM
Arucard05 posted...
It varies from reviewer to reviewer and from review to review.

This. I read reviews for the list of pros and cons, if I like the pros enough, I buy the game. If the cons outweigh the pros, but I am still interested, I rent.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#6RPG_ApostlePosted 11/29/2012 5:45:20 AM
I read the five lowest and five highest scores.

If everyone says the camera has issues, then odds are that it does.

If one guy says it, it tends to be that particular person wasn't a fan of it.

That goes for most of the issues in games and not just the camera. If everyone complains that inventory management is clunky, then guess what? It's clunky. If it turns out that only one person said it's clunky, it's typically personal preference.

So I do that to discover the pros and cons of the game, if the subject matter appeals to me, the game modes available, all aspects.
---
Arucard05's blog. Endorsed by me. Since I wrote the only thing worth reading on it.
#7pothocketPosted 11/29/2012 5:46:27 AM
I don't read any for games I plan on buying anyways because:

A: I've already decided to buy it

B: Gaming "journalism" is a joke. I don't want to risk spoiling the game because the reviewer is confused about the difference between critiquing the game and writing out a synopsis of the plot.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8RPG_ApostlePosted 11/29/2012 5:49:57 AM
WBH420 posted...
How often do you read reviews before you buy a game?

Ah, this is another story.

I read previews all the time.

Reviews? Not very often. Typically only on games I'm on the fence about.

For example, another user here, kungfucolin, posted a video review of Far Cry 2. A game I always had passing interest in but never really searched it out. His review touched on a lot of points in the game and got me very interested.

Because of his review, I haven't picked up Far Cry 2. Instead, I now have a very big interest in the upcoming Far Cry 3. His review of FC2 got me interested in the series, I saw a lot of potential in it, and it seems FC3 is a massive improvement over 2, so because of Colin, FC3 is at the top of my GameFly list.
---
Arucard05's blog. Endorsed by me. Since I wrote the only thing worth reading on it.
#9abnergoinbigPosted 11/29/2012 5:52:21 AM
I read or watch a review on a game just to see that persons opinions. Usually if im really looking forward to a game and dont want the story or cutscenes to be spoiled, i just go straight to the score and when im done playing i try to compare my experience to that score to see if i agree or disagree with it. Reviews never stop me from purchasing a game, good or bad.
#10lninjasoniclPosted 11/29/2012 5:53:47 AM
I know what games I'm interested in by screenshots and youtube videos, I don't need some reviewer's opinion on whats good or not, especially when he practices his lame comedic material into a review.

A good example is when a reviewer scored Infinite Undiscovery higher than Tales of Vesperia, and that was so far off from my opinion. I'll respect anyones opinion of a game ( as long as they played it ) but it won't affect my decision to buy or not.
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.