This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the chances the next-gen console is backwards compatible?

#21SR71haloPosted 12/3/2012 5:04:29 PM
Hopefull we'll see b/c make a return, I'd hate for my 360 games to go to waste. Make it possible to transfer files and achievements too (but mostly files).
---
Now Leave!
#22Porcupine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:31:54 AM
I imagine it'll be good at first ... Later Ms can cut costs by removing the feature.

The best thing about the type of full backwards compatibility that people are saying is most likely going to be the case with the next-generation xbox, is that there will be no added cost to the console to begin with, and no need to cut costs by later removing the feature. (Which is what happened to the PS3, because it achieved PS2 compatibility via included legacy hardware).

It's like a PC...it doesn't really require any additional hardware to play old games.
#23Dragon NexusPosted 12/4/2012 6:19:49 AM
It depends on whether they go software or hardware.
If they go hardware, there will be a cost involved adding things to make the console more 360-like. If it's purely software that utilises the existing hardware, and assuming that hardware never needs to change, then yes it can be cost free.

But there's also the notion that HD ports have made money this gen. Why give people something for free when they're willing to buy it again?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#24Banana_ManaPosted 12/4/2012 7:25:28 AM
8,000,000 / 10,000,000
---
Current Specs: TV | Xbox | Controller | Pillow | Floor | Two Hands | Two Eyes | Tea-Making Facilities | Assorted Snacks.