This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many gamers cry over ME2 and 3 being action RPGs?

#11Silent Sniper IVPosted 11/30/2012 4:12:00 PM(edited)
Personally I feel like in comparison to the sequels, ME1's gameplay was pretty sloppy, janky, and encouraged boring tactics like constantly using black-hole or other cooldowns. The rpg elements they removed really weren't very meaningful. I remember ME1 having a ton of weapon options but most being pretty bad and people just using spectre weapons or whatever. I felt like in 2 and 3 the weapons were more purpose-oriented and felt like they handled differently. I wish they would redo 1 in the new engine and revamp it a bit.
---
"Nerd" and "gamer" have become the ultimate consumerist identity. Completely devoid of values outside of consumption without reflection.
#12Arucard05Posted 11/30/2012 4:11:35 PM
I honestly don't see much difference between Mass Effect 3 & RE6 in how they are perceived by a number of people....
That is to say, they have moved away from the gameplay of their respective roots & have become more focused on 3rd-Person shooting.
However that in & of itself does not make the games horrible by any means.

Mass Effect 3 was still very highly received (other than the ending), Resident Evil 6 was not. That should tell you that there's a little something else with RE6 other than "it's a bit different".
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Do you want to read awesomely rad reviews and articles? No? ****.
#13bossk5Posted 11/30/2012 4:17:51 PM(edited)
pothocket posted...
bossk5 posted...
I love how expressing one's disappointment equates to " crying" here on these f****** boards.

I doubt you love that. Now come on, get to explaining your disappointment over the series being improved upon.

Why? The tone of your posts make it obvious that you aren't interested in any point of view that doesn't line up with your own.

It would just be " crying" in your narrow mind. I've debated this subject a million times over, I'm not about to get into it with someone so obviously stubborn.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#14Dragon NexusPosted 11/30/2012 4:15:20 PM
Because it's not an RPG if you don't use swords and magic.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#15EyeSeeNo1Posted 11/30/2012 4:24:09 PM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
People dont cry about it being an action RPG, ME1 is basically an action RPG too. Once your stats are high enough its basically like a poor third person shooter.

People where mostly upset at ME2 for a few reasons:

1. gun/armor customization was gone.
2. no xp during missions, you only can levle between missions

And somewhere along the line people say you get less choices in ME2 but thats just bushwa.

This.

BioWare changed a few things around to "streamline" the game and some of their design choices upset people because they felt like the series was going to begin straying away from what the first Mass Effect had.

I loved ME2, but its easy to see where some complaints came from like the whole "Mission Accomplished" Screen made everything feel like you simply had a character you could customize to play through a level with (not that I felt this was the case). They took away lots of the various armor and weapons the first Mass Effect had (not that it was a great selection to begin with, but the potential to expand it to something amazing was there) and instead gave you like weapons and armor that didn't really allow for much unique character customization.
---
http://i54.tinypic.com/o50pr9.gif
#16pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 4:25:16 PM
bossk5 posted...
pothocket posted...
bossk5 posted...
I love how expressing one's disappointment equates to " crying" here on these f****** boards.

I doubt you love that. Now come on, get to explaining your disappointment over the series being improved upon.

Why? The tone of your posts make it obvious that you aren't interested in any point of view that doesn't line up with your own.

It would just be " crying" in your narrow mind. I've debated this subject a million times over, I'm not about to get into it with someone so obviously stubborn.

Can you at least explain why ME1 is an RPG but 2 and 3 are not?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#17PensatoPosted 11/30/2012 4:27:50 PM
The main issues some have with ME2 is that a bit too much was changed and BioWare didn't quite come through on all of their promises with it. A lot probably feel the game wouldn't have changed as much if EA hadn't bought them.

There are a also parts of the story in ME2 that doesn't jive well with what was established in the first game. ME3's story built off of ME2's so it had some of the same issues but overall it was better paced and developed...well until the end. In fact, the end of ME3 kind of shows BioWare wasn't really sure what to do with the story.

Then there's the gameplay. I'm sure it looked great on paper, but there are far better shooters out there. BioWare just didn't know how to implement the mechanics well.

ME2 and ME3 are good games. They're just not as good as they could have been.
#18bossk5Posted 11/30/2012 4:38:02 PM
pothocket posted...
bossk5 posted...
pothocket posted...
bossk5 posted...

Can you at least explain why ME1 is an RPG but 2 and 3 are not?

I never said otherwise. I was perhaps too vague with this statement " I've debated this subject a million times over,".
I will say that what you call improvements may not be so "improved" in others eyes.
Like I said, I won't debate with you because you have already shown you are incapable doing do so objectively with your silly " y tHeY cRyorZz!" Bs.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#19randomweirdoPosted 11/30/2012 4:39:54 PM
pothocket posted...
lostoutlawnb posted...
I think the direction they took the gameplay was a good one, than again im not into heavy rpgs, deus ex hr and mass effect games are my favorite rpgs because i spend less time comparing stats and more time playing.

Exactly. The only reason pen-n-paper old school RPGs even have so many stats is because it's a simulation system.

Ok, after working out the calculations, within this "turn" of 5 seconds you can attack twice with an 80% than 60% chance of landing a hit doing between 10-25 damage...

You needed that because it's the only way to simulate real time events on paper - by reducing it to the odds/chances of any given thing happening (then rolling some dice!). But on a machine that can run these simulations IN real time as well as present them to the player in real time...it doesn't make sense to have RPGs be anything other than action RPGs.

And what about games with a party instead of just one character? Action is best for one character, but when you get a party then it comes down to a choice between doing turn based to allow the player control of all actions, or having the rest of the party be controlled by AI that often is going to suck in comparison to actual players. Because a person isn't going to be able to in real time control the actions of multiple characters.
#20peter_888Posted 11/30/2012 4:41:23 PM
I just felt that they could of improved on the old formula. The first game might not have the best combat but it was pretty unique. So I would of like that they improved on the formual then just scraping it.

that and planet scanning totally SUCKS in ME2
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.