This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the chances the next-gen console is backwards compatible?

#1PorcupinePosted 11/29/2012 4:15:20 PM
What do you guys think are the chances that the next-gen Xbox console is backwards compatible?

I only recently got my Xbox 360 but it was used so I'm looking towards the future for something to replace this unit before it RRODs, even though it's a Jasper unit.

The Xbox 360 is supposed to be backwards compatible with Xbox games, right? Is this achieved via software emulation, fully compatible hardware to begin with (like a PC), or included legacy hardware (like how launch PS3s emulated PS2 games)?
#2godplaysSNESPosted 11/29/2012 4:20:47 PM
BC for Xbox 1 is fully emulated.

Only MS knows for sure, but the 360 is probably relatively easy to emulate.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#3squarex8264Posted 11/29/2012 4:21:36 PM
The 360 uses software emulation to emulate the original XBOX games. Since some of those original games used very hardware specific optimizations, they couldn't be properly emulated on the 360.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
#4RedFive3Posted 11/29/2012 4:25:24 PM
Nvidia was the graphics card in the original Xbox. Nividia and MS had a falling out so MS switched to ATI for the 360. That is why they had to emulate BC for the 360. If MS still uses ATI for the next Xbox, it will most likely be BC with 360 games with no emulation needed.
---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#5BB52700Posted 11/29/2012 7:56:40 PM
RedFive3 posted...
Nvidia was the graphics card in the original Xbox. Nividia and MS had a falling out so MS switched to ATI for the 360. That is why they had to emulate BC for the 360. If MS still uses ATI for the next Xbox, it will most likely be BC with 360 games with no emulation needed.

yep, it all depends on the graphics card. if they use the same, no royalty fees need to be paid, so it makes BC more likely
---
I do the best Chewbacca impression EVER!
#6BangoSkankPosted 11/29/2012 7:59:14 PM
PRobably not very good. Nothing to do with hardware but HD collections and digital copies of old games have been doing very well this gen.
---
GT: Savage Opopanax
PSN ID: Savage_Opopanax
#7athomas917Posted 11/29/2012 8:46:57 PM
BangoSkank posted...
PRobably not very good. Nothing to do with hardware but HD collections and digital copies of old games have been doing very well this gen.

Some games are never going to get a next gen HD update, especially if the title wasn't that popular. I doubt that we see a "Sneak King" update.
---
Gamertag: Donn Magic Juan
#8RetroFanGirlPosted 11/29/2012 8:48:43 PM
If they make a decent next gen console I really hope it has BC, I want the 360's library without the subpar hardware needed to play it -_-
---
Only Nintendo makes good games.
Playing Final Fantasy XII
#9BangoSkankPosted 11/29/2012 9:05:08 PM
athomas917 posted...
BangoSkank posted...

Some games are never going to get a next gen HD update, especially if the title wasn't that popular. I doubt that we see a "Sneak King" update.

Sneak King came out on both Xbox and Xbox360. Checkmate.
---
GT: Savage Opopanax
PSN ID: Savage_Opopanax
#10OrgeLambartPosted 11/29/2012 9:56:15 PM
I'd say if they can include it as a feature without having to pay royalties or emulate them, we'll see BC, if they need to pay, odds are we won't see it. If a company can include additional featuers with little to no effort they will