This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amazing Sequels That Surpass The Original

#81LMTTNPosted 11/29/2012 6:54:17 PM
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
Jet Set Radio Future
---
PSN: letmetrythisname
Steam: Super AE
#82AtomicPenguin76Posted 11/29/2012 7:02:17 PM
PinkyJustice posted...
gldoorii posted...
Street Fighter 2

This.

Definitely Street Fighter 2. I think the only reason more people haven't said so is because they haven't played the original...2 is so far ahead they're barely the same series.
#83bigybriPosted 11/29/2012 7:05:03 PM
I forgot about SFII!

Back in '91 it was like looking into a rabbit hole. To quote the "Matrix"
I couldn't believe the amount of special moves and strategy. I was amazed by high low combos and think every main sequel brought something new to the table.

SF Alpha: Alpha counters were my favorite b/c they were the same for every character, too bad you lost you meter. The alpha combos were perfected in SFA3 were a majority of the characters had 3 and you could activate your meter simply if you chose to.

VS series: ultimate tribute to comic fans. I really didn't' play it a lot until DREAMCAST b/c EGM said it was so watered down on PS. All in all, it was a great party game, too bad I had to let my little bro use the arcade stick.

EX alpha series: really slow IMO. Is there great strategy there? I'd like to play it again someday if it's worth it? I saw it for the PS2 and was glad I bought a DReamcast. The class of characters.. where did they get Cracker Jack and D Dark?

SFIII: the first time I saw it was in an arcade in summer of '97. Yes, that long ago! I didn't buy it day 1 b/d EGM said "..3rd strike" would inevitable be released, Why buy an inferior game? The Oxygen system is my favorite, but a whole new cast except for Ryu and Ken in the original release made me overwhelmed with new character to button mash.

SFIV: oline play
---
The Infinite Improbability Drive is our New Hope
#84EliteGuard99Posted 11/29/2012 7:26:55 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Quote:Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid (Technically)
Devil May Cry 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Half Life 2
Counter Strike Condition Zero, Source, and Global Offensive

@DarkGam3r
Wait DMC 2?!

This is probably the first and last time I will share the same reaction as you SunDevil77
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser
#85AApt24Posted 11/29/2012 7:36:03 PM
Assassins Creed 2
NHL 08 (I think this was the year the NHL games took off again)
Halo 4 (Surpasses Reach anyway)
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (Say what you want about the sequels to that game, but Modern Warfare redefined Call Of Duty for the better.)
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Mega Man X
---
"This Year in Jerusalem."
#86SunDevil77Posted 11/29/2012 7:38:57 PM
EliteGuard99 posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Quote:Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid (Technically)
Devil May Cry 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Half Life 2
Counter Strike Condition Zero, Source, and Global Offensive

@DarkGam3r
Wait DMC 2?!

This is probably the first and last time I will share the same reaction as you SunDevil77

Haha I can be a jackass sometimes man, don't take it personally. I love everyone.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#87NewShirePosted 11/29/2012 7:39:44 PM
A better question would've been: which games have sequels that aren't as good as the original?

Because of technology and budgets, most sequels turn out better than the originals. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions.
#88DarkSymbiotePosted 11/29/2012 7:49:19 PM
MG2, not MGS2.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#89bigybriPosted 11/29/2012 7:50:07 PM
the majority of this board would suggest "Perfect Dark Zero" and "Devil May Cry 2" are the 2 most hated sequels.
But being an XBOX 360 board, I'm hard pressed to find a lot of examples because, as mentioned, bigger budgets, more testing by developers, consumer communities rather than just word of mouth. I think bad games may be in the past as long as developers dont' get greedy or release too many movie tie ins and holiday rushed released dates.

Looking at my collection the only real dissapointment I have for the 360 is an early game: "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2". Good formula, but bad execution IMO.
---
The Infinite Improbability Drive is our New Hope
#90tgoldbergPosted 11/29/2012 8:01:24 PM
Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I've always liked this game more than Sonic 2.

I felt Super Mario Galaxy was a better game than Sunshine, mostly because it wasn't so dang frustrating.
---
Your favorite game will always be underrated.
Their favorite game will always be overrated.