This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many gamers cry over ME2 and 3 being action RPGs?

#1pothocketPosted 11/30/2012 2:38:11 PM
I see this time and again. Somehow ME1 is the best game in the series because it was an "actual" RPG, despite having the worst gameplay, sidemissions, environments, variety, everything...

I don't even know what definition of RPG these people are using that excludes ME2 and 3. I assume it's something about stats or numbers, right? Seriously, someone explain to me how ME1 is an RPG but 2 and 3 are not.

To me, it really is like they're pissed just because the series was improved by implementing elements of a "lesser" genre. They act like the jocks stole their D&D source book and are having more fun than they were and aren't even playing by the rules correctly and...OMG did they get girls to play with them? Well, that is just not RPGing. No sir.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 11/30/2012 2:39:57 PM
People dont cry about it being an action RPG, ME1 is basically an action RPG too. Once your stats are high enough its basically like a poor third person shooter.

People where mostly upset at ME2 for a few reasons:

1. gun/armor customization was gone.
2. no xp during missions, you only can levle between missions

And somewhere along the line people say you get less choices in ME2 but thats just bushwa.
#3pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 2:41:59 PM
It's been so long since I played 1 don't even remember the gun/armor customization. What I do remember is having 20 assault rifles with different stats that all look EXACTLY the same.
---
#4Arucard05Posted 11/30/2012 2:42:40 PM
It always seemed silly to me. Mass Effect was always sold as an action/RPG hybrid. Who really cares if the scales tipped a little more in one direction. It's not like it become something it wasn't originally.

It's when they tried a lot of the same stuff to Dragon Age that they made a mess.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#5lostoutlawnbPosted 11/30/2012 2:44:57 PM
I think the direction they took the gameplay was a good one, than again im not into heavy rpgs, deus ex hr and mass effect games are my favorite rpgs because i spend less time comparing stats and more time playing.
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 2:58:45 PM
lostoutlawnb posted...
I think the direction they took the gameplay was a good one, than again im not into heavy rpgs, deus ex hr and mass effect games are my favorite rpgs because i spend less time comparing stats and more time playing.

Exactly. The only reason pen-n-paper old school RPGs even have so many stats is because it's a simulation system.

Ok, after working out the calculations, within this "turn" of 5 seconds you can attack twice with an 80% than 60% chance of landing a hit doing between 10-25 damage...

You needed that because it's the only way to simulate real time events on paper - by reducing it to the odds/chances of any given thing happening (then rolling some dice!). But on a machine that can run these simulations IN real time as well as present them to the player in real time...it doesn't make sense to have RPGs be anything other than action RPGs.

See what I'm saying? Why play turn based simulation of real time events when you can play real time events? The old school style of RPG should be regulated to TACTICs games only, like XCOM.
---
#7SunDevil77Posted 11/30/2012 3:02:39 PM
Imo, ME2 took an idea (ME1) and made it a masterpiece.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#8shawnmckPosted 11/30/2012 3:06:17 PM(edited)
I honestly don't see much difference between Mass Effect 3 & RE6 in how they are perceived by a number of people....
That is to say, they have moved away from the gameplay of their respective roots & have become more focused on 3rd-Person shooting.
However that in & of itself does not make the games horrible by any means.

Mass Effect used to be more RPG and Resident Evil used to be more survival horror.
Both games made no bones about moving more towards being a TPS then they were originally designed.
Yet this causes some to outright ridicule the games and claim that they "suck" when they don't.....they have just changed.
You not liking the changes =/= to the game sucking.
If that were the case then I could claim that GTA 3 & 4 sucks because they are nothing like the originals...or Fallout 3 sucks because it is nothing like the originals....and I could go on.
#9bossk5Posted 11/30/2012 3:07:13 PM
I love how expressing one's disappointment equates to " crying" here on these f****** boards.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#10pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 3:10:07 PM
bossk5 posted...
I love how expressing one's disappointment equates to " crying" here on these f****** boards.

I doubt you love that. Now come on, get to explaining your disappointment over the series being improved upon.
---